T Nation

Getting Faster in Track and Field

we started winter track this week and today was the first time we actually ran on the track. this is my first year running track.
coach split the distance runners and the sprinters.
we ran the 300m,200m,and the 100m.

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

i came dead last in the 300m and the 200m. i got second to last during the 100m, that made me a little happy. basically im the slowest sprinter. i really don’t want to stay the slowest

will i get fast enough to get a 20-23s 200m or a 10-11s 100m.

^^^

i wish you the best… always great to have goals in sports… slow that time down 5 seconds in the 200 and 3-4 seconds in the 100… then when, and if you hit those goals, set some more goals… that 20 sec 200 and 10 sec 100 are world class times…

the 20 sec 200 and 10 sec 100 are world class times… i wish you the best, but talk to your coach and have him help you set a bit more realistic goal… good luck

Are you lifting at all?

what events are you running man? you look skinny. depending on what event you are training for, depends highly on the type of training you should do. even if you are a sprinter, I think a day or 2 every week with good distance is something you should consider.

as a young guy, i was running 2:20s for the 800m, and by my sr yr, i was running 1:57 for 800m, and 50 seconds flat for 400m. shaving time can be done. i did it through 4 yrs of consistency, some lifting, and great competition.

I ran track both of my kids ran track so I watched a lot of track.

I never saw any sprinter start slow and get fast by the end of hs.

what is wrong with trying a longer race.

You have a lot better chance if you move up to the 1500 or 3000 or whatever the race is in your state.

[quote]tom1961 wrote:
I ran track both of my kids ran track so I watched a lot of track.

I never saw any sprinter start slow and get fast by the end of hs.

what is wrong with trying a longer race.

You have a lot better chance if you move up to the 1500 or 3000 or whatever the race is in your state.[/quote]

You never saw any sprinter improve? Sorry dude that is wrong.

[quote]libanbolt wrote:
we started winter track this week and today was the first time we actually ran on the track. this is my first year running track.

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

i came dead last in the 300m and the 200m. i got second to last during the 100m, that made me a little happy. basically im the slowest sprinter. i really don’t want to stay the slowest

will i get fast enough to get a 20-23s 200m or a 10-11s 100m. [/quote]

How about this? Train like your coach says. It’s winter, lot of progress can be made.

Those are huge ranges for sprinting times. A 10.0 100m dash is screaming.

Put in hard work, don’t b*tch, and see where you stand.

First, listen to your coach. Ask him for outside work you can do to improve. As always, your sprinting will get better with more sprinting.

Second, improve your ATG max squat. Sprinters are usually pretty well-muscled. More muscle on your frame, especially in your legs, will likely increase your force-per-stride.

Third, technique also plays a decent role, too. Focusing on the physical cues your coach gives might help. Remember, your glutes are the prime mover, not your thighs.

That said, there are people out there who know a lot more than I do, so listen to them. I only posted because no one said anything remotely helpful to you so far.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]libanbolt wrote:

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

How about this? Train like your coach says. It’s winter, lot of progress can be made.

[/quote]

I think the OP is long gone but ya, you do a 10.0 in the 100m and you’ll have D1’s knocking down your door!

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

[quote]libanbolt wrote:

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

[/quote]

I think the OP is long gone but ya, you do a 10.0 in the 100m and you’ll have D1’s knocking down your door!
[/quote]

Yup, Sub 11 seconds is an accomplishment.

OP, have a look at the “Speed” DVD fro DeFranco.

Discusses important cues, technique, drills and training programs.

tweet

[quote]libanbolt wrote:

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My son is a Freshman in college and received a partial scholarship to run at the D2 level. He holds 4 records at his AAA high school, one of which is the 100m at 10.8 FAT. Went to States as a Freshman and finished his best place at 14th in the 200m.

Here’s what I learned;

You have to have a God-given talent to compete at that level. My son was always faster then the “Other” kids, faster then the older boys. You just need to build on that talent as you get older. I drilled into him that, “Your talent is a gift from God, what you do with it is your gift to him.”

