T Nation

Getting a New Cell Phone (Verizon)

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:

I too used to hate texting, until I realized it was a great way to avoid having a conversation with someone when I only wanted to say one thing.[/quote]

Yeah, idle chit chat being done away with is a plus.

“I’ll be right there” requires no further conversation.

“I’m not wearing panties” also requires more action and less talk.

Now that I think of it, I am all for less talk and more action so maybe I should be more “pro-texting”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
threewhitelights wrote:

I too used to hate texting, until I realized it was a great way to avoid having a conversation with someone when I only wanted to say one thing.

Yeah, idle chit chat being done away with is a plus.

“I’ll be right there” requires no further conversation.

“I’m not wearing panties” also requires more action and less talk.

Now that I think of it, I am all for less talk and more action so maybe I should be more “pro-texting”.[/quote]

This is pretty much how I am. I don’t really like talking on the phone and most of the time, when people are trying to contact me, not much else needs to be said or I’m just answering a simple question.

“When are we meeting for the movie?”

“8:00”

“Where”

“In front of the fucking theater.”

I appreciate all the suggestions so far folks.

I think I’m going to go with the Curve. I’m hearing a lot of negatives with the Storm, so I’m not sold on that yet.

The Samsung phones I mentioned earlier were both Windows Mobile based, so those are both clearly out of the picture at this point.

My contract is up with Verizon, so switching to get the iPhone is a possibility, but the AT&T doesn’t have as good coverage here. I’ve had bad experience with them in the past, which was why I switched to Verizon in the first place.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I appreciate all the suggestions so far folks.

I think I’m going to go with the Curve. I’m hearing a lot of negatives with the Storm, so I’m not sold on that yet.

The Samsung phones I mentioned earlier were both Windows Mobile based, so those are both clearly out of the picture at this point.

My contract is up with Verizon, so switching to get the iPhone is a possibility, but the AT&T doesn’t have as good coverage here. I’ve had bad experience with them in the past, which was why I switched to Verizon in the first place.[/quote]

What about getting it prepaid?

My suggestion is go play with those phones and see what you think - I’ve mentioned before that I am not a fan of Apple but this phone is awesome. Everybody is copying them - think about that.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
I appreciate all the suggestions so far folks.

I think I’m going to go with the Curve. I’m hearing a lot of negatives with the Storm, so I’m not sold on that yet.

The Samsung phones I mentioned earlier were both Windows Mobile based, so those are both clearly out of the picture at this point.

My contract is up with Verizon, so switching to get the iPhone is a possibility, but the AT&T doesn’t have as good coverage here. I’ve had bad experience with them in the past, which was why I switched to Verizon in the first place.

What about getting it prepaid?

My suggestion is go play with those phones and see what you think - I’ve mentioned before that I am not a fan of Apple but this phone is awesome. Everybody is copying them - think about that.[/quote]

I have a friend who has the iPhone and he doesn’t like it very much.
Yesterday it froze up on him and he needed to call his provider and they showed him how to reset the phone. If it still doesn’t work they will send him a new one. He asked if they would send him a blackberry instead because he despises his iPhone so much.

[quote]jchenky wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
I appreciate all the suggestions so far folks.

I think I’m going to go with the Curve. I’m hearing a lot of negatives with the Storm, so I’m not sold on that yet.

The Samsung phones I mentioned earlier were both Windows Mobile based, so those are both clearly out of the picture at this point.

My contract is up with Verizon, so switching to get the iPhone is a possibility, but the AT&T doesn’t have as good coverage here. I’ve had bad experience with them in the past, which was why I switched to Verizon in the first place.

What about getting it prepaid?

My suggestion is go play with those phones and see what you think - I’ve mentioned before that I am not a fan of Apple but this phone is awesome. Everybody is copying them - think about that.

I have a friend who has the iPhone and he doesn’t like it very much.
Yesterday it froze up on him and he needed to call his provider and they showed him how to reset the phone. If it still doesn’t work they will send him a new one. He asked if they would send him a blackberry instead because he despises his iPhone so much.

