T Nation

Getting Back Into It

I have recently been ‘off the wagon’ of lifting for about 4 months. I am naturally a very thin guy and a hard gainer. I had previously put on about 15lbs of muscle. In the last 4 months though, I have reverted almost all the way back to my skinny(er) self. I’m start a new lifting and nutrition plan next week.

Now I’ve heard people say a million times something to the effect of if you’ve put on muscle at one point and then lost it, it’s really easy to get it back because of muscle memory.

I just thought I would ask if there was any truth to this. since I’ve had some sort of muscle mass before, is it going to come back ‘easily’ once i get on a program again? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jake

Eat and get to work, it’s always easier the second round. Do you really need people to reassure you all the time? Anyways good luck glad your back “on the wagon”.

[quote]Kbjake wrote:
I have recently been ‘off the wagon’ of lifting for about 4 months. I am naturally a very thin guy and a hard gainer. I had previously put on about 15lbs of muscle. In the last 4 months though, I have reverted almost all the way back to my skinny(er) self. I’m start a new lifting and nutrition plan next week.

Now I’ve heard people say a million times something to the effect of if you’ve put on muscle at one point and then lost it, it’s really easy to get it back because of muscle memory.

I just thought I would ask if there was any truth to this. since I’ve had some sort of muscle mass before, is it going to come back ‘easily’ once i get on a program again? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jake

[/quote]

Its not gonna be “easy” and it wont come quick, but it shouldn’t take as long as it did to get it the 1st time if you do everything right IMO. How long had you been training before you stopped for the 4 months? You should post your routine and diet here for people to comment on it 'cause you say you are a hard gainer but really you might just be training and eating like total shit.

Post this stuff along with your lifts if you like. Members can comment on it and possibly make this time around easier for you. Friends of mine always gave me the “but I’m a hard gainer” excuse but once they started training and eating properly the weight started stacking on and lifts went up.

Thank you both for your opinions. i wasn’t necessarily looking for reassurance, was just curious if there was any truth to it or if it was just some bullshit people say.

It took me about a year to put on the 15 pounds. Hard gainer…you’re probably right tokyopop, the hard part was figuring out what worked for me, but once i did, it happened pretty easily. Thanks for the advice, i think i will post my diet and routine on here.

[quote]Kbjake wrote:
Hard gainer…you’re probably right tokyopop, the hard part was figuring out what worked for me, but once i did, it happened pretty easily. Thanks for the advice, i think i will post my diet and routine on here. [/quote]

Yea no worries, it was pretty much the same for me the 1st 6 or so months.