Getting Back into Shooting

Well after 24 yrs of not firing a real weapon I a feel the urge to start shooting again. I just applied for my FOID card and that should be in my hands by the end of the year and then it would be time to go shopping. I have a couple of questions:

1. When you go to sites like Slick guns and it links you to a store to sell you the weapon they ship it to a dealer near you. What on average does the FFL Dealer charge you and are most pretty cool with that?

2. Is that they way to buy now-a-days due to the price differences you see in retail versus what you see online ?

3. What do you guys recommend to get back into shooting? I plan on going 1/week to shoot so ammo cost will be an issue.

have not bought a gun in a long time but because of current political climate
i say support your local gun store

If you have a local gun store all the better (compare prices to online). I have only one gun store (and Academy as well) near me and have used it many times. Also, I have purchased from Buds many times as well and have always gotten great service and great price. TeamBuds is the way to go and pay with credit card if you can. My FFL charges $25, but another has just opened up that charges only $10. If using Buds try to select an FFL that is already on their approved list. I just finished an intermediate rifle class on Tuesday (it was a private lesson that lasted about 3 hours). Previously i took a class to get an “enhanced carry” rider to my concealed carry license. Both classes were great. You can get a lot of info from youtube but nothing like hands-on personal instruction. I didn’t have the benefit of growing up around weapons so I’ve had to learn. Have fun!

1. When you go to sites like Slick guns and it links you to a store to sell you the weapon they ship it to a dealer near you. What on average does the FFL Dealer charge you and are most pretty cool with that?

*$25-50 for the transfer is typical plus the normal FFL fees for your area. Some shops are more accommodating than others. Call ahead or ask your online vendor who they have worked with in your area.

1. Is that they way to buy now-a-days due to the price differences you see in retail versus what you see online ?
  • Very common. An online dealer like Bud’s Guns typically has excellent pricing compared to your local shop. But remember to count all the fees on both ends before deciding if it’s a better deal. Also if pricing is close, support your local shop. That way they’ll be there when you need them.
  1. What do you guys recommend to get back into shooting? I plan on going 1/week to shoot so ammo cost will be an issue.
  • Unless you’re training up for something shoot as often as as money allows and balance it with the rest of your life. If you go out too hard too fast you are more likely to burn out. This is a great lifetime hobby, sport, recreation (or however you view it).

Thanks so far for the information.

I live in the Suburbs of Chicago with some reputable shops and ranges within 30 minutes of me.

I was thinking of a 1911-22LR ATI GSG to start with again or another 22LR that is a Segway into the larger bores but on the same frame like a Walther 22LR to a Walther PPX 9mm.

Anyone have any suggestions?

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Thanks so far for the information.

I live in the Suburbs of Chicago with some reputable shops and ranges within 30 minutes of me.

I was thinking of a 1911-22LR ATI GSG to start with again or another 22LR that is a Segway into the larger bores but on the same frame like a Walther 22LR to a Walther PPX 9mm.

Anyone have any suggestions?[/quote]

Sir,
Congratulations on deciding to learn a weapons system and become more proficient in firearms skills. The main question I have, is what is your purpose? recreational target shooting? IPSC? personal defense or home defense? Each of those will require a different mindset and weapons system.

If that is you, in your avatar, then I am going to assume you are a large man with average to larger hands. Handguns are like boots, one must fit perfectly or you will never learn to shoot with speed and accuracy. My first suggestion would be to go to an indoor gun range that offers rental pistols and shoot a variety of brands.

I and others on this forum, have written a lot of material on weapons defense strategy and training. I would encourage you to read the last two pages of the “knife thread” where I gave my opinion on weapon selection and read through the “Active Shooter thread” for information on surviving an active shooter scenario. Lot of very solid information here and forum members will help in way we can. Good luck.

Knife Attack - Combat - Forums - T Nation

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/active_shooter

Idaho: Thank you for your answer to my queries. Yes that is me in my Avatar. I am 6ft tall with large palms and short fingers. The 1911 fits me well as does some of the ergonomically styled compact pistols .

I will start at Target plinking and hopefully move on to competitive shooting.

My home defense weapon is an old Mossberg shotgun 12G.

Edit: Took out irrelevant information