T Nation

Getting Big...

Hi,

This is my first post here, but I’ve been reading the forums for a little while.

I started seriously training about 3 months ago - well as serious as I know how as I’m pretty inexperienced and don’t have any coaching.

I’ll need some dietary and exercise advice but let me give you some stats:

Height: 6’3"
Weight: 205
Fat: Not sure - but looking at pics of other people I would say around %15-20.

My aesthetic goal is to have very prominent and defined muscles when they’re not ‘pumped’, aside from that I’m lifting weights to feel stronger and stay healthy.

I’ve been supplementing with a Creatine Ethyl Ester + Monohydrate combo from PVL - I have tried one from Body Sciences which seemed ok to.
Also, I’ve been eating 3 serves (100grams per serve) of PVL Lean Mass Gainer. It’s a perfect 1:1 ration Carb/Protein mass gainer.

I’m just getting my eating in order (more meals, every 2-3 hours) and have already gained some newbie weight.

Can someone point out which articles I should look at, what other supplements are beneficial, and anything else.

Thanks,

aether

[quote]aether wrote:
Hi,

This is my first post here, but I’ve been reading the forums for a little while.

I started seriously training about 3 months ago - well as serious as I know how as I’m pretty inexperienced and don’t have any coaching.

I’ll need some dietary and exercise advice but let me give you some stats:

Height: 6’3"
Weight: 205
Fat: Not sure - but looking at pics of other people I would say around %15-20.

My aesthetic goal is to have very prominent and defined muscles when they’re not ‘pumped’, aside from that I’m lifting weights to feel stronger and stay healthy.

I’ve been supplementing with a Creatine Ethyl Ester + Monohydrate combo from PVL - I have tried one from Body Sciences which seemed ok to.
Also, I’ve been eating 3 serves (100grams per serve) of PVL Lean Mass Gainer. It’s a perfect 1:1 ration Carb/Protein mass gainer.

I’m just getting my eating in order (more meals, every 2-3 hours) and have already gained some newbie weight.

Can someone point out which articles I should look at, what other supplements are beneficial, and anything else.

Thanks,

aether[/quote]

You say you have put on newbie weight, so you are making gains. Why do you want to change it up so soon? You might want to list what exercises you are doing right now and what you are eating on any given day for a critique of your current program.

Hey,

I’m 21 now (95kg/205lbs), but when I was 18 I was about 70kg!. I’ve only been training for a few months, but have gained a good 10kgs.

Some times I’ll just eat an entire chicken or something like that if I can, but my normal diet is as follows:

On any given day I eat:

Breakfast:
1 protein shake (as mentioned in my first post)
Some toast (When I have time, bacon + eggs)
Coffee
Fruit
Water
Creatine (non training days - otherwise I have it before my workout.)

Meal 2:
A foccacia/sandwich of some sort - normally with chicken.
Water

Lunch:
Some sort of meat and rice or potatoes - like a steak or chicken breast.
Water
Protein shake (unless it’s a work out day, then I’ll have it after my workout)
Coffee

Dinner:
Something similar to my lunch - meat with vegies, rice/potato or a pasta meal.
Protein shake before bed

I don’t know my body fat percentage exactly, so I’m not sure how many calories per day I should aim for. Any tips?

How can I improve my meals? I work 9-5 so it’s hard to eat all day and get a good breakfast in.

I have 2 exercise routines.

I’m sticking to about 3 sets of 6 reps - failing on the 3rd set at the very end.

I don’t know the names for all the exercises, so I’ll list what I can.

Monday + Thursday:
Chest, Triceps, Shoulders

Bench press
Tricep rope extensions
Tricep extensions on a bench (where you lay on your back)
Sitting barbell lifts (straight up over my head)
Incline dumb bell presses
Sit ups on a fit-ball

Tuesday + Friday:
Back, Legs, Biceps

Squats
Incline quad presses
Preacher curls
Incline dumbbell curls
Straight-arm push downs (using lat machine)
Side arm raises
Lat machine
Sit ups

After I’ve worked out, and am pumped, I can already see good results - even when I’m resting it’s pretty good. But I really want to get over the 100kg’s mark (220pounds?) then start to cut down some body fat.

Thank you!

(I’m in Australia, that’s why I’m talking in Kilograms alot of the time.)

I would start eating more than 4 times a day. Add a big bowl of cottage cheese or a big glass of milk with protien powder right before bed. If you wake up in the middle of the night, have another shake. As for another meal…beef jerky, natural peanuts or almonds, yogurt. Those are just a start.

At lunch, add something else. Maybe a salad or some fruit. For breakfast, always always make time for a lot of good calories. Try making a shake with heavy cream for extra calories. Add some natural peanut butter, protien powder, fruit and oats and blend it up. This is good for breaky on the go.

Have a gatorade during workouts and have a protien shake right after. Eat about an hour or so before a workout. Fast digesting carbs and protien are ideal i.e. a protien shake with juice or gatorade or Surge. Same thing after, excpet the after workout meal should be heavy on simple carbs.

As someone bulking, don’t be afraid to have pizza or a burger a few times a week. As I said, a little fat gain wil l happen. Let’s say you put on 10 kilos. As long as say 7-8 kilos of that is muscle, you’re ok. Just hit the cardio after the bulk is done.

Thanks for that information!

Can someone suggest any training programs?

I really like the results that CT got from the OVT program.

What’s my training missing? And what about supplements?

Thanks!

I see that you consume caffeine w/ creatine. I have read several studies that you should not combine caffeine such as coffee with creatine, they say the caffeine cancels out the effects of creatine. I dont know for sure. Maybe someone can confirm my allegation.

your training is missing…half of your body. look in a mirror, then turn around and look over your shoulder. what you see if the other half of your body. i’m no expert, but you might want to start working those “other” muscles that you can’t see.

You want to gain muscle, apparently. A lot of people have gone through the Chad Waterbury programmes with really good results. You lift 4 times a week, good. Perfect for starting the Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Programme.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459341

It is pretty well laid out, so in your spare time you should start reading up on training parameters, such as not just training the muscles you can see in the mirror. Learn about the power of the squat/deadlift/Overhead Press, what lifting heavy does for the rest of the muscles on your body. Learn a bit about splits and total-body training. Learn about the horizontal and vertical lifts and push/pull/squat rather than ‘body parts’.

Good luck

Wow…

I’d really like to know more about caffeine/creatine problems.

I like my coffee and the occasional energy drink… I hope it’s not wasting the money I’m spending on creatine. Although - I would say it’s not doing this entirely as I’m certain I can feel and see a difference when I’m taking creatine…

Thanks

Thanks.

That’s exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.

[quote]aether wrote:
[/quote]

Sounds like you have made some nice gains so far. Keep it up.

Try reading “Are You a Beginner II”. It is at the top of the beginner page and it has links to everything you just asked for.

I wouldn’t worry about taking supplements untill you have a better idea how your body reacts to training and proper nutrition. Also I would eat more real protein sources and cut out the protein shakes a bit. Especially for breakfast. Having a shake then is fine but you should be getting more real food than just toast and fruit. You said you eat eggs and bacon if you have time…make time!

[quote]Modi wrote:
aether wrote:

Sounds like you have made some nice gains so far. Keep it up.

Try reading “Are You a Beginner II”. It is at the top of the beginner page and it has links to everything you just asked for.[/quote]

There is your answer.

Hi,

Well thanks everyone. I’m going to read through all the beginner material this weekend and then try and take some ‘before’ photos.
Then I’ll come up with a better gym plan…

Thanks