T Nation

Getting Deeper in the Back Squat

Sup guys, are there any methods you would recomend for improving your squat flexibilty, from say just gettin parallel , closer to ATG? Any stretches,exercises etc.

I want to be able to go lower in my squat, but i cant because my back rounds. Going abit below parallel puts less stress on my knees though, so if i could go deeper, while maintaining arch it would be great! :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance guys!

Items 1-5 helped me stretch out my hips.

Ever consider front squats? I naturally drop lower on those.

The link already provided is good. More mobility is always helpful.

And then switch to front squats 'cause they hit your legs much harder.

Okay thanks for the links and advice! i can do those drills just stepping over an “imaginary object” because id rather do that stuff at home :slight_smile: ?

[quote]kaoticz wrote:
Okay thanks for the links and advice! i can do those drills just stepping over an “imaginary object” because id rather do that stuff at home :slight_smile: ?
[/quote]

I’d try to rig something up to gauge your depth or height. A couple chairs and a broom, or something.

I always feel sorry for the stupid smith machine over in the corner and want to give it some love :slight_smile:

Something that helped me get to a deeper squat is something I believe Pavel came up with (and Dan John likes to teach) called prying.

Typically before squatting and after I warmup up little bit with some body weight squats, I find something in the power rack to hold onto. I then allow myself to descend into the deepest squat I can get into. Don’t hold on too much. You’re just holding on just enough to help balance. Your squat should look natural as you descend. Once in the bottom position is where you start to “pry.” Think of it as prying your hips open to create space as Dan John says. Shift your hips back and forth, use your elbows to open up your knees, try to force your lower back arch, etc. If you’re doing it right, you should feel yourself stretching the necessary muscles and opening up those joints that need mobility for a deep squat. Do it during the day as well when you’re not training and I guarantee you’ll have a better looking deep squat in a week or two.

Good luck!

[quote]wushufanatic wrote:
Something that helped me get to a deeper squat is something I believe Pavel came up with (and Dan John likes to teach) called prying.

Typically before squatting and after I warmup up little bit with some body weight squats, I find something in the power rack to hold onto. I then allow myself to descend into the deepest squat I can get into. Don’t hold on too much. You’re just holding on just enough to help balance. Your squat should look natural as you descend.

Once in the bottom position is where you start to “pry.” Think of it as prying your hips open to create space as Dan John says. Shift your hips back and forth, use your elbows to open up your knees, try to force your lower back arch, etc.

If you’re doing it right, you should feel yourself stretching the necessary muscles and opening up those joints that need mobility for a deep squat. Do it during the day as well when you’re not training and I guarantee you’ll have a better looking deep squat in a week or two.

Good luck![/quote]

Okay great stuff i jus tried that out and i def feel the stretch in that thanks! Ill start doing it every day and hope to get good results :slight_smile:
THanks!

Magnificent Mobility http://www.magnificentmobility.com/

Ignore the fact the website looks the same as ‘all those others’

I saw this today and now understand how to warm-up properly and will allow you to squat deeper amongt other benifits.

Googling Dynamic Stretching will probably let you see some examples of what you should be doing too.

My hamstring flexibilty sucked but after going through all the exercises today I feel much better already, can almost touch my toes rather then being 2 feet off!