T Nation

Getting Called Out + CNS Question

1. I’m constantly getting called out at my gym. Every day I receive comments like “do DB bench in this direction, one-handed”, or “leave the gym sore every single day”, or “you’re squatting too deep”. I’m told that I do squats and deadlifts too often and that I do upper-body lifts too little. Just today I was referred to BodyBuilding.com by two guys at the same time. I have not seen a single one of these advice givers squat as much as they bench (let alone without the smith machine), pull off a solid-looking clean, or deadlift more than double bodyweight. Yet I am constantly told that a) I’m either going too heavy and I’m going to break my back by the time I’m 25 or b) I’m going way too light and I’m never going to get stronger.

It used to be that I could shrug it off, if someone told me to squat to parallel I’d say “well, this is just more comfortable for me” or something like that and they’d go away. But it’s starting to be a serious pain in the ass. I have to wait for someone to give me some speech about the thousand different ways for me to do DB bench before I can do my set.

Now, I’ve gotten stronger. My working weights for clean, front squat, DB bench, and DB OHP have doubled. Weights that used to be hard are now what I dust off in 30 minutes on a deload week. My progress hasn’t been as good as I planned it to be, but I’ve put at least 40 lbs on my bench and OHP and 100 lbs on my deadlift (not sure about squat since I started on a smith machine) since last year. And even though it’s not optimal, it’s solid progress, and I just want to keep my training simple.

But how do I say that what I’m doing is working for me, I just want to keep my training simple, and I don’t want to change my training, without seeming like a pretentious prick?

1. My goal is to have a high power/weight ratio so I can get better at breakdancing. So, that makes my goal to be “CNS strength” or “muscle recruitment” as opposed to muscle size. Does this mean I don’t ever have to worry about eating more? If that’s wrong, is there some guideline I can follow? I did search this question but I found nothing.

[quote]marrot wrote:
2. My goal is to have a high power/weight ratio so I can get better at breakdancing.[/quote]

WTF!!! Are you serious?! Sorry, just never heard that before. I thought break dancing died when I was a kid. If your training is helping you accomplish your goals, the whole point of weight training to begin with, then thank them for their advice, explain your goal, and continue what you are doing.

Just nod your head and say you are in a hurry though so you cant talk

That or wear headphones, thats huge to get people not to talk to me
Just yesterday I had someone ask what sport i do, then when i said i do the decathlon he said “man wouldnt lifting heavy make you get too bulky for track”. I just told him its all a balance in an agreeing tone. I could go over all the details to relative stength and explosiveness training with muscle fibers blah blah but I found that its best just to nod your head and move on. They are usually just impressed with you in the end of the day, and if you do explain it all to them which I have done before, they have no idea what you are talking about. They just wanna flab jab to ya

Ill be honest, I wouldnt take anyone serious ever if theyre telling you youre doing squats and deadlifts too often.

I mean unless youre trying to set a personal record like every single day, its fine. And same thing for squatting to deep.

If these guys are regularly using Smith Machines or something, theen theyre complete tards.

Either just let em know youre following a set professional plan, and drop some names (ie ripptoe or dave tate) or go with the old “My friends a professional bodybuilder, he uses this plan”. Seems that every fucknut at the gym is best friends with one, and that they were the one who told them to do 40 different sets of bicep curls 3x a week.

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:
go with the old “My friends a professional bodybuilder, he uses this plan”.[/quote]
Dude, if we could get Stu in here, we could totally make that legit.

Three-a-week squatting is the shit. First week sucks. After that, it’s awesome.

Your friends have down syndrome.

100% srs

just tell everybody to fuck off

do one of those spin-on-head-kick-the-face-moves

you seriously have one of the coolest goals ever

Headphones & ignore anything that someone writes over you in the internet. In a couple of years when your on tour with some dance company doing never before thought of stuff, you can look back and laugh at those who scoffed you.

“do one of those spin-on-head-kick-the-face-moves”

LOL.

How’s your squat thread going Caveman?

[quote]marrot wrote:
2. My goal is to have a high power/weight ratio so I can get better at breakdancing. [/quote]
I don’t know much about breakdancing but from what I’ve seen it seems very challenging for the upper body and not so challenging for the lower body. Strength wise of course. Getting your legs strong enough to do a front flip isn’t that hard, but one armed hand stand pushups and stuff seems to require more work.

