T Nation

Getting Home Gym Equipment?

in my area most stores dumb bells stop at 45lbs and a few places go up to 60. However, as im still piecing a home gym together and have nothing left but DB’s left to buy I was wondering if any one has suggestions on sites that sale dumb bells in varying weights (prefer Hex) that aren’t over priced in S&H? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advice.

Look to CraigsList in your general area for Power Block brand or IronMaster brand adjustable DBs.

I am in Los Angeles. There are companies here which sell used commercial gym equipment. I have picked up some extremely good equipment for my home gym.

I bought a power rack for my room and bought 800 lbs of weight over time from the net(kijiji or craiglist)

what about dumbbell handles?

I got 2/$40 off amazon. I just load them up with 5s,10s,and 25s. They aren’t as compact as the Hex dumbbells. And If you want to load them up past like 60 lbs it starts to get cumbersome, they are good for curls/tricep extensions, and single arm rows, but they are awful for farmer walks, and press variations. This is unless you have a large amount of 5/10 lb plates, which allow for more compact weight due to their reduced diameter when compared to 25s, 35s, and 45s.

I would suggest starting with the handles and loading them with plates which can be used on a barbell as well. I would invest in a big dumbbell set down the road.

I bought my barbell plates off of craigslist, and I believe I got 450 lbs for $210, and I had to haggle with the guy to get it down to that price, and they are lower end plates (Chinese, not York or Barbell).

In MN, I find guys on craigslist who have a connection with a distributor. The distributor sells large amounts of equipment that they acquire from gyms that either close or upgrade their equipment. They’re usually easy to spot, they have multiple listings on craigslist of large pieces, or amounts of equipment.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
what about dumbbell handles?

I got 2/$40 off amazon. I just load them up with 5s,10s,and 25s. They aren’t as compact as the Hex dumbbells. And If you want to load them up past like 60 lbs it starts to get cumbersome, they are good for curls/tricep extensions, and single arm rows, but they are awful for farmer walks, and press variations. This is unless you have a large amount of 5/10 lb plates, which allow for more compact weight due to their reduced diameter when compared to 25s, 35s, and 45s. [/quote]
I second this idea.

The olympic handles that Dick’s sells can fit something like 200 pounds per handle. I tried it out once. I’d invest in some good collars if you’re going to do that though.

I third this you can easily fit 200 pounds using 25’s

I use muffler clamps on mine.