Getting an MRI

As several of you know I have a shoulder problem that has been bugging me for some time. I had an x ray and there was nothing wrong with the bones. My doctor thinks I have a tear in part of my delt. Do you guys know if I do have a tear can I still do upper body pulls, can I deadlift? My options are getting smaller and smaller.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
As several of you know I have a shoulder problem that has been bugging me for some time. I had an x ray and there was nothing wrong with the bones. My doctor thinks I have a tear in part of my delt. Do you guys know if I do have a tear can I still do upper body pulls, can I deadlift? My options are getting smaller and smaller.[/quote]

I have a torn labrum and do heavy deadlifts. I think you should be okay, but the only thing that makes me think be careful is your age. You’re 15-16 as I recall, so taking it easy is your ebst option now.

I’ve suffered a lot of injuries from 133-44 and I’m still lifting. Be careful, you have plenty of time.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
As several of you know I have a shoulder problem that has been bugging me for some time. I had an x ray and there was nothing wrong with the bones. My doctor thinks I have a tear in part of my delt. Do you guys know if I do have a tear can I still do upper body pulls, can I deadlift? My options are getting smaller and smaller.

I have a torn labrum and do heavy deadlifts. I think you should be okay, but the only thing that makes me think be careful is your age. You’re 15-16 as I recall, so taking it easy is your ebst option now.

I’ve suffered a lot of injuries from 133-44 and I’m still lifting. Be careful, you have plenty of time.
[/quote]

thanks for the advice.

Do you think upper body pulls, ala pulldowns, and rows are ok? Will this vary depending on what part of the delt I tore? If I can’t do the coan DL cycle I’ll probably do smolov. Lifting 4 days a week will keep my mind occupied so I don’t dwell on the bullshit. I’m fairly sure the messed up part is the anterior deltoid. I want nothing more right now then to be able to maintain my gym intensity.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
tom63 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

thanks for the advice.

I did pulldowns about twice in the last three years. Pulldowns and chins have some internal rotation of the humerus, which can increase impingment if it is present. Stick with rows, bar and dumbells. Hold that shoulder in tight, don’t let them traction downwards where you will stress the labrum and shoulder capsule.

Band pull aparts are also fine. You can get a lot of variations from these exercises. There are also seated dumbell power cleans, dumbell rear delts, bent over.

Do you think upper body pulls, ala pulldowns, and rows are ok? Will this vary depending on what part of the delt I tore? If I can’t do the coan DL cycle I’ll probably do smolov. Lifting 4 days a week will keep my mind occupied so I don’t dwell on the bullshit. I’m fairly sure the messed up part is the anterior deltoid. I want nothing more right now then to be able to maintain my gym intensity.[/quote]

[quote]tom63 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
tom63 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

thanks for the advice.

I did pulldowns about twice in the last three years. Pulldowns and chins have some internal rotation of the humerus, which can increase impingment if it is present. Stick with rows, bar and dumbells. Hold that shoulder in tight, don’t let them traction downwards where you will stress the labrum and shoulder capsule.

Band pull aparts are also fine. You can get a lot of variations from these exercises. There are also seated dumbell power cleans, dumbell rear delts, bent over.

Do you think upper body pulls, ala pulldowns, and rows are ok? Will this vary depending on what part of the delt I tore? If I can’t do the coan DL cycle I’ll probably do smolov. Lifting 4 days a week will keep my mind occupied so I don’t dwell on the bullshit. I’m fairly sure the messed up part is the anterior deltoid. I want nothing more right now then to be able to maintain my gym intensity.

[/quote]

Wow, good insight, thanks a ton.