Getting Back on Track

Hello everyone. I need to get back on track. I haven’t done anything (workout or diet) for the past couple of months and barely enough to maintain past results the previous year and a half. Prior to the past two years of minimal effort I made some pretty good progress, however, I still have further to go now than most have at any point in their lives. I am currently 290 pounds with approximately 42% body fat (Tanita body fat scale) up from a low of 265 with BF% in the mid thirties and down from a high of 450+ pounds with unknown BF%.

I am 24 years old (soon to be 25), 6’2” tall and have a medium frame so I figure with my current weight, body fat and frame size I would like to be 200 – 225 pounds with 10 – 15% body fat (preferably lower than 15 but considering where I am coming from I guess that wouldn’t be too bad).

That all being said, I realize that I need to go back to my initial mentality of trying to get healthy rather than trying to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible. I am going to use the Massive Eating program and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the macronutrient combining theory that John Berardi suggests.

I’ve not lifted during this time either so I am going to apply an alternating upper/lower body split for the first 3 - 4 weeks working out 3 days a week After this I plan on doing a strength phase for 4 – 6 weeks adding an extra workout day followed by Meltdown Training for another 4 – 6 weeks. I will also be following Berardi’s cardio recommendations for trying to lean out during this entire period. I figure that during this 12 – 16-week stint I should be able to lose 40 – 50 pounds and hopefully not lose much muscle mass. After that I am not sure what I am going to do but I will make that decision when I get there, or at least a lot closer than I am right now.

If anyone has any suggestions, critiques or anything else that they would like to comment on I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you for reading.