T Nation

Getting Free Weights, Selling Bowflex.

Hey guys, my parents say that I could get my own free weight set sometime soon, so im excited. We need to sell our bowflex first though, to get some money. It’s an older one, so how much do you guys think we could get for it?

Also, if we get a free weight set, where can I find a good deal on all the equipment? Like a powerrack, bench press, floor covering, and a good bar with weights.

How much would this all cost? It would be hard to convince my parents to spend a lot on this stuff, because to them a bar is just a bar, they wouldn’t understand that some equipment is higher quality and worth the price.

[quote]fisch wrote:
Hey guys, my parents say that I could get my own free weight set sometime soon, so im excited. We need to sell our bowflex first though, to get some money. It’s an older one, so how much do you guys think we could get for it?

Also, if we get a free weight set, where can I find a good deal on all the equipment? Like a powerrack, bench press, floor covering, and a good bar with weights.

How much would this all cost? It would be hard to convince my parents to spend a lot on this stuff, because to them a bar is just a bar, they wouldn’t understand that some equipment is higher quality and worth the price.[/quote]

first off, unless you’re moving 500-600+ in any given lift spending hundreds of dollars on a bar isn’t going to matter. Go to dunhams and get a 300 pound olympic set. Get a bench, and look for something like this:

http://www.donoliver.co.nz/images/TB-1030%20Squat%20Rack.jpg

I got my olympic barbell, bench, and 280 lbs for 90 bucks from an old guy who bought a bowflex because he was too old to lift weights anymore. At least that’s what he told me.

Pretty good deal. If I were you, I would be looking in the classified section of the paper. Old people are always giving away equipment for next to nothing. I guess old people can be good for something after all!

craigs list might be a good place to look for both selling the bowflex and buying the weights.

As for the selling price for the bowflex - just look around and see who else is able to sell it and see what the average price is.

A Bowflex!?

I heard those get you swole after like…a few 20 minute work outs each week, brah!!

[quote]Mutu wrote:
A Bowflex!?

I heard those get you swole after like…a few 20 minute work outs each week, brah!!

[/quote]

They lied. It’s actually 25 minutes, and that is just to intense for me, so I use free weights.

i gave mine away. as i was dragging it to the curb a guy pulled up and asked if he could take it.
ps-again, bowflexes suck in many ways

I dunno, nothing wrong with a Bowflex. If I found one for under 50 dollars I would jump on it, but definitely not worth $1000.

I like the idea of the selecttech dumbbells however, and wish they could invent DBs that increased in .5 pound increments from 50 to 250 (so all exercises could be covered - 250 would obviously be only for the kroc row w/straps - assuming I ever get there)

I sold mine on craigslist, price it right and it’ll be gone by the end of the day. As far as totals for starting your own basement gym, $400-500 once you buy a cage and free weights, if you go used cut that number in half, again check craigslist and garage sales for used gear. I picked up 300lbs of Oly weight for $20 the other day.

i’m assuming you’re in highschool, why don’t you just lift at school, or if you dont like that join a gym.

get your parents to take that cash and buy a treadmill so you can do some cardio (not too much) at home for convenience.

I personally prefer lifting at a gym whether it be a school or other. Lifting in a room my parents put together would not work for me.

agreed on the craigslist rec’s

I picked up a set of 300lb, 2 bars and badass rubber mat for 50 dollars.

Just be ready to drive and pick up and have cash in hand. if you wait too long, the deal will be gone. ( read and picked up in under 20 minutes)

all i needed from there was a cage and eventually a bench. search and you’ll save allot.

[quote]mjc381 wrote:
i’m assuming you’re in highschool, why don’t you just lift at school, or if you dont like that join a gym.

get your parents to take that cash and buy a treadmill so you can do some cardio (not too much) at home for convenience.

I personally prefer lifting at a gym whether it be a school or other. Lifting in a room my parents put together would not work for me.[/quote]

Well, at school the weight rooms only open for 45 minutes after school, and they don’t open it somedays (never tell us, they just won’t open it on some days, its random).

You have to do the lifts the coaches tell us to do, and I don’t think their plans are very good. Plus, no one in there knows how to lift properly, and none are very serious.

The school doesn’t let us deadlift, and we always do the exact same things throughout the year. So I got tired of it, found this site, started doing SS, and I am a lot freer to take time between sets. (at school, it was rapid fire sets. Only break was when your partner was lifting, otherwise, you had to be lifting.)

[quote]fisch wrote:
mjc381 wrote:

You have to do the lifts the coaches tell us to do[/quote]

i dont have to do anything i dont want to

[quote]eremesu wrote:
fisch wrote:
mjc381 wrote:

You have to do the lifts the coaches tell us to do

i dont have to do anything i dont want to

[/quote]

Unless, you know, you’re forced to.

EDIT: Of course you could always argue you really DO want to do what you’re forced to do…more than whatever alternative you’re being threatened with.

[quote]eremesu wrote:
fisch wrote:
mjc381 wrote:

You have to do the lifts the coaches tell us to do

i dont have to do anything i dont want to

[/quote]

Well if you don’t, you won’t be able to use any of the equipment, because the coaches get first choice so your stuck doing DB curls, so that won’t really work.