Getting Cranky In My Old Age....

Rant warning…

Went to the local Ymca to train Bench last night due to the cold. Two guys in their early 20’s who were built ok but not massive were having arm night. I was minding my own business getting mentally prepared to bench. I kept hearing overly dramatized sounds of exertion from the two and the sound of a barbell being slammed down hard.Jesus in my world you don’t make a shit ton of noise or drop the barbell while doing fucking curls set after set. Sorry using a whole 105 lbs ( sarcasm )without even a full range of motion doesn’t justifies it…

Shit I worked up to 350 x 6 on bench and on the last rep I might have let out a small grunt on the last rep. If someone is going to drop a barbell they better be doing heavy deads or O lifts, Dont even get me started on their DB dropping. regarding the grunting or excessive vocalization I have no issue with it as long as its justifiable like doing a all out set on squats or deads. Seriously these two where doing nothing more then trying to act as if they were two alpha males,and they wanted everyone in there to know that.

I swear my left eye started to twitch every time they dropped their barbell. I Like i said maybe im just getting cranky in my old age or that ive been doing this crap on and off too long and patients for stupidity is low…

Thats it…hey I gave a rant warning before hand. You read this by your own choice.

I find that laughing out loud at such behavior can be quite fun.

You’d love my gym.

One of the regulars, who is actually a nice guy in his 40’s and very, very consistent, has lots of horribly misguided notions about lifting. Basically machine work only with many variations of bicep curls and ridiculous amounts of supplement usage. He asked me for a spot on Monday… while doing a seated overhead machine press. I obliged, of course.

And boy is he a SCREAMER. Cable flyes - AHHH!!! Leg extensions - GRRRR!!! Machine bicep curls - YEEEEARG!!!

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Of course, I let out a scream here and there, but only on heavy squats and deads and only on the last rep. Can’t really help that too much, and I surprised myself the first time I did it.

A guy named Goldie made a comment on my log a few months back, and now that I’ve been lifting for awhile I really see the truth of it. To paraphrase - “You’ll never find a bigger collection of fragile egos than you will at the gym except, perhaps, in your local college’s philosophy department”.

There’s a guy at my gym who counts aloud every rep of every set. Because he lifts in headphones, I don’t think he realizes just how loud he is.

ONE…TWO…THREE…FOUR…[etc]…TEN.

Ten reps/set–never more, never less.

Gorilla…I would find it funny ,but the arrogance they were displaying was really getting on my nerves. Now I get the whole thing regarding “LUNKS” it just give serious guys a bad reputation.

twojarslave… Well yeah in my view making noise on a last rep on a heavy squat or dead or any movement that is really forcing too strain and put in major effort is ok in my book. Now I dont know about philosophy department but the rest of your quote is spot on… except maybe on internet forums …LOL

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
There’s a guy at my gym who counts aloud every rep of every set. Because he lifts in headphones, I don’t think he realizes just how loud he is.

ONE…TWO…THREE…FOUR…[etc]…TEN.

Ten reps/set–never more, never less.[/quote]
Like you said I bet he doesnt realize it… the two i mentioned were putting on a show.

To tell you the truth I’d rather put up with a bunch of showy screamers than go to the ultimate judgement zone Planet Fitness. Their idea of a Lunk is anyone who doesn’t like to eat pizza on Monday at the gym while they are lifting and thinks candy at the gym counter is a bad idea.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
To tell you the truth I’d rather put up with a bunch of showy screamers than go to the ultimate judgement zone Planet Fitness. Their idea of a Lunk is anyone who doesn’t like to eat pizza on Monday at the gym while they are lifting and thinks candy at the gym counter is a bad idea.[/quote]
Oh yeah, id rather be anal probed by aliens before id step foot into a Planet Fitness.

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
To tell you the truth I’d rather put up with a bunch of showy screamers than go to the ultimate judgement zone Planet Fitness. Their idea of a Lunk is anyone who doesn’t like to eat pizza on Monday at the gym while they are lifting and thinks candy at the gym counter is a bad idea.[/quote]
Oh yeah, id rather be anal probed by aliens before id step foot into a Planet Fitness.[/quote]
Really?

