T Nation

Getting Away from Powerlifting, Help?

I’ve been powerlifting for about 2 years now. For many reasons, my life and goals have changed. I’ve thought about it extensively and decided to get away from powerlifting and adopt more of a bodybuilding type approach to lifting. I’m looking for some advice and answers to questions as I have some things I’m unsure about since my background is quite different.

Essentially I have 6 days a week, 5 of those days I have 30-40 minutes twice a day (although I don’t think I will need twice a day for quite some time, or that it would be a good idea to do that for very long), and the other day I have as long as I need. I’m figuring on developing a 6 day bodypart split, which advice would be welcome on. Saturday, a day in which I am not as restrained on time, I would probably do legs.

I’m unsure how to track progression, and volume, and things like that. Do bodybuilders ever deload? How much is too much, and how much is not enough when it comes to volume? I figured per bodypart I would do 3-4 excercises for 4-5 sets each. To me it seems that the logical approach is just to go in and hammer a muscle group until it’s fatigued and I don’t feel like I can do much more.

What about rest time between sets, I would think very short rest periods between sets would be good for getting the muscle fatigued much more. I’m so used to having prescribed weights and sets and percentages that I feel uncertain if just going until it feels right is effective, or if there should be a planned progression and weight to the whole thing.

it sounds like you pretty much know what you’re doing.

as for volume, 3-5 sets of 3-5 exercises per bodypart is usual fare. Coming from a powerlifting background you’ll probably need to give a bit more attention to things like rear delts and calves, but I’m sure you’ll be grand.

Why not try 5/3/1 with the BBB template? That’d be a nice happy medium between the powerlifting work you’re used to and a bodybuilding routine? Just a thought. You could add an extra day for more kinda vanity stuff (arms, rear delts etc) seeing as you have so many days a week where you can train.

Bump, I’m also curious. Especially about the progression part of bodybuilding.

Powerlifter too, here.

I have periods of time during which I focus exclusively on bodybuilding, usually between May-August. The rest of the year is mostly a middle between powerlifting and bodybuilding, and rarely do I focus on powerlifting on its own (by using something like Sheiko).

rds63799’s suggestion sounds great and is also what I do for most of the year.

Nothing wrong with using a different focus if you’re feeling frustrated or simply lost your appetite for training heavy for a while. Go bodybuild and enjoy it until your motivation returns.

Some insight from Stu on progression: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/2011_updates?id=4327277&pageNo=43#5403162