T Nation

Getting Back Into Things

I have been working out just less than a year now, however I took a 3 week break from lifting for a vacation I am now ready to go back and start hitting the weights again but I was looking for some advice/tips on what to watch out for when lifting again after an extended break.

Prior to this I have never taken more than 5-7 days and that was always as a planned rest week during a program, any help would be greatly appreciated.

uh…no, nothing to really watch out for.

I wouldn’t expect to jump right back into the weights you were doing before. Just sandbag it for a week, then hit it full steam the next.

I don’t understand how people take long breaks.

[quote]Psicks wrote:
I have been working out just less than a year now, however I took a 3 week break from lifting for a vacation I am now ready to go back and start hitting the weights again but I was looking for some advice/tips on what to watch out for when lifting again after an extended break.

Prior to this I have never taken more than 5-7 days and that was always as a planned rest week during a program, any help would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]

I would not do the weight you were using for your workout before your vacation. You may have to work up to where you were again otherwise you could strain/sprain or possibly tear a muscle group. You may have to retrain your body in a diet aspect as well. Im sure your vacation consisted of a good diet :wink:

if you warm up properly and use strict form, injury should not be a concern.

Three weeks off isn’t a terribly long time, you probably haven’t lost much strength.

My only tip is set some goals. I want to squat 275 or I want to do 3 chins with 45 pounds hanging from a belt. Then eat and train to reach that goal before you take another deserved break

I’m coming back off a 2 month rest (really no excuse for it, first 2 weeks I was hurt but the last 6 I was being lazy and stupid). I lifted again 2 days ago and I am extremely sore. That’s the only thing I would watch out for, your body might be a bit sorer then your used to.