Getting Back Into Motion

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and wanted to post my info and ask for some advice on moving forward.

-height: 5’9"
-waist: 32"
-weight: 160lbs.
-describe body and facial hair: normal distribution body hair; light beard
-describe where you carry fat and how changed: over the past 5 years have progressively developed abdominal fat and loss of muscle tone.
-health conditions, symptoms [history]: Treated for past 7 years for depression with various antidepressants, none of which has had remarkable results. Typical symptoms include low energy, lack of enjoyment, loss of interest, decreased sex drive.
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever : Took Propecia for about 2 years when I was in early 30’s. Currently prescribed Nardil 30 mg (an antidepressant).
-lab results with range: see below
-describe diet: not as great as it could be recently, but generally try to stick to low fat, high protein diets.
-describe training: when my energy level allows, I try to exercise 3-4 times a week; generally cardio and weight training. Certainly nothing excessive at this point.
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? No
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed: decreased in frequency and intensity

As a result of this, I decided to see an Anti-aging MD. She performed lab tests, the results of which are below (normal values in parentheses):

TSH 1.34 (.45 -4.5)
T3, Free 2.8 (2.0-4.4)
T4, Free 1.03 (0.82-1.77)

Normal CBC
Normal Metabolic panel: glucose 90.
Normal electrolytes
Cholesterol, Total 188 (100-199)
Triglycerides 67 (0-149)
HDL Cholesterol 60 (.39)
LDL cholesterol 115 (0-99)

LH 6.0 (1.7 - 8.6)
FSH 4.4 (1.5-12.4)

Testosterone, Serum 435 (348-1197)
Free Testosterone (Direct) 10.4 (6.8 - 21.5)
Sex Horm binding Glob, Serum 28.6 (16.5 - 55.9)

Estradiol, Sensitive 12 (3 - 70)

Pregnenolone, MS 72
DHEA-Sulfate: 212.6 (44.3-331.0)

Prostate-Specific AG, Serum 0.9 (0.0 - 4.0)

IGF-1 175 (94-252)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 22.7 (30.0 - 100.0)

As a result of these labs, she started me on the following treatment:

Compounded testosterone cream 150mg/ml, 1 ml per day
Arimidex 0.25 mg per WEEK
DHEA 25 mg per day
Armour Thyroid 0.25 mg per day
Pregnenolone 10 mg per day

I tried this regimen for 2 months with only minimal results. Sex drive and performance improved only minimally. Energy level unchanged. Mood unchanged.

I’ve decided to switch to injectable testosterone cypionate (because I’m not sure I was absorbing the topical cream). My doc suggested starting with a 200 mg dose for the first injection, then 100 mg weekly thereafter. I’ve taken the second injection just today (all of this happened before I discovered this forum). I’m in the process of getting the synringes/needles suggested by KSMan to dose the test cypionate twice weekly. After the first injection of 200 mg, I have had a rebound of my sex drive and started to have morning erections and a better energy level. My questions revolve around what to do moving forward.

Questions I have:

1. when should I have new lab tests done?
  2. Should I increase the arimidex to 1 mg per week (as recommended here) until next lab draw?
  3. Thoughts about continuing other meds: DHEA, pregnenolone, thyroid supplementation
  4. Since I travel for work and typically leave on Monday mornings and return on Thursday evenings, would a schedule of test cyp injections every Monday (50 mg) and Thursday (50 mg) be a reasonable starting dose/schedule?
  5. Thoughts about adding hCG? Not planning to have any children, but I have noticed that my testicles are retracting.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.

Dennis

[quote]Dbarton85 wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and wanted to post my info and ask for some advice on moving forward.

-height: 5’9"
-waist: 32"
-weight: 160lbs.
-describe body and facial hair: normal distribution body hair; light beard
-describe where you carry fat and how changed: over the past 5 years have progressively developed abdominal fat and loss of muscle tone.
-health conditions, symptoms [history]: Treated for past 7 years for depression with various antidepressants, none of which has had remarkable results. Typical symptoms include low energy, lack of enjoyment, loss of interest, decreased sex drive.
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever : Took Propecia for about 2 years when I was in early 30’s. Currently prescribed Nardil 30 mg (an antidepressant).
-lab results with range: see below
-describe diet: not as great as it could be recently, but generally try to stick to low fat, high protein diets.
-describe training: when my energy level allows, I try to exercise 3-4 times a week; generally cardio and weight training. Certainly nothing excessive at this point.
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? No
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed: decreased in frequency and intensity

As a result of this, I decided to see an Anti-aging MD. She performed lab tests, the results of which are below (normal values in parentheses):

TSH 1.34 (.45 -4.5)
T3, Free 2.8 (2.0-4.4)
T4, Free 1.03 (0.82-1.77)

