T Nation

Getting In Shape (Velocity Diet?)

Height: 5’8"
Weight: 232 pounds
BodyFat %: Unknown

Waist: 33 inches
Around the belly button: ~43 inches

I want to get back into shape. Im experienced enough to know my lifts and nutrition.

I got lazy after an elbow fracture and well calories add up over 2 years.

I’ve debated on the velocity diet.

I am between the velocity diet to help change my attack/outlook on nutrition or simply cleaning up my diet and keeping the carbs low while taking plenty of fiber/healthy fats.

Does anyone have some feedback?

are you training??

other than that, its really just a choice to make both could be good either way you will have to be consistent in the end

Phill

No im not currently training. I got lazy after breaking my elbow, and now 2 years later im ready to get back into the gym.

I have a feeling once i actually start back in the gym everything will fall back into place, healthy eating habits, etc.

I recently gave my client a healthy diet that was centered around lean meats, salad and spinach with olive oil, nuts and vegetables. He lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks but it was obvious that he was not controlling his portions (since he wasn’t losing weight very rapidly).

I put him on the velocity diet, which takes guesswork out of the equation, and he lost 10 pounds in 1 week.

Get on the velocity diet, do it for a month, lose 30 pounds of fat, then shift to a sensible healthy diet and watch your strength skyrocket.

Make sure you’re lifting weights to spare your muscle and target fat for weight loss.

[quote]bretc wrote:
I recently gave my client a healthy diet that was centered around lean meats, salad and spinach with olive oil, nuts and vegetables. He lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks but it was obvious that he was not controlling his portions (since he wasn’t losing weight very rapidly).

I put him on the velocity diet, which takes guesswork out of the equation, and he lost 10 pounds in 1 week.

Get on the velocity diet, do it for a month, lose 30 pounds of fat, then shift to a sensible healthy diet and watch your strength skyrocket.

Make sure you’re lifting weights to spare your muscle and target fat for weight loss.[/quote]

What the hell?! 10lbs in 3 weeks isnt rapid?! 10lbs in one week is borderline crazy- even for the v-diet.

To the OP: I say skip the V-diet for now. You’ll make progress by just getting back in the gym. Add a clean diet and you’ll be making lots of progress.

Perhaps, months from now when your progress slows then you might want to give the V-diet a shot.

Thanks guys.

As soon as my back recovers from this muscle pull - ill be hitting the weights again.

I want to believe everything will fall back into place once i start lifting, but if after a month I haven’t completely cleaned my act up, i will run with the Velocity Diet.

Thanks again.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
bretc wrote:
I recently gave my client a healthy diet that was centered around lean meats, salad and spinach with olive oil, nuts and vegetables. He lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks but it was obvious that he was not controlling his portions (since he wasn’t losing weight very rapidly).

I put him on the velocity diet, which takes guesswork out of the equation, and he lost 10 pounds in 1 week.

Get on the velocity diet, do it for a month, lose 30 pounds of fat, then shift to a sensible healthy diet and watch your strength skyrocket.

Make sure you’re lifting weights to spare your muscle and target fat for weight loss.

What the hell?! 10lbs in 3 weeks isnt rapid?! 10lbs in one week is borderline crazy- even for the v-diet.

To the OP: I say skip the V-diet for now. You’ll make progress by just getting back in the gym. Add a clean diet and you’ll be making lots of progress.

Perhaps, months from now when your progress slows then you might want to give the V-diet a shot.[/quote]

Well this client was 270 pounds, had not been exercising and was eating like a horse and drinking like a fish. A 30 pound loss of bodyfat in one month would be very typical in this situation.

Some snippets…

[quote]RonPWood wrote:
I want to get back into shape. Im experienced enough to know my lifts and nutrition.[/quote]

[quote]RonPWood wrote:
I have a feeling once i actually start back in the gym everything will fall back into place, healthy eating habits, etc.[/quote]

[quote]RonPWood wrote:
As soon as my back recovers from this muscle pull - ill be hitting the weights again.[/quote]

You seem like a reasonable guy, who means well. But really it sounds like you aren’t that committed to this. The Velocity Diet may be too drastic for you right now until you make sure you are fully back into the swing of things. Starting a little slower and making sure everything lines up will likely lead to better results. Start with JB’s 7 rules and go from there. Once you make some progress give the V-Diet a go.

Well I obviously can’t go lift when I can barely stand up, now can I?

I understand your concern and I appreciate it. I agree with you that the velocity diet might be to extreme right now, which is why I plan on “simplifying my diet”, as Waterbury has said ,and begin a routine.

Thanks for the comments.
PS: I got a massage today and my back is feeling better, i will get another tomorrow and see how I am by this weekend.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Some snippets…

RonPWood wrote:
I want to get back into shape. Im experienced enough to know my lifts and nutrition.

RonPWood wrote:
I have a feeling once i actually start back in the gym everything will fall back into place, healthy eating habits, etc.

RonPWood wrote:
As soon as my back recovers from this muscle pull - ill be hitting the weights again.

You seem like a reasonable guy, who means well. But really it sounds like you aren’t that committed to this. The Velocity Diet may be too drastic for you right now until you make sure you are fully back into the swing of things. Starting a little slower and making sure everything lines up will likely lead to better results. Start with JB’s 7 rules and go from there. Once you make some progress give the V-Diet a go.[/quote]

[quote]RonPWood wrote:
I want to get back into shape. Im experienced enough to know my lifts and nutrition. [/quote]

No offense man, but doesn’t “getting back into shape” refer to rebuilding cardiovascular fitness levels? Surely that’s more important than any severe dieting plan.

[quote]RonPWood wrote:
Height: 5’8"
Weight: 232 pounds
BodyFat %: Unknown

Waist: 33 inches
Around the belly button: ~43 inches

I want to get back into shape. Im experienced enough to know my lifts and nutrition.

I got lazy after an elbow fracture and well calories add up over 2 years.

I’ve debated on the velocity diet.

I am between the velocity diet to help change my attack/outlook on nutrition or simply cleaning up my diet and keeping the carbs low while taking plenty of fiber/healthy fats.

Does anyone have some feedback?

[/quote]

no feedback mate, but I know exactly what you mean - I have a knee prob and same has occured for me, F! -
Damn hard to lose now, tho’ me kneeis still F’ed.

Generally yes - the reasons I have looked into the extreme Velocity diet area:
1 - simplicity
2 - many people have had dramatic mental changes during where they no longer crave pizza but instead want broccoli(just an example).

I want to get back to where I can run if I have to and not lose my breath. Which would come from training. Not to mention that getting fat and not working out has caused some nice muscle loss.

Just as a last thought, i have always felt if you don’t have the diet buckled down, then you wont get where you want to. So first and foremost for me is getting my diet organized.

[quote]chillain wrote:
RonPWood wrote:
I want to get back into shape. Im experienced enough to know my lifts and nutrition.

No offense man, but doesn’t “getting back into shape” refer to rebuilding cardiovascular fitness levels? Surely that’s more important than any severe dieting plan.

[/quote]