Getting Grief for Low Carb Diet?

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]NotaQuitta wrote:

[quote]eightohfive wrote:
i’ll just lift my shirt and ask them what their diet is doing for them… haha[/quote]

Are you implying that eating carbs serve no purpose?
[/quote]

obviously not, considering the name of the thread is “Getting Grief for LOW Carb Diet”[/quote]

Ok let me rephrase that:
Are you implying that eating medium/high(er)-carb diets serve no purpose?

Because those are wonderful for you know, stuff like getting big and strong an all…

[quote]NotaQuitta wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]NotaQuitta wrote:

[quote]eightohfive wrote:
i’ll just lift my shirt and ask them what their diet is doing for them… haha[/quote]

Are you implying that eating carbs serve no purpose?
[/quote]

obviously not, considering the name of the thread is “Getting Grief for LOW Carb Diet”[/quote]

Ok let me rephrase that:
Are you implying that eating medium/high(er)-carb diets serve no purpose?

Because those are wonderful for you know, stuff like getting big and strong an all…[/quote]

No one here was ever saying that eating low carbs is the best way to get big, although I will say for almost everyone it is the best way to get lean :slight_smile:

It is a thread for those who have or are on low carb diets and receive “grief” for it.

I have been Paleo for a year, and I have come across a bunch of naysayers. my family in particular. Such is life. I sternly believe that limiting grains is optimal to our overall fitness. The fact is, that if you did an “apples to apples” comparison of lets say 200 calories of grains vs 200 calories from veggies; grains lose. the vitamin and mineral content in veggies smashes those in grains. Since going paleo, I have lost almost 20% bodyfat without much effort. I eat about 2400 calories a day, so I am not suffering. like the other bro said, you just show em your abs and then ask em how their diet is workin for them…just like in all walks of life, there will be those that have uneducated negative opinions. It only matters if they are obstacles, and I don’t know about you, but I jump the fu*k over obstacles…I try not to let naysayers slow me down. There are tons of athletes out there that had people tell them that they were doing stuff wrong but ended up being legends in their sport. Have the heart of a lion, and follow your heart my friend…

[quote]metabolik99 wrote:
I have been Paleo for a year, and I have come across a bunch of naysayers. my family in particular. Such is life. I sternly believe that limiting grains is optimal to our overall fitness. The fact is, that if you did an “apples to apples” comparison of lets say 200 calories of grains vs 200 calories from veggies; grains lose. the vitamin and mineral content in veggies smashes those in grains. Since going paleo, I have lost almost 20% bodyfat without much effort. I eat about 2400 calories a day, so I am not suffering. like the other bro said, you just show em your abs and then ask em how their diet is workin for them…just like in all walks of life, there will be those that have uneducated negative opinions. It only matters if they are obstacles, and I don’t know about you, but I jump the fu*k over obstacles…I try not to let naysayers slow me down. There are tons of athletes out there that had people tell them that they were doing stuff wrong but ended up being legends in their sport. Have the heart of a lion, and follow your heart my friend…[/quote]
Dropping 20%, what does your (and OP) daily diet ratios/amounts consist of? Cals/Pro/Fat/Carbs
I’m curious to know what everyone is referring “low” to: < 30, 50, 100 carbs?

[quote]jw154505 wrote:

I have been Paleo for a year, and I have come across a bunch of naysayers. my family in particular. Such is life. I sternly believe that limiting grains is optimal to our overall fitness. The fact is, that if you did an “apples to apples” comparison of lets say 200 calories of grains vs 200 calories from veggies; grains lose. the vitamin and mineral content in veggies smashes those in grains. Since going paleo, I have lost almost 20% bodyfat without much effort. I eat about 2400 calories a day, so I am not suffering. like the other bro said, you just show em your abs and then ask em how their diet is workin for them…just like in all walks of life, there will be those that have uneducated negative opinions. It only matters if they are obstacles, and I don’t know about you, but I jump the fu*k over obstacles…I try not to let naysayers slow me down. There are tons of athletes out there that had people tell them that they were doing stuff wrong but ended up being legends in their sport. Have the heart of a lion, and follow your heart my friend…[/quote]
Dropping 20%, what does your (and OP) daily diet ratios/amounts consist of? Cals/Pro/Fat/Carbs
I’m curious to know what everyone is referring “low” to: < 30, 50, 100 carbs? [/quote]

Charles Poliquin refers to low carb as 50 carbs or below.

For me…

60 or so carbs on training days, for starchy carbs, but I dont really count veggies or minuet carbs found in like cottage cheese, or other stuff like that, so around there. I might up it a little at a time to try and put on some quality mass. I wont raise it too much at one time.

Non-training days I try to go completely no starchy carbs.

Cheat meal days…idk, I usually just eat as much as I want in one meal, trying to get it high in carbs with some protein, and trying not to put too much fat into it.

