T Nation

Getting Around Oatmeal/Cottage cheese?

Is there any way to bulk without these two food sources? I’m a pansy, yes, but the only way I can eat oatmeal is with sugar (spiking insulin, not sure if that’s terrible, especially am) and cottage cheese is something I could be tortured with. Ideas on substitutes?

Seriously - you can’t do oatmeal with yogurt? Don’t cook it before hand, just toss it in there! You can always look to potatoes, yams, maybe even some good multigrain bread, but it’s hard to get your carb numbers up high without oats…at least that’s what I find.
As for cottage cheese, I really can’t think of a replacement other than all the other protein sources we usually exploit…but it’s just so damn cheap and handy! Have you ever tried blending it into stuff? I know there was a huge Grow! shake recipe thread, and I’m sure a few of them might have included cottage cheese. You can even try mixing Grow! (LC ) with the oats, it’s not a bad combo. Just experiment to see if there’s any way to dilute the cottage cheese enough to make it edible for you.
I just had 1 c of CC mixed with 1 c of oats…I was desperate for some food quick…and it was the worst thing I’ve ever eaten… lol

I know what you mean, eating these plain is awful, but, try adding some protein powder to the oatmeal, and maybe some yogurt to the cottage cheese, i find these are not only great for bodybuilding, but taste great also.

Add 2 bananas to the oatmeal just before you finish cooking it, or after its cooked. Then mix some protein powder with your milk, and it will taste good (or at least ok for you freaks)

Cottage cheese… well its a bitch but no worse than your last set of pullups right?

Steel cut oats plus Grow! equals oatmeal goodness. Really.

I’m pretty certain Quaker Oats are made from cardboard and there is nothing short of adding sugar and butter that can make them palatable (and even that is debatable). Steel cut oats are actually tolerable plain (I mean as tolerable as plain rice), and with some Grow! it tastes great. The bannana idea isn’t bad either. You could just add some berries or sliced bannanas or something to the oats too and they’ll be fine.

My fav brekkie: 1 1/2 cups of whole oats. 1 cup of vanilla yoghurt. A handful of frozen mixed berries and maybe some sliced peaches or kiwifruit. A teaspoon of flax and a scoop of whey powder and I’m lovin it. If you wanted to put some cottage cheese in there I’m sure you wouldn’t taste it.

i dono if this is good… but i just have cottage cheese with yoghurt and fruits mixed up. tastes great…

as for oatmeal i just eat it… nothing to make it better

Grow! makes everything better. Seriously, 2 scoops of Low-Carb Grow! (Chocolate is my fav) will make your oatmeal a treat. I can even get my 7 year old to eat chocolate oatmeal. I’d second all of the CC + fruit suggestions. Mix it with your favorite (pineapple) fruit just before eating (I like it less when stored together). I also mix CC & oatmeal (+ homemade applesauce) with cinnamon and a scoop of Grow (Vanilla). It tastes like apple crisp.

No, you don’t have to eat those two food sources. I’ve done quite well without oatmeal in my diet. In fact, I’ve only recently used it again for variety. However, I do eat cottage cheese on a daily basis, but you can find plenty of other things to eat.

Remember, your protein can come from a variety of sources:

Beef
Chicken
Fish
Canned tuna
Protein shakes
Eggs
Milk, yogurt, cheese

You can get plenty of carbs from:

Sweet potatoes
Regular potatoes
Whole wheat bread
Brown rice
Whole wheat pasta
Beans, legumes
All other veggie sources
Fruit, etc.

So mix it up!

I’m not sure if Phill recommended this recipe before, but either way it’s awesome so it deserved to be known by everyone.

1/2 Cup Oatmeal (I prefer steel cut for this recipe, although both is very good)
1/2 Cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1/2 Scoop LC Grow (chocolate)
Cinamon - as much as you want.
If you’re bulking you can mix around porportions. I actually used this meal while cutting and it worked very well. Mix all this together, you might need to add some water or milk to make sure all the grow gets mixed up.

This recipe is delicious. Everyone should try it.

I definitely agree that putting Grow! into your oatmeal makes it amazing. The stuff disappears in no time. But there is another way to make it taste good, and you get more variety: Put your uncooked oats and water/milk in bowl and take a cinnamon stick and break it into smaller pieces. Put them in the uncooked oats and put it in the microwave. When, cooked, your oatmeal taste all cinnamony-good. A trick that I use when combining oatmeal and cottage cheese is cooking my oatmeal the night before I eat it and then putting grapes and cinnamon sticks in the oatmeal, covering it, and letting it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning, your oatmeal absorbs all the flavor and it tastes damn good
Just my 2 cents

[quote]infin|ty wrote:
Is there any way to bulk without these two food sources? I’m a pansy, yes, but the only way I can eat oatmeal is with sugar (spiking insulin, not sure if that’s terrible, especially am) and cottage cheese is something I could be tortured with. Ideas on substitutes?[/quote]

Add sugar-free syrup to your cottage cheese. I used to hate cottage cheese until my friend turned me on to this. I put so much and it is sooooo sweet but you can add a little just to give it a decent taste.

