Getting Into Medicine After Watching Scrubs

I think I might want to get involved in the medical field. I have always thought that I would end up in Hollywood trying to become a famous actor, and I still might. Now I know the T.V show is probably nothing like what really happens in hospitals. I understand it is alot more dramatic, (like house or Grey’s Anatomy or ER.) I have been in a hospital before and I really enjoy the atmosphere.

Could anyone give me some sort of insight as to what it would be like to begin either one of these pathways? (From experiences)

just watched apolloo 13 an i think i wanna be atronaut. wat u think?

You can do it Lanky, I know you can!

Coincidentally I just watched Toxic Avengers and I want to be a janitor…

i just watched jurassic park and i think i want to be a raptor. what do you think?

My girl is in the medical field. She graduated with a 3.98gpa and comes home super stressed about (what I see as little things) little things quite often. I included the gpa to show it’s not the people that get 3.0s and whatnot through school that have a hard time with medicine, even the top 5 in their class do.

It’s not something you go into b/c you like a friggin TV show lol.

If you prescribe the wrong treatment, medicine or dosage of medicine…they could die. Can you handle that?

I think I might want to get involved in the maintaining of baseball fields. I have always thought that I would end up in Bollywood trying to become a famous belly dancer, and I still might. Now I know how I do my lawn is probably nothing like what really happens in the Bigs(already have the buzzwords down). I understand it is alot more lawn striping and maybe even some painting of brown areas, (like Fenway or Yankee Stadium or like that scene in Forrest Gump where he just cuts the grass for free.) I have been to a baseball game before and I really enjoy the atmosphere.

Could anyone give me some sort of insight as to what it would be like to begin either one of these pathways? (From experiences)

I just watched 300 and i think i want to be a spartan. What do you think?

Hospital work blows!!!

I worked at a hospital for a while and it scarred me for life. The defining moment of that experience is when a 240 lb 75 year old woman had to come to the ER, we had to undress her and stick a catheter in her Vag. It was the most traumatizing experience of my life.

My dad is an ER physician and he hates it, mainly because he is tired of dealing with dumb people. He hates it so much that he quit and started his own business taking a huge cut in pay.

[quote]riverhawk23 wrote:
I think I might want to get involved in the maintaining of baseball fields. I have always thought that I would end up in Bollywood trying to become a famous belly dancer, and I still might. Now I know how I do my lawn is probably nothing like what really happens in the Bigs(already have the buzzwords down). I understand it is alot more lawn striping and maybe even some painting of brown areas, (like Fenway or Yankee Stadium or like that scene in Forrest Gump where he just cuts the grass for free.) I have been to a baseball game before and I really enjoy the atmosphere.

[/quote]

Well first thing you want to do is run. Really fast. And if something gets in your way, move.

Also, you are going to be in school for 8 years and then 2 years of residency. 10 years before you are even a “doctor”. That sucks and so will the debt. At the same time though once you put in your dues, 5-10 years, you can be making 250-300k/year and I sure as hell can’t argue with that.

I just watched Deep throat…

I just watched Gladiator and now I want to become a gladiator … I like… swords n stufff - what ya think?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I just watched Deep throat…[/quote]

so you want to be a dick sucker? I don’t know where you were going with that one Prof.

I just watched CSI and now I wanna become red-headed, any advice?

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I just watched Deep throat…

so you want to be a dick sucker? I don’t know where you were going with that one Prof.[/quote]

I think that was the joke. :wink:

Thanks Lanky … glad you’re here to point out the blatantly obvious to me :slight_smile:

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
I just watched CSI and now I wanna become red-headed, any advice?[/quote]

Winner

polo- extra points for the Better Off Dead reference

I just watched Fresh Prince and I want to be black and rich with a sweet fade.

Wat you think?

“Working in medicine” by itself means nothing, you could make from 12K-500K a year with such parameters and perform anything from filing medical records to performing emergency thoracostomies.

Do you want to actually see patients? Do you want prescribing authority for medications? Would you rather work in rehabilitation, medical teaching, assisting, nursing? Are you willing to get a certificate, Associates, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, Post doctorate?