I completely understand your enthusiasm, and have been there/done that for YEARS. I find that almost everyone I know that does this thing we love to do eventually just stops talking about it with people who aren’t into it. We just don’t bring it up… Ever. For the exact reasons you have been listing.

It sounds like you have cheat meals/days in your plan, so just make sure those days are used when you go back to visit your family. This works amazingly well because you get to follow your diet, your family doesn’t have to make any special considerations, YOU dont have to make any special meals or anything, and nobody even realizes you are “dieting.” The ONLY meals my family ever sees me eat are monstrous cheat meals followed by no holds barred dessert consumption.

If you do it right, you will look like “that guy” who gets to eat whatever the hell he wants and maintain a crazy physique.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I completely understand your enthusiasm, and have been there/done that for YEARS. I find that almost everyone I know that does this thing we love to do eventually just stops talking about it with people who aren’t into it. We just don’t bring it up… Ever. For the exact reasons you have been listing.

It sounds like you have cheat meals/days in your plan, so just make sure those days are used when you go back to visit your family. This works amazingly well because you get to follow your diet, your family doesn’t have to make any special considerations, YOU dont have to make any special meals or anything, and nobody even realizes you are “dieting.” The ONLY meals my family ever sees me eat are monstrous cheat meals followed by no holds barred dessert consumption.

If you do it right, you will look like “that guy” who gets to eat whatever the hell he wants and maintain a crazy physique.

[/quote]

Actually one day they watched my cheat meal and I think they got alittle more frightened hahahaha.

[quote]jw154505 wrote:

I’m curious to know what everyone is referring “low” to: < 30, 50, 100 carbs? [/quote]

for me, the Carb sweet spot is between 100-150g per day. my protein can go up to 250g and my fat is usually around 90-100g…altogether, i try to hover around 2400 claories, but i dont get aggressive with chasing the right amount of calories. I want to make sure that my energy stores come from fat and my protein requirements are covered. The carbs I injest become incidental due to all the vegetables and fruit I eat. This is because I want to make sure that I get as many vitamins and minerals naturally without supplementing. this style of eating keeps me lean as long as I want. as for 50g, that is too low for me because when I go that low in carbs, I believe I am sacrificing a great deal of natural vitamins and mineral content that might come from fruits and vegetables.

watch some gary taubes vids on youtube -has great comebacks for this sort of thing

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

It sounds like you have cheat meals/days in your plan, so just make sure those days are used when you go back to visit your family. This works amazingly well because you get to follow your diet, your family doesn’t have to make any special considerations, YOU don’t have to make any special meals or anything, and nobody even realizes you are “dieting.” The ONLY meals my family ever sees me eat are monstrous cheat meals followed by no holds barred dessert consumption.

[/quote]

I’ve found that to be the case too, I’ll splurge on the occasional meal when I’m with family but it’s right back to the strict dieting, weight training and cardio to knock off any effects from the cheat meal. I’m the only one in my family that’s not obese, not even close.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
watch some gary taubes vids on youtube -has great comebacks for this sort of thing[/quote]

Taubes is great, really explains how it came to be seen as grains being this healthy super food, and fats being the villain. The only thing is I do totally agree with him on the idea of calories not counting, or exercise having little effect on one’s body composition.

[quote]throws56 wrote:
The only thing is I do totally agree with him on the idea of calories not counting, or exercise having little effect on one’s body composition. [/quote]

do or dont?

You sound like kind of a douche.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:
The only thing is I do totally agree with him on the idea of calories not counting, or exercise having little effect on one’s body composition. [/quote]

do or dont?[/quote]

Cuse me, I dont agree with him completely. I think you can get away with eating my fat from calories then you could from carbs due to not experiencing the insulin spike from the fat, but I dont think you can huge amounts and not gain weight, which seems to be what he’s implying. Bascially, to me, it seems he believes the “calorie in, calorie out” idea is totally bogus. To a degree I agree, but just not to the extent that he does.

to above ^

If you’re saying exercise doesn’t matter, I’m calling bull-shit.

We were made to be active hunters and gatherers. We were made to chase down that gazelle, deer, or whatever. We were made to sprint. We were made to exercise.

Yes, I would say there are genetic outliers who don’t have to exercise to stay lean, but for 99.9999999% of the population you HAVE to exercise. You can’t not exercise and expect to look “healthy”. Maybe skinny, sure, but you won’t have a low bf%. BMI is a useless form of measurement, so let’s not even get into that.

Exercise should be the #1 priority in a person’s life, but it’s not because we’re a fucked up civilization. There are hundreds upon thousands of scientific studies that prove time and time again that exercise leads to happiness not only through self-image but also through the release of endorphins. It doesn’t have to be lifting. Just do something. Run, bike, walk, swim, fuck idk. I’ll never understand why we place so much emphasis on dieting without exercise.

If you’re saying that you disagree and believe exercise is needed; sorry for the rant LOL.