Normal CBC
Normal Metabolic panel: glucose 90.
Normal electrolytes
Cholesterol, Total 188 (100-199)
Triglycerides 67 (0-149)
HDL Cholesterol 60 (.39)
LDL cholesterol 115 (0-99)

LH 6.0 (1.7 - 8.6)
FSH 4.4 (1.5-12.4)

Testosterone, Serum 435 (348-1197)
Free Testosterone (Direct) 10.4 (6.8 - 21.5)
Sex Horm binding Glob, Serum 28.6 (16.5 - 55.9)

Estradiol, Sensitive 12 (3 - 70)

Pregnenolone, MS 72
DHEA-Sulfate: 212.6 (44.3-331.0)

Prostate-Specific AG, Serum 0.9 (0.0 - 4.0)

IGF-1 175 (94-252)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 22.7 (30.0 - 100.0)

As a result of these labs, she started me on the following treatment:

Compounded testosterone cream 150mg/ml, 1 ml per day
Arimidex 0.25 mg per WEEK
DHEA 25 mg per day
Armour Thyroid 0.25 mg per day
Pregnenolone 10 mg per day

I tried this regimen for 2 months with only minimal results. Sex drive and performance improved only minimally. Energy level unchanged. Mood unchanged.

I’ve decided to switch to injectable testosterone cypionate (because I’m not sure I was absorbing the topical cream). My doc suggested starting with a 200 mg dose for the first injection, then 100 mg weekly thereafter. I’ve taken the second injection just today (all of this happened before I discovered this forum). I’m in the process of getting the synringes/needles suggested by KSMan to dose the test cypionate twice weekly. After the first injection of 200 mg, I have had a rebound of my sex drive and started to have morning erections and a better energy level. My questions revolve around what to do moving forward.

Questions I have:

1. when should I have new lab tests done?
  2. Should I increase the arimidex to 1 mg per week (as recommended here) until next lab draw?
  3. Thoughts about continuing other meds: DHEA, pregnenolone, thyroid supplementation
  4. Since I travel for work and typically leave on Monday mornings and return on Thursday evenings, would a schedule of test cyp injections every Monday (50 mg) and Thursday (50 mg) be a reasonable starting dose/schedule?
  5. Thoughts about adding hCG? Not planning to have any children, but I have noticed that my testicles are retracting.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.

Dennis

[/quote]

Before staring in HRT I would have adjusted of other factors to make your testoterone more available to the body and even boost other levels.
When going to antiaging Dr many of them want to stick you on 200 mgs of T, 500 ius of HCG, .5 mgs of adex 2 times a week then send you out the door. Some times in these situation its better to look at the whole picture rather then jumping on the needle right away. You have several factors which need to be attend to before TRT should have even been pursued. Antiaging Dr’s some are good, but rare and many are only after one thing making a profit. After being on TRT for a bit, they will be asking you about HGH next because of your age. Amazing you start out on TRT now you are on looking into taking the whole kitchen sink which much of it is unneeded if you get your T dosage dialed in properly. Idea of spending $200 a month is ridiculous when much of it was not needed in the first place…

Are the posted Thyroid results from before or after being started on Thyroid meds? Did you get labs done after starting this regimen? I would look into getting everything retested, along with adding in cortisol and possibly RT3.

Not enough info here for anybody to really help you, and my bet is that the vets are not likely to respond in a helpful manner until you review and follow the stickies (the postings at the top of the TRT forum, each of which have several thousand views).

Best

all of the labs were done before any therapy started.
hardasnails, what other factors would you suggest to have looked into?

[quote]Dbarton85 wrote:
all of the labs were done before any therapy started.
hardasnails, what other factors would you suggest to have looked into?[/quote]

Why the hell were you put on Thyroid meds? Sounds like your “doctor” is an absolute idiot if you were prescribed this for no valid reason.

I’ve been on test cyp 150 mg per week in weekly shots. Planning to get my level in a couple of weeks and then shift to twice weekly injections. My question is on what day should I check my blood level after last injection? Thanks

On test cyp 150 mg per week in weekly injections. Plan on getting my 6 week test blood work and then switching to doing 2 shots per week. My question is on what day after last cyp shot should I get my blood level for the result to be meaningful? Thanks.

Lab updates, and I can use a little help interpreting. Taking 150 mg test cyp each week. 250 iu of HCG on days 5 and 6 before next injection and 1 mg of anastrazole per week. Trough levels are as follows:

Total Testosterone 1142 (348 to 1197)
Free testosterone 28.1 (6.8 to 21.5)
Estradiol, sensitive 20

Obviously the trough levels are high. Should I just decrease my weekly injection dose and, if so, to what dose? Thanks guys.

SYMPTOMS!

Symptoms all improved. Only side effect is swelling in lower legs. Is this a sign that I’m on too much?

If you feel good at the current dose, and are not experiencing any negatives (no idea what would cause lower leg swelling) then I would fight like hell to keep my dose right where its at.