So if your goals is just to get better at breakdancing, maybe you should focus more on overhead presses than squats and deads.

And have you not learned anything from the internet? Just say “Cool story bro” :wink:

[quote]marrot wrote:
how do I say that what I’m doing is working for me, I just want to keep my training simple, and I don’t want to change my training, without seeming like a pretentious prick?
[/quote]

Say that.
I wouldn’t walk away from that thinking you were pretentious.
If they’re stupid enough to think Men’s Health knows what will work for you better than you do from your own experience, they’re retarded.

You should string together a sentence that makes no sense.

When chickenface moowalked to walmart all the marshmallows had kitten juice"

No one will ever talk to you again in the gym.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[/quote]

And then shit yourself with a straight face.

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]marrot wrote:
2. My goal is to have a high power/weight ratio so I can get better at breakdancing. [/quote]
I don’t know much about breakdancing but from what I’ve seen it seems very challenging for the upper body and not so challenging for the lower body. Strength wise of course. Getting your legs strong enough to do a front flip isn’t that hard, but one armed hand stand pushups and stuff seems to require more work.

So if your goals is just to get better at breakdancing, maybe you should focus more on overhead presses than squats and deads.

And have you not learned anything from the internet? Just say “Cool story bro” ;)[/quote]

I see what you mean, I’m just doing 5/3/1 though so I’m not going to change how much of what main lifts I do. And I actually did a handstand push-up against a wall yesterday, it was easier than I thought :smiley:

Thanks everyone for the answers. But what about the second question - do I ever have to worry about eating more if my goal is strictly pound/pound strength?

[quote]ryno76 wrote:

[/quote]

And then shit yourself with a straight face.[/quote]
And be sure to maintain eye contact.

And finish your squats without tripping to the john.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]ryno76 wrote:

[/quote]

And finish your squats without tripping to the john.[/quote]

And scream like Jon North does on every rep.

YEEP YEEP YEP YEP YEEEEEEEEEEPPP

[quote]louiek wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]ryno76 wrote:

[/quote]

And finish your squats without tripping to the john.[/quote]

And scream like Jon North does on every rep.

YEEP YEEP YEP YEP YEEEEEEEEEEPPP[/quote]
Hell yeah! That’s a bitch of a mental picture. LOL.

[quote]marrot wrote:

Now, I’ve gotten stronger. My working weights for clean, front squat, DB bench, and DB OHP have doubled. Weights that used to be hard are now what I dust off in 30 minutes on a deload week. My progress hasn’t been as good as I planned it to be, but I’ve put at least 40 lbs on my bench and OHP and 100 lbs on my deadlift (not sure about squat since I started on a smith machine) since last year. And even though it’s not optimal, it’s solid progress, and I just want to keep my training simple.

But how do I say that what I’m doing is working for me, I just want to keep my training simple, and I don’t want to change my training, without seeming like a pretentious prick?

quote]

doubling your clean, DB bench, front squat &DB OHP, putting 100 on ur dead and 40 on ur bench… sounds like progress to me. if you know what you’re doing is right for you then do it, and when someone tries to tell you you’re wrong, tell them they’re an idiot. because they are. they don’t know you, what your goals are, how you train or anything about your body. be honest with yourself and if you’re good by your standards then keep it up.

I used to get the same thing from other gym-goers. I just smile and say “alright, yes, alright”. If they decided to give me a huge speech or stick around, I’d just walk away. Eventually I made friends with the few people that approached me and they all seem understanding. They still poke fun of how I squat and deadlift too often, but it’s all jokes. Plus when your numbers are higher than theirs and you’re half their size, they’ll respect you and leave you alone.

Seriously now: No one says that stuff to me because I have a beard. But when they have in the past, I correct them with a short sentence. If they argue after that, I say, “That’s nice,” and turn away from them. Usually works.

[quote]marrot wrote:
Thanks everyone for the answers. But what about the second question - do I ever have to worry about eating more if my goal is strictly pound/pound strength?[/quote]
If you don’t eat more you’ll eventually find it hard to get much stronger. (That could take years) At that point you can just start eating more and enjoy the progress then cut down to whatever weight you find best.