Second to talent, you have to have a complete hatred toward failure. My son received a local awarded from a T.V. station and when his coach was interviewed for the show, he was asked what makes my son so good. His reply was, “He just hates to lose”

So talent and desire are both needed to be a top athlete. Though hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard.

I’m going as far as to say you are not a natural runner. Perfect your technique 15seconds is somebody that just doesn’t know how to run and doesn’t have good strength. Distance runners can run sub 15. If your coach is any good he should be able to help you with technique, listen to him before working on anything yourself, otherwise you will be reinforcing some bad technique. If you want better sprint times make sure your technique is flawless, then race,sprint and jump all summer. I mean a lot, you are young so you can go crazy and still recover. If you have time throw in a little weights, just legs for now. You wouldn’t NEED anymore then once a week as your beginning gains would be good. By next year you would be signicantly faster.

Sprinters are born.

I know a girl who never ran track till the 10th grade.

Her first meet starting with out blocks she got ranked in the state.

She placed in either the 100 or 200 every year in the state meet.

[quote]libanbolt wrote:

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My son is a Freshman in college and received a partial scholarship to run at the D2 level. He holds 4 records at his AAA high school, one of which is the 100m at 10.8 FAT. Went to States as a Freshman and finished his best place at 14th in the 200m.

Here’s what I learned;

You have to have a God-given talent to compete at that level. My son was always faster then the “Other” kids, faster then the older boys. You just need to build on that talent as you get older. I drilled into him that, “Your talent is a gift from God, what you do with it is your gift to him.”

Second to talent, you have to have a complete hatred toward failure. My son received a local awarded from a T.V. station and when his coach was interviewed for the show, he was asked what makes my son so good. His reply was, “He just hates to lose”

So talent and desire are both needed to be a top athlete. Though hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard.

[/quote]

Yup, second is the first loser.

There are no excuses and there isn’t anyone to blame but yourself in running(except for relays). I won several XC races and went to state in TF. I would also fill in on the 4x200m, but I was a always a very fast sprinter…for a distance runner! haha Never had the talent to be a real sprinter.

This is just my opinion, but I think running events are more mentally and physically demanding than lifting weights.

Did you notice much AAS usage in HS kids? It was prevalent when I competed.

[quote]libanbolt wrote:

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

i came dead last in the 300m and the 200m. i got second to last during the 100m, that made me adidn’t le happy. basically im the slowest sprinter. i really don’t want to stay the slowest

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here’s what I learned;

[/quote]

There are no excuses and there isn’t anyone to blame but yourself in running(except for relays). I won several XC races and went to state in TF. I would also fill in on the 4x200m, but I was a always a very fast sprinter…for a distance runner! haha Never had the talent to be a real sprinter.

This is just my opinion, but I think running events are more mentally and physically demanding than lifting weights.

[/quote]

I can only speak for my son and say he never did a thing. I know the other boys well and outside the throwers, they didnt.

Ya, I’m a proud dad when I say how fast he is and very smart. He was also benching 300 so he’s a bit of a freak having the total package.

[quote]libanbolt wrote:

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

i came dead last in the 300m and the 200m. i got second to last during the 100m, that made me adidn’t le happy. basically im the slowest sprinter. i really don’t want to stay the slowest

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here’s what I learned;

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can only speak for my son and say he never did a thing. I know the other boys well and outside the throwers, they didnt.

Ya, I’m a proud dad when I say how fast he is and very smart. He was also benching 300 so he’s a bit of a freak having the total package.[/quote]

hell man, sounds like you raised a winner.

[quote]libanbolt wrote:

my times were
300m-56s
200m-35s
100m-15s

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here’s what I learned;

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ya, I’m a proud dad when I say how fast he is and very smart. He was also benching 300 so he’s a bit of a freak having the total package.[/quote]

hell man, sounds like you raised a winner.

[/quote]

Three more boys behind him. Let me say this, when people ask me what it’s like raising 4 boy I them I’m not raising 4 boys, I’m raising 4 men. You raise boys, you get boys; you raise men you get men. Thanks for the kind words!