Getting Big Quads

I have a question about getting bigger quads. I guess genetically i have small legs but i work hard oo them. I workout in my garage so i dont have access to leg extension machines or a leg press… so i do everything from squatting, safety bar squats, kettlebell swings, GHR’s etc…im more concerned with strength but for busting my ass I’d expect some size.
i posted here because i thought this would be a bodybuilder issue.
thanks for any feed back.

Front Squats

I found that I got a lot more of a quad pump/growth when I quit locking out my squats. Whenever I would lockout squats, my quads never really experienced a whole lot of time under tension, but when I stopped just shy of locking out before beginning the next rep, it got real intense.

Take the bar and put it behind you like a behind the back shrug, and lean it into the cage so that the bar keeps you from falling on your face. Get on your toes and go down with an emphasis on pushing the knees forward. Light weight high reps, like if you squat in the 400s start with 135. I never go over 225. When I ever want to preexhaust quads before squats to feel them more and don’t have an extension I do this. Hits your tear drop and recks the quad.

People with shitty quads almost always do not train with sufficient volume at hard intensities. Legs need heavy ass volume via squats and/or leg press. Pump techniques and special exercise will never be a substitute for them. Training the legs properly is hard work. That is the reason why most people don’t have big legs and the roid monkeys in most gyms are top heavy.

Looking at your log supports the thesis.

Read this article. It will give you a whole new understanding of the intensity of workouts needed to grow big quads. It also shows you how simple this process can be.

high reps. Double the reps you’re doing on your squats now

[quote]superboogie44 wrote:
i do everything from squatting, safety bar squats, kettlebell swings, GHR’s etc…[/quote]
What does your training week look like? The days, exercises, sets, and reps. I couldn’t really cobble together what you’re doing from previous posts. Seems like you never really had a leg day, and focused more on full body sessions. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but even within a full body plan, you can emphasize certain bodyparts in each session.

And having minimal equipment is no real obstacle with some planning. As has been said, back and front squats (including intensity techniques like 1 and a half reps, pause reps, slow tempo, etc.), sissy squats, barbell hacks, lunge variations, step-ups. All great ways to hit the quads, but without knowing what you’re currently doing, it’s random guessing.

Well right now im doing the 531 beach body challenge. I’m using weight for the first time sense my surgerry earlier this year.
That program looked good for me to get started, but when i was done with the 3 weeks i wanted to jump to something with abit more volume on legs.
Was thinking maybe of the boring but big. I kinda guessed my max at 225 sense it had been so long sense I’ve even touched waits. But everything seems easy, maybe i guessed low.

thans for the replies guys.
i have a real busy life because i have a lot of kids so i have done the full body workouts just incase i missed days, atleasy i touched everything. But now that the baby is kinda older (15 months) i can do something real.

Well right now im doing the 531 beach body challenge. I’m using weight for the first time sense my surgerry earlier this year.
That program looked good for me to get started, but when i was done with the 3 weeks i wanted to jump to something with abit more volume on legs.[/quote]
The Beach Body Challenge is 6 weeks, not 3.

Both of those 5/3/1 templates are fine (even though Boring But Big isn’t that much more volume overall), just understand that they absolutely do not address your goal of wanting bigger quads. Bigger and stronger all over, sure, but there’s nothing specifically focused on increasing leg size other than squats and deads.

“Kinda guessing” at starting weights is one of the most common ways people fuck up 5/3/1. Most guys obviously overestimate. If you did actually underestimate, that just means you’ll have extra-slow progress which, in the long run, may or may not be a bad thing depending on how long you stick with it. If you steer away from 5/3/1 right after Boring But Big, then you’re going to short-change yourself.

I only guessed low because like i said im coming off of surgery and it was in my neck so i dont mind slow strength gains because ive done 531 for a couple years and i like it, so i dont mind sticking with it.
Todays workout i may go alittle higher with the squat though because 225 as my TM seemed super easy (old max was 385 a year ago) .
maybe you can check in my log later.

i was thinking bbb because of the 5X10 sets, it seems like a bigger volume style then the beach one.
Also i will be using my safety squat bar to hit quads more, plus its easier on my shoulders, and my neck issues have caused a little soreness to them. But its just soft tissue and dr says its fine and i just need to spend extra time stretching.

But, are you still doing the full 6 weeks challenge or stopping at 3 weeks?

Yes sorry, i am doing the full 6, dont know why i said 3. After i grab kids frok school im going to the garage. Mabe i will hit a bigger number on the squat, this is my second week.

I kinda guessed my max at 225 [/quote]

Well, this is what makes your legs small

[quote]Martimroll94 wrote:

I kinda guessed my max at 225 [/quote]

Well, this is what makes your legs small[/quote]

I know 225 isnt heavy, but im sure you read i came from about a year off and was squatting a lot heavier. But im posting because even in the past its hard for me to gain size… just looking for ideas from some people.
I know genetics plays a huge role but ive seen people with way bigger legs squatting a lot less

Thanks Martimro for virtually pushing me, I was able to push 312 today, i train alone so i need all the pushing i need even if i have to read it

i train in my basement gym too, with a barbell, 2 adjustable dumbbells, an adjustable bench, a kettlebell and a weighted vest.

what i do for quads is heels elevated front squats supersetted with heels elevated back squats.

i dont have a rack so it goes like this.

i clean the bar from the floor, do 8 deep front squats, then i press the bar, put on my shoulders and do 8 deep back squats.

i do 3-4 sets of these and it fries my quads.

give it a try.

if you have a rack, you can go heavier of course.

[quote]Gorillakiv83 wrote:
i clean the bar from the floor, do 8 deep front squats, then i press the bar, put on my shoulders and do 8 deep back squats.

[/quote]
For the record, I would never, ever consider lowering a weight onto my back that was heavy enough to be worth squatting. Never.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[/quote]
For the record, I would never, ever consider lowering a weight onto my back that was heavy enough to be worth squatting. Never.[/quote]

this actually turns into a pre-fatigue superset.
when you start the back squat, the quads are already fatigued so not much weight is needed.
works for me.

i train in my basement gym too, with a barbell, 2 adjustable dumbbells, an adjustable bench, a kettlebell and a weighted vest.

what i do for quads is heels elevated front squats supersetted with heels elevated back squats.

i dont have a rack so it goes like this.

give it a try.

if you have a rack, you can go heavier of course.[/quote]

I have a hard time imagining this to be effective. This thread isn’t about limited equipment. Get a gym membership or invest in basic equipment

In the very least I wouldn’t recommend what you are currently doing to someone already struggling to build their quads