T Nation

Getting Desired Results

Hello everyone, I’m a college freshman who has been utilizing the fitness center at school since last Fall. My friends have noticed an increase in muscle mass especially on my arms. I too notice it but I am not satisfied. I feel that my arms are simply getting bulky and I want to tone what I already have while continuing to build muscle.

I see no definition in my body just size and I’m only 5’6, and simply getting bigger in time will look awkward. Any tips on toning my arms, chest, and abs?

Also, I have almost like shin splints in my wrists and the guys at the gym say I probably have stress fractures in my forearms. I’m just too stubborn to get them x-rayed because I don’t want to know the truth. So if you know any good forearm exercises, that would be great!

OK it seems like you don’t know any better - first of all, some stats would be good…your weight, age, diet, training, etc.

To get your muscles showing, you first have to have some - there is no point trying to lose weight when you have no muscle because you’ll end up looking like a metro and you don’t want that. If you are getting bigger then keep at it; once you’ve added 50lbs to your frame then consider cutting any fat you may have.

Also, don’t use the word “tone”, it’s banned around here.

Im no expert but definition or tone is a loose term based on muscle size/bodyfat ratio. Whats your BF %? Are you training anywhere else or just arms?

Again im no expert, but id recommend that you might want to get those wrists checked out. Wouldn’t want your bodybuilding career to be over by the time you quit college due to knackered wrists or joints.

You need to get your right amount of calories, rest, weight training volume and add mass on to you. Then begin to worry about definition.

[quote]aarforce27 wrote:
Also, I have almost like shin splints in my wrists and the guys at the gym say I probably have stress fractures in my forearms. I’m just too stubborn to get them x-rayed because I don’t want to know the truth. So if you know any good forearm exercises, that would be great![/quote]

Well, the good news is that if they are stress fractures in your wrist, and you continue to train through the pain, they should, in time, turn into full fractures of the wrist.

Although the doctor would almost certainly order x-rays at that time, there would probably be a good indication of a fracture even before the x-rays came back.

Seriously though, who diagnosed them as stress fractures? Some of your freshmen lifting partners? If you’re worried, get them checked out. If you aren’t worried, then pick exercises that don’t irritate them and see if they get better in time. But training through the pain isn’t going to accomplish anything good.

[quote]aarforce27 wrote:
Also, I have almost like shin splints in my wrists and the guys at the gym say I probably have stress fractures in my forearms. I’m just too stubborn to get them x-rayed because I don’t want to know the truth. So if you know any good forearm exercises, that would be great![/quote]

Well, the good news is that if they are stress fractures in your wrist, and you continue to train through the pain, they should, in time, turn into full fractures of the wrist.

Although the doctor would almost certainly order x-rays at that time, there would probably be a good indication of a fracture even before the x-rays came back.

Seriously though, who diagnosed them as stress fractures? Some of your freshmen lifting partners? If you’re worried, get them checked out. If you aren’t worried, then pick exercises that don’t irritate them and see if they get better in time. But training through the pain isn’t going to accomplish anything good.

[quote]aarforce27 wrote:

a) “the guys at the gym” are just that - guys at a gym. In my experience, most guys at college gyms are morons. It’s really just a matter of degree.

b) take you, for instance. The fact that you suspect something might be wrong with your arms, yet are too “stubborn” to find out what it is leads me to believe that you are a first degree gym moron. But, hey, no worries - like getting any respectable degree in college, it takes time. Once you progress from just wanting to tone your arms, chest, and abs to not squatting because your legs get enough work from running, then you can rest easy knowing that you’re in the upper echelon of “guys at the gym.”

Of course, you can always get extra credit by getting some lifting buddies to go with you - just make sure they’re wearing the appropriate attire of sandblasted jeans, beaters (or popped collar neon polos), sideways mesh hats, and belt-clipped cell phones that ring at all the wrong times. Otherwise you’ll just come off a poseur.

c) get a clue and realize that perhaps a brief layoff might be necessary. I used to have a similar problem, which went away after a weeks layoff from curling. Common sense would indicate that adding more exercises in the pained area would most likely exacerbate the problem.

d) it would be much more productive of you to type your stats instead of how your buddies think you’re all chiseled up from 6 months of lifting.

e) listen to rsg and Fulmen, they’ve given you more than enough advice, believe it or not.

f) uck you for wasting my time with what is, realistically, a common sense issue.

1st. aarforce are you retarded? go to a doctor.

2nd. Squat and no quarter squats parallel or full is the only thing aloud.

3rd. post some stats not just 5’6.

4th. GO TO THE DOCTOR.

[quote]John S. wrote:
1st. aarforce are you retarded? go to a doctor.

2nd. Squat and no quarter squats parallel or full is the only thing aloud.

3rd. post some stats not just 5’6.

4th. GO TO THE DOCTOR.[/quote]

lol

Leave him alone…he’s been lifting since last fall for petes sake.

His arms have gotten way too bulky because of that extended lifting. He needs to back off I think, otherwise he might not be able to get into most clothing as a sophomore in college.

Abrecromie will also cancel his photo shoots if he’s too BIG.

haha I’ve got a tough crowd here but I can take it.

I started college at about a scrawny 130 and I’m still small and am about 150. I don’t know if I’ve just gained the freshman 15 or if it’s from working out. But if I’m wasting your time, don’t reply to my posts. No one forces you to reply to them. I was asking a simple quesiton and the smartass remarks do you and me no good.

Some of you have given me good advice and I appreciate it, but then there are a couple dicks who need calm down a little. Thanks

hmmm

Sorry dude, people here generally don’t lift to be “tone”. Toned is not really even a word here.

Advice would be to eat 2,000 calories, mostly protein, low fat, lots of water and lift with 20 reps x4.