Getting Away with Frozen Veggies?

I’m trying to improve my diet and I’m going to start by adding vegetables to my diet. But I’m confused by something. Can I get away with buying frozen bags of mixed vegetables or should I buy them fresh and cook them myself? And how can I tell I’m getting enough of the right kinds?

Frozen’s fine as far as I’m concerned. They are frozen when they are harvested, so retain all their nutrients.

In 1998, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) confirmed that frozen fruits and vegetables provide the same essential nutrients and health benefits as fresh. It’s no wonder. Frozen fruits and vegetables are nothing more than fresh fruits and vegetables that have been blanched (cooked for a short time in boiling water or steamed) and frozen within hours of being picked. Further, frozen fruits and vegetables are processed at their peak in terms of freshness and nutrition.What’s not to like?

Not to completely hijack the thread, but what are people’s thoughts on V8? I’m notoriously bad at getting my veggies, and was thinking it could be an easy way for me to get some in on the go. But then I look at the relative health benefits of whole fruits vs fruit juice and it makes me wonder…

[quote]spadesofaces wrote:
Not to completely hijack the thread, but what are people’s thoughts on V8? I’m notoriously bad at getting my veggies, and was thinking it could be an easy way for me to get some in on the go. But then I look at the relative health benefits of whole fruits vs fruit juice and it makes me wonder…[/quote]

you get fucked over for the fiber but it’s pretty good post training in addition to a protein/BCAA/Creatine drink. Also has lots of sodium so it’s great for getting water back inot the guns if you will. drop some potassium caps with it for good measure id say.

In other news: frozen is just as good as fresh [and sometimes cheaper much to my FUCKING chagrin today at the food store, dicks].

veggies are veggies. dont let details return good actions into good ideas.

-chris

What about canned veggies? I know they have high sodium levels, but is it really that bad for you?

I would think that V8 is probably pasteurized which would do some damage to it’s value.

I was looking at the nutritional information on the bags of mixed vegetables and I was kindof surprised at how few vitamins and minerals there. Now I know why they say 5 servings a day. You don’t have any hope of getting all the crap you need in one.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
I was looking at the nutritional information on the bags of mixed vegetables and I was kindof surprised at how few vitamins and minerals there. Now I know why they say 5 servings a day. You don’t have any hope of getting all the crap you need in one.[/quote]

Yeah but the frozen ones are way better tasting in the winter when most produce [even mexican] is shit.

-chris

I buy mine from Costco. A five pound bag of organic green beans and a five pound bag of organic mix of green beans, carrots, peas and corn.

I will place about two cups of the green beans in a mixing bowl, add about one cup of the mixed, about a tablespoon of water, a small amount of salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some garlic powder and cook in the microwave until hot but still crispy.

Christopher

Frozen Veggies are the way to go. Quick, Easy and cheaper than fresh. Also I really think with the freezing techniques, nothing is ruined in them. Every time I go to the store I buy several bags of frozen broccoli, several bags of cut green beans, and about 10 packages of frozen spinach. Seriously, boil a big bag of fresh spinach and see what you get when you drain it and put it in a bowl,then take one frozen brick of spinach and microwave it or boil it till it’s warm and see which one you get more out of.

A bowl of spinach with some apple cider vinegar in it is a great side to many meat dishes, and it takes about 2 minutes from grabbing it out of the freezer till it’s in your bowl ready to eat. Oh it’s also awsome for you as well.

V8 in my opinion is great stuff, if you buy low sodium V8 and drink it in the place of fruit juice, you will be making a great step in controlling your blood sugar and insulin. I mean it’s not perfect, but it’s far better than any fruit juice and obviously kills soda and other soft drinks.

V

I am not sure but the frozen ones MIGHT, in many cases, be better than so-called fresh, if they-the frozen ones- are picked when they are ripe (as opposed to many “fresh” fruits and vegetables that are picked still green).

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I am not sure but the frozen ones MIGHT, in many cases, be better than so-called fresh, if they-the frozen ones- are picked when they are ripe (as opposed to many “fresh” fruits and vegetables that are picked still green).[/quote]

I concur.

Christopher

When you thaw them, try to do it in a pot on the stove rather than a microwave.

why?

frozen is fine. often will be fresher than “fresh” veggies.

does the protien in chicken disapeer when its frozen?

Yeah I like to thaw my frozen fruit in warm water rather than the microwave. Awhile ago I read that the microwaving process can destroy the flavinoids in fresh fruit and vegetables and also heat breaks down enzymes so that’s why I like to gently thaw them.

Personally i like it as fresh as can be… that way i’m almost 100% sure of what i’m craming in my pie hole…

I grow some of my own vegies and those i don’t i get from a farmers market or a small fresh food shop nearby.

I don’t trust the two biggest food chains here in Australia, due to “ethical differences” in food management.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
When you thaw them, try to do it in a pot on the stove rather than a microwave. [/quote]

I agree that in a pot on the stove or thawing by placing container in warm water is better. And when I cook for more than one person that is what I do. And there are times I will do just for me. However, I prefer mine crunchy and the mixing bowl I use is large enough where it does not take very long in the microwave to prepare.

Christopher