Getting Bloodwork Done for the First Time

I’ve never had bloodwork done. 30 y/o Male, 6’3 176lbs.

Looking to find out for a few reasons if my testosterone is low and also some general health testing would be good. I don’t have any insurance that would help with cover these costs. I’ve decided to go thru health tests direct and order my blood tests myself to save money and save on wasting a doctor’s visit. This way I can get results and then go to a doctor to possibly get on TRT if needed.

With that being said, are these blood tests I’m about to order indeed the correct tests that I would need? Here is a link to the site I’m using to order “https://www.health-tests-direct.com/

Here is the tests themselves.

CP311550 Anti Aging/Male Dhea-S, Igf, Tsh,Cbc, Psa, Lipid, Cmp, Estradiol, Testosterone $184.20 Info Remove From Cart

|7020|THYROID I (T4 TOTAL, T3UPTAKE, T7)|$57.09|Info|Remove From Cart|

|17306|Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy, LC/MS/MS 25 Hydroxy-Vitamin D, Cholecalciferol Metabolite|$51.46|Info|Remove From Cart|

|615|Lutenizing Hormone Lh (Lutenizing Hormone)|$41.93|Info|Remove From Cart|

|470|Follicle Stimulating Hormone FSH|$41.96|Info|Remove From Cart|

|30740|Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN (SHBG or TeBG)|$78.92|Info|Remove From Cart|

The E2 test is their ultra sensitive. One person told me it’s what I needed and another I’ve read that it isnt. There is no normal “sensitive” version, only ultra sensitive or not sensitive at all. Also are these the necessary Thyroid components to be tested?

I’ve also read that certain Testosterone tests are better than others at Quest though it was an old post. Not sure how true that is. The Testosterone “test” the anti aging male “package/test” uses is the "36170 Testosterone, Free and Total, LC/MS/MS ". Hope that one is correct.

Thank You

You will need more testing than what you have , for thyroid Free T3 is an important one, it’s the only free thyroid hormone which does all the amazing things. You might consider a telemedicine clinic that are cash pay and probably a better idea anyway because chances of finding a knowledgeable TRT doctor under insurance is next to impossible.

Defy Medical is the telemedicine clinic I use, its between $1200-$2000 yearly pay as you go.

Total T
Free T
SHBG
Estrogen sensitive
CBC
LH
FSH
TSH
Free T4
Free T3
Reverse T3
Antibodies

What symptoms are making you do this? Your reasons affect what to test.

My biggest issue is how incredibly easy I put on weight/fat. While yes I am currently in shape, I struggle every day to maintain my health due to what seems to be a poor metabolism and a constant mental hunger.

Other issues to a milder degree are things I’d imagine just imagine coming with age though none are “severe”. Slightly less libido, recovery from working out taking longer, slightly more easy to become emotional, slight trouble gaining muscle mass. Of course I’d also enjoy any bonuses from the increased Testosterone in the gym.

I’ve switched over to a site called discountedlabs will order thru them it seems. They have an elite male panel that seems to have everything possible and maybe a little more than necessary. But given I’ve never had bloodwork I figured it could be useful.

This is Discounted Labs most comprehensive blood test panel for men. It includes:

· Testosterone, Total and Free LC/MS (no upper limit) (involved in libido, stamina, lean mass, cognitive function, etc. )
· Sensitive Estradiol (involved in libido, bone density, lipids, and high levels linked to gynecomastia)
· IGF-1 (insulin growth factor) (a metabolite of growth hormone)
· Prolactin (involved in low testosterone, low libido, erectile dysfunction)
· DHT (dihydrotestosterone- involved in libido, acne and hair loss. Low levels have been linked to gynecomastia)
· DHEA-S (dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate) (involved in stamina, cognitive function, etc.)
· PSA (prostate specific antigen) (a marker of prostatitis or prostate cancer)
· SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) (a strong binder that limits sex hormones)
· Lipids (LDL, HDL, and triglycerides) (involved in heart disease)
· CBC (complete blood count including hematocrit)
· CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel including kidney and liver function)
· Thyroid Function (involved in stamina, fat, cognitive function, libido, ED, etc.):
o TSH
o Free T3
o Free T4

Also added in a Vit D Test.
99% certain will be placing my order today for these/this test.

Reverse T3 cab block Free T3, might want to add it to your list of tests. It must be tested together with Free T3, not separately. Reverse T3 needs to be <15 ng/dL.

It doesn’t hurt to know any of that info, it will give you a baseline if nothing else. The Vit D test really ins’t that valuable, honestly. D 1-25 would be more useful.