Good Morning… If I may wade in. I have to agree with NateDogg here, lots of different stuff you can eat. I am eating my second meal of the day now, approx. 10am. I realize that cottage cheese seems to be mostly used by others as an ‘overnight’ protein source. I mix it with a can of salmon(about 1C) with a flax bagel for my second meal of the day.
The first time I did this in the office, just after oppening the can of salmon, my boss walked by and commented ‘what is that great smell’? I told’em… They are somewhat used to the various concoctions I consume(My ‘body in a bucket’(read MRP), gets’em everytime).
There was a link posted in another thread with info regarding mercury levels in consumer products. This is applicable to this thread in that Tuna was posted on the list. I used to eat 1 can of tuna a day, either mixed with CC or yogourt. When I put that into the table listed, I found that I was apparently putting 790% of the limits of mercury into my body a week. 1 can per week was ok. Salmon, on the other hand, was of apparently minimal risk with no mercury found.
Hope this helps…
Peace.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
No, you don’t have to eat those two food sources. I’ve done quite well without oatmeal in my diet. In fact, I’ve only recently used it again for variety. However, I do eat cottage cheese on a daily basis, but you can find plenty of other things to eat.

Remember, your protein can come from a variety of sources![/quote]

I agree with this post. I never eat oatmeal or cottage cheese and it shouldn’t be laid across as if anyone NEEDS to eat these two items to “bulk” or gain weight. Why would you force yourself to eat crap you clearly can’t stand as if there were no alternatives? Since when has oatmeal and cottage cheese become such a bodybuilding standard that no one can make great gains without them?

A half-cup of non-fat cottage cheese tossed into the blender can turn your usual protein drink into a thick, creamy shake that rivals the ice cream variety.

But let’s also not forget that we’re supposed to be hardcore people here, okay? It’s not very hardcore to whine about eating cottage cheese.

[quote]CDarklock wrote:
It’s not very hardcore to whine about eating cottage cheese.
[/quote]

Could I ask you why anyone would need to eat cottage cheese? I can add a scoop of whey protein to a Lean Body meal replacement and that comes to about 65gr of protein. What is cottage cheese providing that I am missing in my diet?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CDarklock wrote:
It’s not very hardcore to whine about eating cottage cheese.

Could I ask you why anyone would need to eat cottage cheese? I can add a scoop of whey protein to a Lean Body meal replacement and that comes to about 65gr of protein. What is cottage cheese providing that I am missing in my diet?[/quote]
not a thing… if you wish to get all your nutrients from MRP’s and other drinks. Too many of the diets listed have made it clear, at least to me, that using real food to get the bulk of your nutrients and using protein powders or MRP’s as supplements is preferable.
I already use 2 protein shakes a day(1 post workout and another before bed) and a MRP at lunch. Not saying that I have found some majical combination for intense growth, but it seems to work for me. It may not be the most taste tempting menu in the world, but it seems to work for me.

[quote]mowgli1959 wrote:
I mix it with a can of salmon(about 1C) with a flax bagel for my second meal of the day.
[/quote]

This is too weird - this is one of favorite snacks…I skip the bagel and eat veggies tho…

As far as breakfast goes I generally eat about a cup of rolled oats, tbls peanut butter, scoop of grow and a banana. Just add cold water to this and eat it. I don’t even cook the oats and it goes down just fine.

start with a base of oatmeal.

Then a layer of rasberries.

Top with a layer of Grow!.

OHMYGOD!!!

This is so good that I ate it four times a day last summer. Until I reach the burnout stage.

I just started eating it again. It’s a treat.

I want some now!!!

I must be some sort of freak. Plain old 100% rolled quaker oats with water 90 seconds in the microwave and I’m a happy camper. The one time I mixed in Grow! it was a paste that I had to force myself to eat.

For some reason plain old oats are actually kind of tasty to me. That could be dedication or purpose.

I won’t brave cottage cheese though. I can’t stand normal cheese straight so I don’t think I’d even want to touch cottage cheese.

Thankfully there’s plenty of handmade 1/2 pound hamburger joints within walking distance. Plus that canned Salmon is pretty decent.