[/quote]

I’ve played with all of them a bit. I like the iPhone, but I’m still leaning toward the Curve since it’s a little more similar in form and functionality to the Treo I’m moving from.

I was mainly looking for some user experiences with the various phones since I haven’t shopped for them in a while and didn’t want to get caught by any gotchas these phones may have.

[quote]jchenky wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
I appreciate all the suggestions so far folks.

I think I’m going to go with the Curve. I’m hearing a lot of negatives with the Storm, so I’m not sold on that yet.

The Samsung phones I mentioned earlier were both Windows Mobile based, so those are both clearly out of the picture at this point.

My contract is up with Verizon, so switching to get the iPhone is a possibility, but the AT&T doesn’t have as good coverage here. I’ve had bad experience with them in the past, which was why I switched to Verizon in the first place.

What about getting it prepaid?

My suggestion is go play with those phones and see what you think - I’ve mentioned before that I am not a fan of Apple but this phone is awesome. Everybody is copying them - think about that.

I have a friend who has the iPhone and he doesn’t like it very much.
Yesterday it froze up on him and he needed to call his provider and they showed him how to reset the phone. If it still doesn’t work they will send him a new one. He asked if they would send him a blackberry instead because he despises his iPhone so much.

[/quote]

I’ve played with all of them a bit. I like the iPhone, but I’m still leaning toward the Curve since it’s a little more similar in form and functionality to the Treo I’m moving from.

I was mainly looking for some user experiences with the various phones since I haven’t shopped for them in a while and didn’t want to get caught by any gotchas these phones may have.

I have the BB Curve 8330 and have no regrets on purchasing it. A few things to note. 1) Be aware you will have to purchase a data plan for this phone. I’m sure it has been mentioned or you may have even known. 2) Occasionally when adding new contacts the phone freezes up, not sure if that’s just my phone, though. 3) There are plenty of websites with free applications/games/ring tones that make the Curve’s functionality almost limitless for no cost. It took me a good week to get used to all the features and have heard the same from many other users. I highly recommend the Curve.

I just picked up an LG Lotus, Its wicked man!

Its loaded

The Storm sucks. I talked to a RIM (har har har) engineer at a job fair who laughed when I asked if I could get a Bold instead of a Storm if I were an employee. She admitted that she didn’t like the Storm, either. From their own people!

Since you want MORE than basic-phone functionality, and you’re on Verzion, I highly recommend a blackberry Curve.

It’s probably the best and most reliable multi-function phone on Verizon at the moment.

And don’t knock the Razr…not because I still have one, but because it is the best selling phone of all time. Something like 1 BILLION Razrs have shipped. Crazy, huh?

For what it’s worth, I think the Palm Pre (Sprint, though) will actually truly challenge the iPhone in GUI and app dev platform. The G1 is also a fantastic phone but the physical properties of it aren’t solid if you ask me…

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
For what it’s worth, I think the Palm Pre (Sprint, though) will actually truly challenge the iPhone in GUI and app dev platform. The G1 is also a fantastic phone but the physical properties of it aren’t solid if you ask me…[/quote]

If they put the Google OS onto an HTC-HD (instead of Windows Mobile), then I think HTC would have a really good phone on their hands.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:
For what it’s worth, I think the Palm Pre (Sprint, though) will actually truly challenge the iPhone in GUI and app dev platform. The G1 is also a fantastic phone but the physical properties of it aren’t solid if you ask me…

If they put the Google OS onto an HTC-HD (instead of Windows Mobile), then I think HTC would have a really good phone on their hands.[/quote]

I’m glad we think the same.

Sadly, fucking telecom and fucking politics…

I also think the T-Mobile Sidekick form factor with Android would be interesting. Give it a higher res screen.

I don’t know who the fuck is in charge of some products’ designs. The G-1 should NOT have had those keys so recessed. They have to mimic the tactile feedback of the Blackberry 7200 series (I think that’s the one…large and fat) and should’ve used hard plastic keys. I really love design and thinking about some of these things. I need to find a way to do it professionally or at least get my foot in the door.