Getting Good at the Catch Phase?

The biggest problem i have had with any of the complex movements (cleans/snatches) is the whole quickly dropping under the bar to catch the weight. I dont have a problem propelling the weight up but its the catching part i find difficult. Im thinking thoracic mobility might be the weak link.

It almost seems like jerking (*not jerking off) is the same way because you are dipping under the weight after driving it overhead.

This whole dipping and catching thing for me seems like the hardest thing to get good at .

I dont know, but for me , clean grip power snatches feel the easiest and most natural because its the same grip i would be using with an overhead press , and its more just about grabbing the weight and lol throwing it up over your head.

Is there any cues or specific things you worked on in order to get proficient with the catch phase of cleans/snatches? Just wondering.

More bar work mate. Your not use to CHANGING DIRECTIONS FAST HENCE FIND GETTING UNDER AFTER THE PULL SO HARD.

The hard part in lifting is going up fast and THEN going under fast.

Post a video of your Sn/ Cn bar work. Then post a video of you standing on your tip toes and then squating down, no bar, see how fast you can move. You need to be able to move an empty bar fast TO HAVE A CHANCE at moving a heavy weight fast. Do 3reps x 3sets from all the coaching positions and then increase the lifts. Do more bar work at the end of your session.

Lifting is a skill, move the empty bar fast then you will be able to lift heavy weights faster. It’s not automatic yet for you so this will slow you down straight away. It needs to become automatic then you will start to shift weights :slight_smile:

Koing