Getting in Shape?

I’m finally starting back in the gym. after some injury’s and a lot of time on my ass I put on a lot of body fat. I have been on a 5 day a week in the gym with running and weight concentration. I have been on HOT-ROX and TRIBEX for the last month and a half since starting this whole thing, and also about 200g of protein a day. any help on fat loss and getting rid of all this extra weight would be greatly appreciated.

started
weight:290
body fat:38 percent

currently
weight:280

How tall are you? Just wondering so I can picture how you look with 280 lbs. If you aren’t like 7 feet, I think that HIIT would be too hard for you now. I’d say do about 15 minutes of a good pace running so you are exhausted by the end. Run 3 days a week on your non-lifting days. Remember to stretch. However, if you think you can handle a HIIT routine (Walking 90 seconds, sprinting 30 seconds for 16 minutes for example), by all means, do it. Just remember to do some dynamic stretches before running, you don’t want to pull anything on your first sprint.

It’s great that you’re getting in shape!

I had my best results in fatloss from taking cod liver oil at high doses (some recommend 30-45gr of oil per day), and cycling at an interval intensity after each workout while watching my diet.

Just search the site and find something you could implement. Search for John Berardi’s success with Dave Tate. Though results will vary on your own commitment, JB’s Precision Nutrition seems to be the dietary plan many people have had astounding results on. He heavily recommends fish oils and Greens+, and is less enthusiastic about stimulants, such as your HOT-ROX.

Lonnie Lowery has a fitness plan called “100 workouts from ripped city” that stipulates 45-60 minutes of non-panting cardio workout, such as cycling, performed before breakfast will provide good lipolysis. Though the jury is still out on his scheme, if you could cycle or walk briskly to work or school every morning and eat your oatmeal there, there’s probably nothing but benefit in it.

What’s certain is that resistance training such as lifting weights combined with cardio workouts and a clean diet of whole foods and supplements where needed is where the real magic happens.

You have to be certain you can sustain the level of activity you choose for a long haul. Consistency is king here.

Take a measurement of your belly now and jot it down, it’s the most important statistic at this point. You really want that measurement to go below 37" (94cm). Also take some pictures. They’re good for gauging success.

Never doubt you’ll get there.

Hmm, you say you are eating a lot of protein and you are taking weight loss supplements, but how much are you eating in total?

On a different note, at your weight I would be hesitant about doing a lot of high impact cardio.

Look into the nutrition articles on this site and make sure you are eating to support fat loss. At your weight it should be fairly easy to lean down somewhat.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
How tall are you? Just wondering so I can picture how you look with 280 lbs. If you aren’t like 7 feet, I think that HIIT would be too hard for you now. I’d say do about 15 minutes of a good pace running so you are exhausted by the end. Run 3 days a week on your non-lifting days. Remember to stretch. However, if you think you can handle a HIIT routine (Walking 90 seconds, sprinting 30 seconds for 16 minutes for example), by all means, do it. Just remember to do some dynamic stretches before running, you don’t want to pull anything on your first sprint.[/quote]

im 5’10 and i run daily so a mile is my normal to warm up then i lift for another hour or so

[quote]vroom wrote:
Hmm, you say you are eating a lot of protein and you are taking weight loss supplements, but how much are you eating in total?

On a different note, at your weight I would be hesitant about doing a lot of high impact cardio.

Look into the nutrition articles on this site and make sure you are eating to support fat loss. At your weight it should be fairly easy to lean down somewhat.[/quote]

usually im at a bowl of raisin bran in the morning and a protien shake.then ill eat a protein bar later then usually a chicken cesar for lunch then shake then steak or chicken for dinner then work out then shake before bed. all with tons of water during the day if you have any better suggestions that would be greatly appreciated

[quote]nanobyte wrote:
It’s great that you’re getting in shape!

I had my best results in fatloss from taking cod liver oil at high doses (some recommend 30-45gr of oil per day), and cycling at an interval intensity after each workout while watching my diet.

Just search the site and find something you could implement. Search for John Berardi’s success with Dave Tate. Though results will vary on your own commitment, JB’s Precision Nutrition seems to be the dietary plan many people have had astounding results on. He heavily recommends fish oils and Greens+, and is less enthusiastic about stimulants, such as your HOT-ROX.

Lonnie Lowery has a fitness plan called “100 workouts from ripped city” that stipulates 45-60 minutes of non-panting cardio workout, such as cycling, performed before breakfast will provide good lipolysis. Though the jury is still out on his scheme, if you could cycle or walk briskly to work or school every morning and eat your oatmeal there, there’s probably nothing but benefit in it.

What’s certain is that resistance training such as lifting weights combined with cardio workouts and a clean diet of whole foods and supplements where needed is where the real magic happens.

