T Nation

Getting Big, and Then Getting Ripped

At the moment I am 176lbs and lean, but I’m aiming to get to 190-200lbs, before I look to get as ripped as possible.

So, firstly, I need to add a minimum of 14 lbs, with extra calories, with the help of a weight gainer, I’m positive I can do this before the end of the year.

My weight training schedule is gonna be an Upper/Lower split, after checking Chad Waterbury’s articles, he gives a good explanation of why an Upper/Lower split could add more muscle. Than a single body part split.

SECONDLY, after I have put on my size, to get as ripped as possible, I will do cardio for 2-3 days a week, and would the best rep range be 12-20, to make the muscle look as ripped as possible? Along with having a low bodyfat of course.

Diet, as in very low body fat, makes a muscle defined and “ripped”.

I’ve always been kinda curious as to how to shed all that fat without losing strength and muscle…

I read recently that when cutting it’s a myth that you lower the weight used and do more reps, as the muscle will simply decrease as there’s no need for it to be there(not being stimulated enough with the low weight). Makes sense to me anyway…

I assume therefore that you must simply add cardio and adjust your diet for that ‘‘ripped’’ look…

How wrong or correct am I…?

“ripped” is all about your body fat percentage. If you can lower this number while maintaining your muscle is how you will look the best. There are many arguments on how best to reach this goal but the goal is always the same.

Also, be careful about weigh gainer. Often those products are full of fat which makes you heavier but there are no real benefits. You are much better off kicking up your calories with extra protein products including protein bars and shakes.

[quote]slazeagle wrote:
“ripped” is all about your body fat percentage. If you can lower this number while maintaining your muscle is how you will look the best. There are many arguments on how best to reach this goal but the goal is always the same.

Also, be careful about weigh gainer. Often those products are full of fat which makes you heavier but there are no real benefits. You are much better off kicking up your calories with extra protein products including protein bars and shakes.[/quote]

What’s wrong with fat, it’s all the extra sugar and low uality protein in weight gainers that make them less than optimal.

[quote]slazeagle wrote:

Also, be careful about weigh gainer. Often those products are full of fat which makes you heavier but there are no real benefits. You are much better off kicking up your calories with extra protein products including protein bars and shakes.[/quote]

I know that there’s a lot of crap weight gaining products about,so I’ll be careful.

I need help withaking my upper/lower split

Monday
Squat 4x8
Leg curls 4x10
?

Tuesday
Upper horizontal Push/Pull
Incline Bench Press 4x8
Close-grip bench press 4x6
Barbell row 4x6
Seated row 4x8

Thursday
Lower
Deadlifts 4x6
Leg Press 4x10
?

Friday
Upper vertical Push/Pull
Shoulder variation 4x6-10
wide grip dips 3xmax
chin-ups 3xmax
lat pulldown 3x10

when “cutting” lift with low reps and heavy a$$ weight

this prevents breakdown of your neurological systems regarding how accustomed your body is to heavy a$$ weight, so you will lose as little strength as possible (you might even gain strength). also, this will help you keep your myogenic tone in your muscles, giving you a denser and harder muscle. Incorporate a lot of compounds/Olympic lifts (DO NOT DO OLYMPIC LIFTS UNLESS YOU HAVE PERFECT FORM). you want to do exercises that stimulate many muscle groups; examples: deadlift, overhead squat, etc.

high reps are shit IMO, unless you have been doing low reps for a while and you want to switch to high reps to stimulate your muscles