Getting into Canada with a DUI

I got a DUI, I think about 17 or 18 years ago. From my understanding, it is a crap shoot on whether or not I can get into Canada to visit.

Anyone have any real experience with this?

I would love to go see my Dallas Stars at a road game.

You’ll need a minimum of two DUI’s under your belt before you can even begin to think about traveling to Canada.

I recommend driving to the border while in the throes of a blackout.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I got a DUI, I think about 17 or 18 years ago. From my understanding, it is a crap shoot on whether or not I can get into Canada to visit.

Anyone have any real experience with this?

I would love to go see my Dallas Stars at a road game. [/quote]

I’ll ask a CBSA officer for you. Hang tight.

What my contact told me is that as long as you can prove you completed the terms of your sentence 10 years ago you should be good. This is assuming it was a simple DUI and no other charges were laid. Did you damage property or injure anyone?

canadians do not have sense of humour we had beer in car not drunk yet would not let us cross border
told us not to come back
drank beer went to bar smoked weed with santa claus who needs canada anyhow

[quote]Watchdog wrote:
What my contact told me is that as long as you can prove you completed the terms of your sentence 10 years ago you should be good. This is assuming it was a simple DUI and no other charges were laid. Did you damage property or injure anyone?[/quote]
Simple DUI, pulled over, deserved it. No injury, damage to property, other charges of any sort since. Finished everything ahead of time

Contact the Consulate and see what they say.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:

[quote]Watchdog wrote:
What my contact told me is that as long as you can prove you completed the terms of your sentence 10 years ago you should be good. This is assuming it was a simple DUI and no other charges were laid. Did you damage property or injure anyone?[/quote]
Simple DUI, pulled over, deserved it. No injury, damage to property, other charges of any sort since. Finished everything ahead of time[/quote]

Your situation is a daily occurrence at US-Canada border crossings. I’ve been told by the very people who would be questioning you upon entry that you are good to go provided there are no holes in your story and your travel is legitimate.

Enjoy the power of the US dollar while you’re in Canada!

This seems relevant:

http://www.temporaryresidentpermitcanada.com/criminal-record.php

"Deemed Rehabilitated

If an individual only has a single misdemeanor on their record, 10 years after they complete their full sentence they will be deemed rehabilitated by virtue of time and will be admissible to Canada once again. If a person has more than one misdemeanor, or has a felony conviction on their criminal record, however, deemed rehabilitation does not apply to them and they will never become admissible by the passage of time. This means that anyone with multiple misdemeanors or a single felony on their criminal record will be inadmissible to Canada even 30 or 40 years later unless they have been given special approval for entry."

I know plenty of people with much more then DUI’s and been to Canada no problem… But for what its worth your DUI is 10yrs old and most states have a wash out period generally 5-10yrs… You would be wise to have it expunged off your record since you have no further DUI’s… This way your insurance rates can drop a bit and if you ever get a 2nd it will be charged as a first…

A local attorney should be able to do this for $250-500…or you can stumple through the paperwork solo… ((really wish I did this btw… got my 2nd 14yrs after the first when it could been just a #1) Very expensive :frowning: Also youll never have to worry about Canada or any other trips

Since more than 10 years have passed since the end of your sentence (I assume), you are “deemed rehabilitated” as long as you haven’t had any further run-ins with the law. You may have to provide supporting documentation when you attempt to enter Canada: