T Nation

Getting Big / Maintaining Cardio

Hello all,
Been a while since I’ve posted cuz I took a little vacation and went back home.
My problem is I am in the military and need to run a mile and a half under 11min. This usually is no problem for me I used to be able to run it in under 8min 30sec. But since I started bulking my run time has dropped significantly (10min 30sec) and is getting slower with each new pound I put on. I went from around 150 to about 182 and I would like to get over 200lbs before I cut. But I can’t continue to bulk if I can’t pass my run.

I don’t like the thought of doing more cardio but it seems like a must now. Last week I started a new work out.
I wear 35lb. backpack and do sprints up and down a hill. I do about 10 sprints then try to run a mile. My legs are my weak point so I figure this will help to get them in shape while improving cardio my run time. But my question is, am I better off just running the track without weights. I know I’m burning more calories by putting a weight on my back but i thought maybe it would help to bulk out my legs. Not sure if I’m taking a step in the wrong direction. Any advice??

build muscle in the gym and work on your run time on the track.

I think the best thing you can do for your run time is to just practice the 1.5 mile run. Also running shorter distances to work on speed and slightly longer distances to build endurance may help you out. Alternate the 3 different runs over the course of the week and you should be fine.

Don’t run with weights. Good suggestions by the previous poster. But I have to tell you, I wouldn’t ever expect to be as good a runner again. I was a distance runner at a very high level. I bulked up, probably topping out in the low 190s at around 9% bodyfat at 5’7. In my endurance peak I was in the 140s. I have been doing an endurance stint again [training for the half marathon], and I’m somewhere in the 170s, lean. I expect to run in about 7 minute pace. I used to do training runs around 6:30 pace. I don’t ever expect to get back there. And really don’t want to. I’d rather have more muscle. But you can maintain cardiovascular fitness without being scrawny.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Would you recommend sticking to the same calorie intake while doing this, or upping calorie intake, or keeping the calorie intake but upping the carbs???

[quote]JNeves wrote:

I think the best thing you can do for your run time is to just practice the 1.5 mile run. Also running shorter distances to work on speed and slightly longer distances to build endurance may help you out. Alternate the 3 different runs over the course of the week and you should be fine.[/quote]

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses.

Would you recommend sticking to the same calorie intake while doing this, or upping calorie intake, or keeping the calorie intake but upping the carbs???

JNeves wrote:

I think the best thing you can do for your run time is to just practice the 1.5 mile run. Also running shorter distances to work on speed and slightly longer distances to build endurance may help you out. Alternate the 3 different runs over the course of the week and you should be fine.

[/quote]

I’d assume you’d want to at least replace the calories you lose from the running. So you’d have to have more calories. Try to figure out how many calories you lose while running. I’ve seen estimates of what the average adult burns per hour of different activities, inlcuding running. It shouldn’t be too hard to find this.