Getting a Trainer Job w/ Just ACE Cert?

I’m considering just taking the test on a whim, I took the online practice test and passed it easily and there’s one coming up around where I live, and I hate my job. Most gyms I’ve looked at say they hire ACE certified trainers but when I looked at their staffs business cards none of them were just ACE certified. Any thoughts? I know there’s more to it then that but just based on this info what do you guys think.

Also this is my first post here but I’ve lurked forever, and I hate PTs as much as the rest of you but why not do something about it you know?

Seems like a foot in the door. If you want to work in the field while getting an advanced cert, why not?

its the generic one most gyms accept. if you only want the hourly job at a regular gym you’ll be fine with it. I personally think NSCA-CPT looks and sounds better. lol

ace if you working for a gym

nsca or acsm if you wanna work for yourself imo.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
its the generic one most gyms accept. if you only want the hourly job at a regular gym you’ll be fine with it. I personally think NSCA-CPT looks and sounds better. lol

nsca or acsm if you wanna work for yourself imo.[/quote]

Cool that’s what I was hoping for to be honest, If I like it and feel like I’m good at it I’d like to continue on and try to get more/more advanced certifications but I honestly just want a job that will get me out of working midnights in a factory at $9 an hour, I’ll figure out the rest later. Thanks for the input guys

ACE will get you a job in just about any facility. Not all, bust the vast majority.

Be prepared to study up on the legal side of things.

[quote]wward wrote:

Cool that’s what I was hoping for to be honest, If I like it and feel like I’m good at it I’d like to continue on and try to get more/more advanced certifications but I honestly just want a job that will get me out of working midnights in a factory at $9 an hour, I’ll figure out the rest later. Thanks for the input guys[/quote]

midnights? factory? 9 an hour? …FUCK THAT!

Good luck bro.

[quote]wward wrote:

Cool that’s what I was hoping for to be honest, If I like it and feel like I’m good at it I’d like to continue on and try to get more/more advanced certifications but I honestly just want a job that will get me out of working midnights in a factory at $9 an hour, I’ll figure out the rest later. Thanks for the input guys[/quote]

I understand you, this is the thing I hate the most about life. I took another path to get away forever from that, it is being cheap

I will never ever work at a goddamn factory or in a kitchen in my whole fucking life do you understand world?

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[quote]wward wrote:

I understand you, this is the thing I hate the most about life. I took another path to get away forever from that, it is being cheap

I will never ever work at a goddamn factory or in a kitchen in my whole fucking life do you understand world? [/quote]

lol more power to you, I’m hoping in about 3 weeks I’ll be able to say the same thing. I thought it’d be cool cuz I’d have all day to train/go to class/whatever (I fight MMA so it’s nice to have the freedom) but it’s just not worth it.

How’d you break out though man? It seems like once you do a job like this for more than a couple months you end up working it for life, there’s people on my shift who’ve worked the same position for close to ten years without advancing and I can’t let that be me

wward

Your not alone bro. Ive been working the night shift at Fedex loading the trucks for 6 months now. Doing this kind of work can make lifting weights a mental battle. Just seems like your lower back never heals after doing squats and deads.

But I recently got certified by the NSCA and havent had any luck switching careers. Soon enough it will happen.

[quote]wward wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[quote]wward wrote:

I will never ever work at a goddamn factory or in a kitchen in my whole fucking life do you understand world? [/quote]

lol more power to you, I’m hoping in about 3 weeks I’ll be able to say the same thing. I thought it’d be cool cuz I’d have all day to train/go to class/whatever (I fight MMA so it’s nice to have the freedom) but it’s just not worth it.

How’d you break out though man? It seems like once you do a job like this for more than a couple months you end up working it for life, there’s people on my shift who’ve worked the same position for close to ten years without advancing and I can’t let that be me
[/quote]

those jobs are really a dead end. You would be better off doing anything else constructive. Dont waste a minute. If you can go back with your parent do it right now. In the end it is how you want your life to be, you are the architect of your life. Some people are okay doing those kind of jobs, doing their hours and going back home to watch tv but me I just cant stand it. Cmon, I can do better than that with my life

I had a couple of crappy job, it was only to fill time during the summer or stuff like that. I realised that I would rather have no money, live with nothing and dont do this stuff.

Now during the summer what I do is I buy the books of the class I will take and I do the stuff in advance. I try to be productive and find something that is worth doing all the time. Of course finding something to do is really hard and it is a problem that is never solved. If you can live with less you would better do your own project than expecting someone to give you a job that will fill your life. Remember that in life if someone do something for you, give you something or try to help you deep down it is always in their own interest. You are all alone.

It is funny that this post happens now because right now because I almost finished my class, all my energy was into that. I just took like 5 hour of laziness just contemplating nothingness and this evening or tommorrow morning I will start trying to make things happen again. It almost never works but what can you do. You cant get away from life.

Now I am in the process of finding something else to ‘‘achieve’’ (like if it made any difference anyway.) I got 5 days before my last exam, I will study 35+ hours for sure starting tommorrow or maybe in a hour. It’s overkill but it works wonder. I dont want to brag but lately my grades have been ridiculous. Now after this I have 1 month of ‘‘vacations’’. I have a book of one of my next class and I plan to completely assimilate it.But I cant do only that and lifting so I will have to find something else. I probably wont find something worth doing in this bunch of nothingness. There is my house, winter and a bunch of highways around me.

lol
Also I tried to pass the ACE cert, I went through the book but only to find out that there wasnt any exam 500km around me. I studied there bullshit for like 60hours for nothing. It still pisses me off. I have been trying to sell the book for a couple of months. If you PM me I can sell it to you very very cheap, a special T-Nation friendly price

I feel you on all of that, I was never content just going to school or just working, that’s part of the reason I got into lifting (and later MMA) to have that achievement. Like TC said in his article to day men are happy accomplishing things or learning something new. But shit you should take a weekend off and road trip to that exam man, it’s worth it.
I already got the book though, but I appreciate the offer.

Update: I’m signed up for the test the 23rd, and I’m real encouraged by your guys input. I’m really tempted to just quit that factory job now, I’ve got enough money for about 6 weeks or so, anyone know how hard it is to find training jobs at gyms? I’m in SE Michigan if that helps.

Thanks for the advice/enoucragement

[quote]wward wrote:
I feel you on all of that, I was never content just going to school or just working, that’s part of the reason I got into lifting (and later MMA) to have that achievement. Like TC said in his article to day men are happy accomplishing things or learning something new. But shit you should take a weekend off and road trip to that exam man, it’s worth it.
I already got the book though, but I appreciate the offer.

Update: I’m signed up for the test the 23rd, and I’m real encouraged by your guys input. I’m really tempted to just quit that factory job now, I’ve got enough money for about 6 weeks or so, anyone know how hard it is to find training jobs at gyms? I’m in SE Michigan if that helps.

Thanks for the advice/enoucragement[/quote]

I wouldnt quit your job yet. From my experience gyms are always willing to hire new talent. That doesnt mean much though, so don’t burn your bridge now. Where are you exactly? near Toledo? That superfitness is a choice over on telegraph, i’m sure they need new trainers.