You have to be certain you can sustain the level of activity you choose for a long haul. Consistency is king here.

Take a measurement of your belly now and jot it down, it’s the most important statistic at this point. You really want that measurement to go below 37" (94cm). Also take some pictures. They’re good for gauging success.

Never doubt you’ll get there.[/quote]

thanks for the advise. im doing the resistence and cardio stuff 5 days a week and i take the suppliments to bring up my testosterone level because after reading many of the articles im assuming my estrogen level is causing me to retain all this fat. are there are any better suppliments i should take for my situation?

[quote]dspmlb1 wrote:
usually im at a bowl of raisin bran in the morning and a protien shake.then ill eat a protein bar later then usually a chicken cesar for lunch then shake then steak or chicken for dinner then work out then shake before bed. all with tons of water during the day if you have any better suggestions that would be greatly appreciated
[/quote]

Protein bars, in my experience, suck ass. Alot of fat you don’t want/need, plus insulin affecting sugar substitutes. Not something you’re going to want to eat daily. You’re much better off eating peanutbutter on some whole wheat bread or such, if you need a “snack”, or fruit.

Peanut butter has been shown to reduce people’s total caloric intake during the day due to its satiety, and it’s a source of plant-derived omega 3. Make sure it’s real peanut butter though, the ingredients should read “peanuts and salt” and nothing else.

If you’re in america, it should also have the warning label “May contain traces of nuts”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, adding 3 apples without any change to a person’s diet has been shown to cause loss of fat.

Are you eating vegetables with those chicken and steak meals? Try eating steamed or fresh vegetables with each meal, preferably eating all the protein on your plate first, then moving on to veg.

Try to workout how many calories you eat per day.

[quote]dspmlb1 wrote:
thanks for the advise. im doing the resistence and cardio stuff 5 days a week and i take the suppliments to bring up my testosterone level because after reading many of the articles im assuming my estrogen level is causing me to retain all this fat. are there are any better suppliments i should take for my situation?[/quote]

You could be right, it might be estrogen. In which case milk thistle would help your liver reconstitute itself. If you’ve been a drinker in the past, it would be wise to stop all that and let your liver do something productive :slight_smile:

But mostly you need to dial in nutrition. That sparks the metabolism, and metabolism will help you produce Testosterone and get rid of Estrogen far better than any T-booster can help you now.

If you’re working out 5 days a week, make sure you sleep well.

But also remember, that at your level it’s most important to get the right sort of nutrition and a solid level of exercise. A deficit of calories and insulin control are the name of the game.

More workout now is not necessarily better, because our bodies are masters at adjusting, and are very homeostatic (want to remain as they are). If your fatloss progress starts to wane, what could you improve? If you’re already working out at full strength when you plateau, it’s impossible to work harder.

But I understand where you’re coming from, we all max out in the beginning. Those who don’t aren’t really committed in the first place.

Your running a mile then lifting every day or well 5 days a week??

I think you should change this and do ONE or the other each day or atleast make the resistance training the main stay three to four days a week. then cardio following. I am betting intensity (loads) is lack luster and compromised due to doing to much and not quality.

I would post your program and daily diet EXACT of each and let us critique it.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Your running a mile then lifting every day or well 5 days a week??

I think you should change this and do ONE or the other each day or atleast make the resistance training the main stay three to four days a week. then cardio following. I am betting intensity (loads) is lack luster and compromised due to doing to much and not quality.

I would post your program and daily diet EXACT of each and let us critique it.

Phill[/quote]

ok so here we go this has been seeming to be my consistendy
Monday-
Food-bowl of raisin bran and protein shake in the morning,protien bar mid morning,chicken cesar for lunch, protein shake mid day,chicken or steak with vegies(brocili,squash,cucumbers) and a shake before bed.it all works out to be around i think only about 1800 calories per day
Workout- run mile then lift chest for about an hour
tuesday-
food-about the same
workout-run mile then lift biceps
wednesday-
food-same
workout-run mile lift shoulders and back
thursday-
food-same
workout-run mile then lift triceps and abs
friday-
food-same
workout-run mile then lift quads and hamstrings

1800 kcalories a day is a very bad thing to do to yourself. Even somebody who is 150 pounds needs more then this. You could probably consume 3000 kcalories a day and still lose weight while at 280 pounds.

If you eat as little as 1800 kcalories a day your metabolism will surely slow down, along with other such factors such as your muscles and organs not getting the nutrients that they need. Also, try replacing some of those protein shakes with whole protein such as sardines or tuna.
Lay off the cardio too. Put more effort into weight trainning.

A really good read is a book called
“Testosterone Advantage Plan”
by “Lou Schuler”.
Explains some really eyebrow raising theory’s.
Good Luck