Getting Back in Shape

I’m new to the forums so forgive me if I’m asking common generic questions.

Over the last 2 yrs I’ve gotten out of shape, having 2 kids, eating like shit, and not training as much will do that to you I suppose. I’m 6 feet and currently 195 lbs. When I’m in good shape I’m normally in the 175-180lbs range which is what I’d like to get back to.

With 2 kids and a wife who works nights I’m on a very set schedule. I will be waking up M-F at 5:15 am and be at the gym for 6:15 am. On M-W-F I will be training Muay thai & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. On Tue & Thurs I will be lifting and cardio.

I know how to clean up my diet and will be eating 6 meals a day. My goal is to shed fat and build muscle.

My biggest question surrounds the first meal of the day. Should I have a protein shake or something on my way to the gym? should I not have anything until after I train? I’m not sure what’s best for my goal.

Also even when I’m in good shape I always seem to store fat in the love handle region. I’ve seen some articles that hint it may be a result of insulin sensitivity. I saw the receptormax is supposed to help with this but its out of stock and also very expensive. Any other supps anyone suggests?

Appreciate the help.

Stan

[quote]nuksookow wrote:
My biggest question surrounds the first meal of the day. Should I have a protein shake or something on my way to the gym? should I not have anything until after I train? I’m not sure what’s best for my goal.[/quote]
Have a protein shake before you train.
OR, have some BCAAs mixed with water before and during your workout.

[quote]
Also even when I’m in good shape I always seem to store fat in the love handle region. I’ve seen some articles that hint it may be a result of insulin sensitivity. I saw the receptormax is supposed to help with this but its out of stock and also very expensive. Any other supps anyone suggests?[/quote]
If they are out of stock and too expensive for your budget then go to the Recepotmax page and look at the ingredients list. Research which ingredients in the product are in your budget and whether they work. Just goggle each ingredient and weigh the pros and cons of taking it. If it makes sense try it and see if you like it.

[quote]nuksookow wrote:
I’m new to the forums so forgive me if I’m asking common generic questions.

Over the last 2 yrs I’ve gotten out of shape, having 2 kids, eating like shit, and not training as much will do that to you I suppose. I’m 6 feet and currently 195 lbs. When I’m in good shape I’m normally in the 175-180lbs range which is what I’d like to get back to.

With 2 kids and a wife who works nights I’m on a very set schedule. I will be waking up M-F at 5:15 am and be at the gym for 6:15 am. On M-W-F I will be training Muay thai & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. On Tue & Thurs I will be lifting and cardio.

I know how to clean up my diet and will be eating 6 meals a day. My goal is to shed fat and build muscle.

My biggest question surrounds the first meal of the day. Should I have a protein shake or something on my way to the gym? should I not have anything until after I train? I’m not sure what’s best for my goal.

Also even when I’m in good shape I always seem to store fat in the love handle region. I’ve seen some articles that hint it may be a result of insulin sensitivity. I saw the receptormax is supposed to help with this but its out of stock and also very expensive. Any other supps anyone suggests?

Appreciate the help.

Stan[/quote]
I just joined too, this place is freakin awesome!

I personally can’t lift until I have went 2 hours without eating, any sooner and it just doesn’t feel right. If I have went too long without eating, but need something, I do what the above guy said and mix some BCAA’s up with a light carb like some dextrose. I also do this in the middle of a “marathon” style workout (anything over an hour as far as I’m concerned)

I personally hate morning training due to this, just not enough time to eat. I lift WAY better after a few meals are under my belt. Unfortunately you don’t have this option so you have to do what you can. If I was in your shoes I would probably keep it liquid that soon before training or try to find a 24 hour gym and go when the wife gets home. You can always go empty to burn more fat but your pumps/lifts are going to suck. I wake up at 3am every morning to eat this meal above…I’m on a bulk though :slight_smile:

Thanks guys appreciate the answers. And I wish I could go at night to, but I’m also studying for finance designation.

I’m drinking a preworkout drink with bcaa’s & glutamine on my way to the gym 5:45am. Right after I finish I have a protein shake at about 7:30-8 am. Should I consider this shake breakfast and wait 2-3 hours befor eI eat or should I eat right away?

Losing fat and gaining muscle is very possible in your circumstance; however, it’d probably be better to focus your efforts prioritizing one over the other right now. It’s less discouraging and a simpler approach, both of which seem fitting given your tight schedule.

Jskrabac I see what your saying and agree.

Hoping someone can answer this for me:

I’m drinking a preworkout drink with bcaa’s & glutamine on my way to the gym 5:45am. Right after I finish I have a protein shake at about 7:30-8 am. Should I consider this shake breakfast and wait 2-3 hours befor eI eat or should I eat right away?

[quote]nuksookow wrote:
I’m drinking a preworkout drink with bcaa’s & glutamine on my way to the gym 5:45am. Right after I finish I have a protein shake at about 7:30-8 am. Should I consider this shake breakfast and wait 2-3 hours befor eI eat or should I eat right away? [/quote]
Consider it your first meal of the day but only wait 60-90 minutes to eat the second meal of whole food.