[quote]Zooguido wrote:
to above ^

We were made to be active hunters and gatherers. We were made to chase down that gazelle, deer, or whatever. We were made to sprint. We were made to exercise.

Yes, I would say there are genetic outliers who don’t have to exercise to stay lean, but for 99.9999999% of the population you HAVE to exercise. You can’t not exercise and expect to look “healthy”. Maybe skinny, sure, but you won’t have a low bf%. BMI is a useless form of measurement, so let’s not even get into that.

Exercise should be the #1 priority in a person’s life, but it’s not because we’re a fucked up civilization. There are hundreds upon thousands of scientific studies that prove time and time again that exercise leads to happiness not only through self-image but also through the release of endorphins. It doesn’t have to be lifting. Just do something. Run, bike, walk, swim, fuck idk. I’ll never understand why we place so much emphasis on dieting without exercise.

If you’re saying that you disagree and believe exercise is needed; sorry for the rant LOL.[/quote]

I think I clearly state in my previous post that I said I didn’t agree with him on his calories theory, or that exercise isn’t a serious factor in body composition…

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]Zooguido wrote:
to above ^

If you’re saying that you disagree and believe exercise is needed; sorry for the rant LOL.[/quote]

I think I clearly state in my previous post that I said I didn’t agree with him on his calories theory, or that exercise isn’t a serious factor in body composition…[/quote]

Ok, lol. It seemed (to me) to be able to be interpreted two different ways from the way I read it. Oops.

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

do or dont?[/quote]

Cuse me, I dont agree with him completely. I think you can get away with eating my fat from calories then you could from carbs due to not experiencing the insulin spike from the fat, but I dont think you can huge amounts and not gain weight, which seems to be what he’s implying. Bascially, to me, it seems he believes the “calorie in, calorie out” idea is totally bogus. To a degree I agree, but just not to the extent that he does.[/quote]

In Good Calories, Bad Calories Taubes takes apart not only the “healthy grain, bad fat” myth, but “calories in/out”, “fat=heart disease”, “fiber matters”, etc…

For calories in vs calories out, he cites several studies spanning the last 150 years where weight loss was achieved only by cutting carbs out of the diet. No restriction at all on calories, and even in cases of 3000-4000 calories a day people continued to lose weight in the absence of a carbohydrate diet.

The reason, as he explains it, is that insulin is the only hormone that makes your body store fat. Without carbs giving your body a reason to produce insulin, you don’t store what you eat.

People believe that your body fuels itself from your food, then uses fat stores to make up a deficit. He explicitly states that your fat stores are more dynamic than that. You actually fuel your body only with your fat stores, then hunger encourages you to replenish those stores with what you eat.

He speaks nothing about physique in anything I’ve read so far. When he says exercise is not necessary, it’s in regards to fat loss and heart health. Of course if you burn more calories you will lose weight faster, but he says that it makes a much smaller difference than if you were to just improve your diet instead of outworking a crappy diet.

[quote]goose27 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

do or dont?[/quote]

Cuse me, I dont agree with him completely. I think you can get away with eating my fat from calories then you could from carbs due to not experiencing the insulin spike from the fat, but I dont think you can huge amounts and not gain weight, which seems to be what he’s implying. Bascially, to me, it seems he believes the “calorie in, calorie out” idea is totally bogus. To a degree I agree, but just not to the extent that he does.[/quote]

In Good Calories, Bad Calories Taubes takes apart not only the “healthy grain, bad fat” myth, but “calories in/out”, “fat=heart disease”, “fiber matters”, etc…

For calories in vs calories out, he cites several studies spanning the last 150 years where weight loss was achieved only by cutting carbs out of the diet. No restriction at all on calories, and even in cases of 3000-4000 calories a day people continued to lose weight in the absence of a carbohydrate diet.

The reason, as he explains it, is that insulin is the only hormone that makes your body store fat. Without carbs giving your body a reason to produce insulin, you don’t store what you eat.

People believe that your body fuels itself from your food, then uses fat stores to make up a deficit. He explicitly states that your fat stores are more dynamic than that. You actually fuel your body only with your fat stores, then hunger encourages you to replenish those stores with what you eat.

He speaks nothing about physique in anything I’ve read so far. When he says exercise is not necessary, it’s in regards to fat loss and heart health. Of course if you burn more calories you will lose weight faster, but he says that it makes a much smaller difference than if you were to just improve your diet instead of outworking a crappy diet.[/quote]

Well, now that I’ve read the book, its a mix of good facts with sensationalist nonsense to drive sales.

Does insulin make people store fat? To an extent yes.

But shit, it’s also the most anabolic hormone known to Man.

Some of the people on here are eating a grand total of 60-80g carbs a day. Congratulations, you probably wouldn’t gain a single pound of fat on that diet. Not a single pound of muscle either, but hey, sick abzzzzzz is the be all and end all right? Abzzzzzzzz…