Getting Back Into Routine After Lower Back Injury

I suffered a vertebral compression fracture of my L4 vertebrae and demolished the disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrae when I flipped my car off the side of an off ramp this past January. I spent 5 days in the hospital and 60 days in a back brace. I returned to work after 45 days of wearing the brace (labor intensive job) after being cleared by my spinal/neurological physician. I returned to my doctor after the 60 days of wearing the brace and he said that since I was walking fine and that the pain in my back was gone, that the brace must have rebuilt the disc that I destroyed. He said that the discs can rebuild themselves if you wear a brace, sleep right and stay on your feet.

It has been 9 months since the injury and I just started getting back into my workout routine about 3 months ago. I started out light, right from where I began lifting years ago and I’m slowly adding more weight each week. I added dead lifts and squats into my routine this and I’m wondering if that’s a bad idea. I noticed that a lot of people have suffered a similar injury on this forum and I’m looking for some advise.

I should also add that I haven’t really felt any back pain since performing a couple sets of both squats and dead lifts. I felt a sharp pain a couple times over the week that only lasted a second, but other than that everything has been pretty good. Anyone have any advise?