T Nation

Getting back into it

Just getting back into serious weightlifting training. Not heavy by any mean (115kg) but it’s a start. Shooting for the 130s again by november.

Nice. What are you weighing these days?

Nice, pretty much a hang power snatch. What were your PBs back in the day?

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Nice. What are you weighing these days?[/quote]

92-93ish

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
Nice, pretty much a hang power snatch. What were your PBs back in the day?[/quote]

From blocks 125kg x 3, 135kg x 1, from floor 142.5 x 1

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Nice. What are you weighing these days?[/quote]

92-93ish[/quote]
Skinny. Any plans to compete again?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
Nice, pretty much a hang power snatch. What were your PBs back in the day?[/quote]

From blocks 125kg x 3, 135kg x 1, from floor 142.5 x 1[/quote]

Nice.

Get some more vids :slight_smile:

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
Nice, pretty much a hang power snatch. What were your PBs back in the day?[/quote]

From blocks 125kg x 3, 135kg x 1, from floor 142.5 x 1[/quote]

Nice.

Get some more vids :slight_smile:

Koing[/quote]
Next person to post besides CT has to say something other than “nice”

I don’t know if it’s just me but that video is incredibly laggy and plays at 1/4 normal speed.

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
Nice, pretty much a hang power snatch. What were your PBs back in the day?[/quote]

From blocks 125kg x 3, 135kg x 1, from floor 142.5 x 1[/quote]

Nice.

Get some more vids :slight_smile:

Koing[/quote]

Yes, as I get less bad I’ll do more :slight_smile:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Nice. What are you weighing these days?[/quote]

92-93ish[/quote]
Skinny. Any plans to compete again?[/quote]

If I get back to acceptable numbers again, yes

Right now my training is fairly simple:

  1. Technical exercise (snatch variation or clean/jerk variation)
  2. Strength movement (a pull or a squat)
  3. Speed movement (power snatch variation, power clean variation or jump squat)

Sometimes I’ll throw in a pressing exercise here and there

I rotate between snatch and clean & jerk days, train 6 days a week.

For the lift variations I only use either lifts from the floor or from blocks (used from the hang when I got back into training, but not once I’m able to hit my positions properly).

My strength movements are: back squat, snatch pull to hips, clean pull from floor. I don’t do front squats right now because my elbow tends to flare up if I do too many “front rack” exercises.

I’m toying with the idea of adding a light “no feet” lift at the end of each workout… on my snatch workouts I might add 4 sets of 3 no feet cleans at the end of the session and on the clean & jerk sessions I might add 4 sets of 3 no feet snatches. This was recommended by a lifter I train for shoulder rehab, former Canadian record holder so I might listen to him :slight_smile:

That sounds very similar to my training atm except I usually do a pressing exercise instead of the speed movement. What do you feel the benefit of no feet lifts is?

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
That sounds very similar to my training atm except I usually do a pressing exercise instead of the speed movement. What do you feel the benefit of no feet lifts is? [/quote]

Improving precision of the pull, learning to keep the bar close and to finish the pull. I tend to go too soon under the bar.

On the cleans I also find that it helps improve the timing under (to avoid the barbell crashing)

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Nice. What are you weighing these days?[/quote]

92-93ish[/quote]
Skinny. Any plans to compete again?[/quote]

If I get back to acceptable numbers again, yes[/quote]
Cool. Well maybe I’ll see you at nationals next year, they’re a little closer to home for you, Toronto I think.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
Nice, pretty much a hang power snatch. What were your PBs back in the day?[/quote]

From blocks 125kg x 3, 135kg x 1, from floor 142.5 x 1[/quote]

Nice.

Get some more vids :slight_smile:

Koing[/quote]

Yes, as I get less bad I’ll do more :)[/quote]

I like to see full lifts :slight_smile:

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
Nice, pretty much a hang power snatch. What were your PBs back in the day?[/quote]

From blocks 125kg x 3, 135kg x 1, from floor 142.5 x 1[/quote]

Nice.

Get some more vids :slight_smile:

Koing[/quote]

Yes, as I get less bad I’ll do more :)[/quote]

I like to see full lifts :slight_smile:

Koing[/quote]

Sure thing. Actually that was the first time in 2 years I did a lift from blocks. Just felt stiff and wanted something easy to do.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Sure thing. Actually that was the first time in 2 years I did a lift from blocks. Just felt stiff and wanted something easy to do.[/quote]

A couple of months back was my first Sn from the blocks as well. And like you I hadn’t done any lifts from blocks in about 3-5yrs?!

Got to be flexible for the Sn. It punishes you heavily for not being flexible!

Koing

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
That sounds very similar to my training atm except I usually do a pressing exercise instead of the speed movement. What do you feel the benefit of no feet lifts is? [/quote]

I don’t know if you pay any attention to Norik Vardanian, but he does a TON of no feet snatches and almost seems to swear by them for keeping the bar close.

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
That sounds very similar to my training atm except I usually do a pressing exercise instead of the speed movement. What do you feel the benefit of no feet lifts is? [/quote]

I don’t know if you pay any attention to Norik Vardanian, but he does a TON of no feet snatches and almost seems to swear by them for keeping the bar close.[/quote]

Norik also likes to do a lot of Push Presses as well.

Koing