Getting Compliments

is what makes half of this stuff worth it, the dedication and the mental discipline when it comes too strict eating, the last couple of weeks I’ve been running into alot of people i havent seen in a couple of months, all commenting on how much bigger ive gotten and toned

sorry i just wanted to brag lol :stuck_out_tongue:

anyone got any stories too share?

I lost a bunch of weight (what started this whole ordeal), and got a lot of compliments along the way. Lots of my extended family doens’t see much of me. Then 6 months later I come back with 50 pounds less fat, and it makes an impression.

Other than that. People are always suprised when the see pictures of the previous me.

Getting compliments is a good thing. It’s like a little extra push.

they help. couple funny ones…
#1 deadlifting 300 for reps(not a lot i know) one dude said “you better get off that stuff before your balls disappear”

#2 some highschool scrawny kid was doing ridiculous light curls with body language and he turned around and saw me do 80lb chin-ups for reps and i heard “damn…” after i dropped down

Although I’m weak compared to most of you, people call me once in a while the god of weights. High school gym rats also see me deadlift 255 for reps and they whisper behind my back.

Some friends of mine want to train under me rather than the trainers in my gym. Heck, I’m even stronger than some of the trainers in my gym. I guess it’s easy to be too strong in Asia as long as you know enough and do enough.

Looking for a new shirt at the weekend…

Shop assistant: How about this shirt?
Me: I don’t think i could pull it off.
Shop assistant: Yeah you could your quite a big lad aren’t you?

Yeah maybe she was giving me the hard sell, but being a fairly skinny guy most my life, no one has EVER referred to me as big.

The sad thing is that many of the compliments feel undeserved, since the people who make them are comparing us to the sub-par physiques of the average westerner.

A few days ago, I asked the school nurse to check my blood pressure (it had been a stressful week). As she started wrapping the cuff around my upper arm, she commented that she might need to buy a bigger one for me. It’s okay in terms of contours, but it’s barely over 15". I couldn’t even allow myself to feel flattered.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
I couldn’t even allow myself to feel flattered.[/quote]

Funny and true.

If people compliment me, I never believe it anyway.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
TShaw wrote:
I couldn’t even allow myself to feel flattered.

Funny and true.

[/quote]

I know how you feel. My reflex, when receiving a compliment, is to remind myself of the non-expertise of the flatterer.

False modesty is for the birds, but humility is something to work towards and I have plenty left to do in that department. Irish gives a good mental image to keep in mind…female squirrels laughing at the size of my penis. That’s something to keep in mind.

the funny thing I noticed recently is when I am shopping. I bought a large shirt brought it home and washed it. Put it on and it is too small. Guess I need to start looking at XL from now on.

I also get people that will make comments when I give blood. Comments like look at those veins! You will be easy and Holy cow. is what I have heard. All because I go to the gym and exercise regularly. And if you see me I am not a freak, I just do alot more than the average joe.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
The sad thing is that many of the compliments feel undeserved, since the people who make them are comparing us to the sub-par physiques of the average westerner.

A few days ago, I asked the school nurse to check my blood pressure (it had been a stressful week). As she started wrapping the cuff around my upper arm, she commented that she might need to buy a bigger one for me. It’s okay in terms of contours, but it’s barely over 15". I couldn’t even allow myself to feel flattered.[/quote]

Yeah same here. It was nice when I first started training and eating big to know that my hard work wasn’t for nothing, but now it just reminds me that I’m not where I hoped I’d be at this point.

I enjoy compliments, but I’m so sick of “How much do you bench?” Which for the average western slob is the vanguard for all fitness, apparently. I’m so sick of having to explain to people that just having a big bench number doesn’t mean you have a great looking body, which is the goal.

In the gym today warming up on the rack. I go deep and one of the dudes who had just finished doing bench squats (equivalent to box squats. They didn’t do 'em half bad either. Kind of reminded me that there are some of us out there … anyways I digress) and he says to me after my first warm up set, “Come on man, you don’t need to make me look bad.” He said it with a smile but he was still giving me a compliment. I just chuckled a bit and went on with my workout. Just my 2 cents

[quote]Irish Muscle wrote:
female squirels laugh at my penis when i run naked in the woods.

i just thought i’d share my story.[/quote]

why, because you’re so nutty?

zingmotherfuckingsnap

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
TShaw wrote:

Funny and true.

[/quote]

I have gained about 25 lbs over the summer, but still when someone tries to give me a compliment most of the time I feel like they’re making fun of me in a roundabout sort of way. I feel like their intentions are, “You wish you were a lot bigger, but you’re not, so here’s some shit for it.”

There have been a few times where the compliments really come through hard though, and I will say that nothing feels better than that. Like the OP said, it’s one of the biggest reasons that we all do it for.

-dizzle

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
TShaw wrote:

Funny and true.

I have gained about 25 lbs over the summer, but still when someone tries to give me a compliment most of the time I feel like they’re making fun of me in a roundabout sort of way. I feel like their intentions are, “You wish you were a lot bigger, but you’re not, so here’s some shit for it.”

There have been a few times where the compliments really come through hard though, and I will say that nothing feels better than that. Like the OP said, it’s one of the biggest reasons that we all do it for.

-dizzle[/quote]

Would you prefer no compliments?

I go through periods of flatlining, or slight growth, and know i’m working my arse off. As you all know the results can be in spurts.

To the OP- keep up the good work mate.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
A few days ago, I asked the school nurse to check my blood pressure (it had been a stressful week). As she started wrapping the cuff around my upper arm, she commented that she might need to buy a bigger one for me. It’s okay in terms of contours, but it’s barely over 15". I couldn’t even allow myself to feel flattered.[/quote]

Hahaha, I know what you mean. Nurses have to use the “fat” cuff to get my bp. I don’t like the term “fat cuff”. However I know it’s not because I’m fat…good thing.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I enjoy compliments, but I’m so sick of “How much do you bench?” Which for the average western slob is the vanguard for all fitness, apparently. I’m so sick of having to explain to people that just having a big bench number doesn’t mean you have a great looking body, which is the goal.[/quote]

I tell them that I can bench the whole bar. But not without a spotter!

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I enjoy compliments, but I’m so sick of “How much do you bench?” Which for the average western slob is the vanguard for all fitness, apparently. I’m so sick of having to explain to people that just having a big bench number doesn’t mean you have a great looking body, which is the goal.

I tell them that I can bench the whole bar. But not without a spotter![/quote]

The worst is when someone says “How much are you benching now, like 400lbs?” I am not small but if I saw me I wouldn’t think 400 bench, a 400lb RAW bench at my weight class would be up there in rankings I would imagine… Of course the 4 man bench (one person “benching” 3 people that are really good at upright rows) has skewed a lot of what most people think is a good bench…

When people ask me how much I bench I simply reply “I don’t” which is mostly true, I rarely bench and never ME on the lift. (Not an event in strongman!)

I have had a few people ask me how much I squat or deadlift, if someone asks you that you can automatically assume they are OK.

Regarding people giving compliments I make sure to not leave my house for 3-6 months so people only see me once in a great while, this ensures (hopefully) I look bigger! HAHA I am joking… sort of… Damn I need a life.

[quote]A-Dog wrote:

Would you prefer no compliments?

[/quote]

Actually, I prefer applause.

I’ve made some pretty good changes in my physique recently and have gotten a lot of comments, most make me feel uncomfortable. Especially when someone says the word “steroids” around me.