Getting Back After Cancer Treatment

First off congratulations. I have been diagnosed with Leukemia myself which has taken 1 male from each generation of my family that we know of and I’m number 4.
I was offered chemo and that has killed off my family (and acquaintances) so I am opting for diet instead. I have focused on Leviticus 11 and nowhere in there does it mention crap food and animal crackers. I have dropped it two stages doing this.
My weight training has suffered as I am fighting fatigue but being 59, I get it. I do think you have to push it and never stop. Again thanks for posting as you are an inspiration, one who is doing, instead of talking.

Thank you and good luck on your own journey. Stamina is still an issue that I have to deal with. Although, not so much in day to day life, I still have problems with sustained activities.

I’m going to step out of my lane here. Please reconsider not using traditional cancer treatments. Here’s an article you might want to consider reading Cancer 'Remedies' That Don't Work

Again, good luck to you.

An update. I’ve given up trying to gain my strength back in the squat and bench press. I have a bit of an excuse for the bench in that I hurt my shoulder in a motorcycle accident last year and it’s still not completely healed. Not sure why my squat won’t improve. Pre cancer my PR was 300; post cancer I struggle at 225. However, today I matched my pre cancer PR of 420 lbs in the deadlift (I do have proof, but the video won’t upload). I follow the 5-3-1 program. Last month my cycle ended with a 420 final rep. Rather than just matching my PR I decided to up it to 425. Not even close. Rather than try again on this cycle I opted to show some patience and go with the 420. Which is probably just as well, because I haven’t met my last set minimums on the 5 and 3 days for the last two cycles. I’ve been stuck at 4 (370 lbs) and 2 (395) reps respectively.

On the weight front I have settled in at just over 160 lbs. I had it up to over 165, but I lost a bit of weight after coming down with a 24 hr virus about 4 months ago. For some reason I haven’t been able to gain in back.

2 Likes

Checking in at the four year mark. Still getting at it. Here celebrating my son’s graduation with his sister at a local watering hole where the sell fruity tropical drinks in buckets.

5 Likes

Bambiwithhorns just posted about getting back to the gym after cancer treatment. His journey sounds very similar to mine. Sunday marks 5 years for me, the supposedly magic benchmark for my type of cancer. Make it this far and the chance of the cancer coming back is slim. Seems pretty arbitrary to me, but I’ll take it. Still hitting the gym 5 days a week, but I am no longer going heavy on the big 3. There are some other reasons, but the main being the loss of momentum after the gyms closed due to Covid. Anyway, my final, to hell with cancer strongman pose.
20220612_142208

7 Likes

Glad to see you still lurking around the forum.

1 Like