Getting Back to Lifting. What Template?

Hi I have hypothyroidism and I had to take close to 1.5 years off because my doctor and I were building up my meds…anything that stresses the body (adrenals) isn’t good…my doctor said I can start up lifting again but go by feel and don’t push too hard…before I stopped these were my stats

155bw
437 squat
286 bench
507 deadlift

So I was pretty advanced…I’d like to do 2x a week, max 3x for now…I didn’t know how to go about training maxes as I don’t want to push myself hard to find out what I’m capable of right now

Let me know what template you’d do thanks

Why don’t you just go with very, very conservative and standard numbers? 185 BP, 275 SQ, 315-365 DL…something like that.

If you want to lift twice a week, do W1D1 - squats, W1D2 - bench, W2D1 - deadlift, W2D2 - press, and repeat. One main lift with some body weight assistance done twice a week should not be too stressful.

Or if you want, do W1D1 - squats AND bench, W1D2 - deadlift AND press, repeat. That’s a little more heavy work but it’s up to you.

Curious about having to take over a year off though…my mom has hypothyroidism and was never told to not exert herself for 18 months…

For what it’s worth - I just started back lifting after a three year break due to Lyme Disease. My adrenals are pretty shot but I’m doing ok with a 2x workout routine. I started really light and I do one day of squat and military press and one day of bench press and deadlift. Occasionally I’ll do two sets of curls or a set of back extensions afterwards. I do the main lifts at 5x5 but will eventually progress to 5/3/1 when I start to stall (probably the “I’m not doing jack shit” template from book one). Granted, my numbers are way lower than yours but I thought I’d share my experience.

My favorite 2x week template is:

Week 1
Day 1
Squat 5s pro
Squat variation- 50 total reps
Deadlift variation- 50 total reps
Assistance

Day 2
Bench 5s pro/chins
Press variation- 50 total reps
Rows - 50 total reps
Assistance

Week 2
Day 1
Deadlift - 5s pro
Squat variation- 50 total reps
Deadlift variation- 50 total reps
Assistance

Day 2
Press 5s pro/chins
Bench variation- 50 total reps
Rows - 50 total reps

Just go super light on everything and focus on bar speed.

2 Likes

Only you know what good for you not a bunch of strangers on the internet and if you dont its up to you to find out, in other words… trail and error.