I find that I am getting increasingly annoyed with my commercial gym (24). Interestingly, just today a sign was posted saying that a trainer is going to be hosting squat, DL, and bench classes. The girl at the front desk asked me if I wanted to sign up. I responded “does this trainer even know how to do the lifts correctly?” I then apologized for my rudeness. It’s the trainers who rub me worse than anything in said gyms. Most are marginally fit and have no clue what they’re doing. Rarely correct poor form in their clients. And charge far more than they’re worth. Luckily, they don’t tend to have their clients do any serious lifting so they don’t tie up the cage or Oly lifting area. End of my rant:)

I normally hit it first thing in the morning. I find most of the meatheads are still in bed. My schedule, however, forces me to go later sometimes. Today was one of those times. There was the guy who had his headphones on and was “dancing” and singing to whatever he was listening to. He was doing preacher curls the entire time. He would let out a loud grunt on every rep. This was followed with five minutes of flexing.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Interestingly, just today a sign was posted saying that a trainer is going to be hosting squat, DL, and bench classes. The girl at the front desk asked me if I wanted to sign up.
[/quote]

If she had any sense, she would have asked you to teach them!

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Interestingly, just today a sign was posted saying that a trainer is going to be hosting squat, DL, and bench classes. The girl at the front desk asked me if I wanted to sign up.
[/quote]

If she had any sense, she would have asked you to teach them!
[/quote]
I should have mentioned that I went to a different gym today. Not my regular one. The girl who asked me if I wanted to sign up didn’t know me and I didn’t know the trainer who was offering the classes.

I just find that most trainers at chain gyms are very young and very inexperienced. The only female “master” trainer at my home gym (“master” meaning years of experience and more certs) is about 75 lb overweight. I have never seen her exercise. Weird. I’m sure there are a lot of good trainers. I had one myself many moons ago. But most really suck.

This is why we started our own gym back in 2011, well, that and we all got kicked out of the various local commercial gyms. the co,mie gyms want the soccer mom who shows up once a month, spends 20 minutes on an elliptical and goes home.

we depreciated the non-cardio equipment. we squatted, deadlifted and benched. we used chalk and occasionally someone got a nosebleed. this shit is encouraged at our new home.

we have a mid 20s brotard who shows up occasionally. had him count off paused deadlifts for me one time. he’s screaming ONE, TWO, THREE. I dropped the bar and told him that I’m only 5 feet from him. I may be a little hard of hearing but there’s no need to yell. He says, but we’re in a gym. Told him yes, and told him if he appreciates our gym then he’ll need to tone the over the top, gung ho shit down. Also, everyone of his shirts are sleeveless. Yep, he @ 175lbs.

Another knucklehead took his shirt off one day. He’s maybe 180. Our 242 told him that we’re not at the beach and to put his fucking shirt on. He obliged.

We have to police our own and try to set a good example for the next generation of lifters.

Sorry for the ramble. Was laughing as I typed about screamer and shirtless boy. My wife thinks I’m nuts.

kpsnap… Heck before I would allowed to bring Dakota to the local YMCA to lift there they would force him to do a orientation Done by the head trainer who IMO opinion is only slightly above a aerobic instructor. I find that funny hes done 3 meets been coached by me and a former member of the IPF world team.

hawkcapt1912 “screamer and shirtless boy” LOL I can see how that would strike the wife ODD

Those types of guys are one of the many reasons I work out at home.

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Those types of guys are one of the many reasons I work out at home. [/quote]
I normally would.

sometimes the music gets on my nerves,like someone’s ipod plugged into the sound system playing death metal. I also find it annoying when guys turn their hands so the palms face behind them. But,I never say anything,I just think “you’re not big enough yet to have to walk like a gorilla”

[quote]confusion wrote:
sometimes the music gets on my nerves,like someone’s ipod plugged into the sound system playing death metal. I also find it annoying when guys turn their hands so the palms face behind them. But,I never say anything,I just think “you’re not big enough yet to have to walk like a gorilla”[/quote]
yeah allot of those gorilla are lucky to weigh 200 lbs if that

So cute watching 1/2 squats with 315…

[quote]confusion wrote:
sometimes the music gets on my nerves,like someone’s ipod plugged into the sound system playing death metal. I also find it annoying when guys turn their hands so the palms face behind them. But,I never say anything,I just think “you’re not big enough yet to have to walk like a gorilla”[/quote]

Don’t be too hard on them, they suffer from a legitimate mental disorder, ISL.

Imaginary Lat Syndrome.