Getting a New Cell Phone (Verizon)

Hey Guys,

I know there are a million threads about this stuff a month, but I was hoping to get some user opinions and experiences with some of the newer phones out there.

I’m a Verizon customer and currently have a Treo 700p that’s about to die its last death. I’ll need to get a new phone soon, so I was at the Verizon store and checking out new stuff available. My main options seem to be between the Blackberry Storm and Curve. I like the Curve in that it’s pretty similar to the Palm as far as features and UI.

The Storm seems pretty slick, but it also seemed a little slow to use at times and I’ve heard there were problems with the phone already.

They also have some Windows based phones by Samsung that seemed cool, but I’m not sure I liked the UI on those as much.

Since I’m on Verizon, obviously phones like the iPhone and new Google phone are not an option for me.

I mainly need a phone for calls, texting, tasks/notes, keeping track of my calendar/appointments, email and occasionally looking things up on the web (weather, directions, movie times, etc). I’m not someone that’s always surfing the web on my phone, but it’s nice to have the option to do shit like update my Facebook status or stuff like that.

At the same time, I’d like to get something that isn’t going to look dated in a year or two.

Anyway, please feel free to chime in with your thoughts or opinions about these phones or any other smartphone that Verizon has available.

Thanks.

I still have a Razor :frowning:

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I still have a Razor :([/quote]

haha…I remember when that was the phone. Just about everyone I knew had one, except me. I was the oddball that had an old ass Samsung phone at the time.

whatever phone you get, do NOT i repeat do NOT get a windows mobile phone. Ill leave it at that. Horribly unreliable and prone to freezing and viruses.

I have a Curve and it’s really good. I’ve heard a lot of bad things from my friends about the Storm.

Hey buddy, this should help you out…

Looks like the post was updated a few days ago…

While I was on verizon, I was using LG-VX9800. I didn’t really like any of the verizon phones so I switched to T-mobile and got the Iphone.

I have this bad boy enV (for Victory) and it’s a pretty OG phone. You can flip it and text with your thumbs and shit, you know, to look important. You can flip it and talk on speaker, you know, for when you’re driving or skydiving or giving birth and such.

It has a nice shape and curvature of the buttons that I enjoy tracing with my fingers while it’s in my pocket. It can be on for like a week without needing a recharge.

It does call people on its own if you keep it in your front pocket or something, but that’s okay. They’ll get over it.

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
I have a Curve and it’s really good. I’ve heard a lot of bad things from my friends about the Storm. [/quote]

x2 except i have the pearl.

I’ve had issues, but nothing serious. Heard bad things about the storm also (or whichever one is the touch screen crackberry.) And when I used one it was ULTRA slow and unresponsive. The pearl may slow down and freeze up a bit now and again, but nothing like the TURTLE storm.

My buddy works for V and told me to wait for the next gen crackberry before i upgrade from the Pearl. Just plain old too many issues. (Or just get the giant old school one.)

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
JonBlood wrote:
I have a Curve and it’s really good. I’ve heard a lot of bad things from my friends about the Storm.

x2 except i have the pearl.

I’ve had issues, but nothing serious. Heard bad things about the storm also (or whichever one is the touch screen crackberry.) And when I used one it was ULTRA slow and unresponsive. The pearl may slow down and freeze up a bit now and again, but nothing like the TURTLE storm.

My buddy works for V and told me to wait for the next gen crackberry before i upgrade from the Pearl. Just plain old too many issues. (Or just get the giant old school one.)[/quote]

I wanted a Pearl, but my office won’t buy the RIM software. Before I got the iPhone, I had a Razor that frequently puked out its battery. I’d be talking, jostle it wrong, and the battery would fall off.

I have no valuable input for this thread.

I have the Juke…Now THAT is one ghetto assed phone. Terrible…

iPhone. Oh they don’t have it? You’re Vader damnit! Make it happen.

[quote]Split wrote:
whatever phone you get, do NOT i repeat do NOT get a windows mobile phone. Ill leave it at that. Horribly unreliable and prone to freezing and viruses.[/quote]

Have to agree - never again.

Are you still in contract with Verizon, or is there a possiblity of a switch?

Honestly, iPhone is my first choice - but if you are limited I hear good things about the Curve.

I have a Curve and its a good phone. The camera on mine is kinda moody, the zoom works when it wants to. Overall a good phone, texting is easy with the QWERTY keyboard. I have debated on getting a storm but am still not sure.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
I have the Juke…Now THAT is one ghetto assed phone. Terrible…[/quote]

That’s what I have and I like it. I don’t talk on the phone much and never text though. Good MP3 player and it’s small.

Nice if the two for one BB sale is still on and you can use it do it, great deal if your going to pay for data anyway. I’ve got one of the less expensive BB, not the pearl but the other one theyre selling now. anyway I love it, Stream online music anywhere, e-mail, browsing, look at data on the phone. They are awesome.

EDIT: Yea the one I have is the curve

My phone is so cheap it doesn’t even take pictures…or phone calls half the time. I need a new one, but I can’t bring myself to spring for one of these 3g phones when all it is good for is random web surfing. I HATE texting, but unfortunately everyone I know seems to fucking love it. I need a damn keyboard just to keep up with these essays people keep writing.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
I have the Juke…Now THAT is one ghetto assed phone. Terrible…

That’s what I have and I like it. I don’t talk on the phone much and never text though. Good MP3 player and it’s small.[/quote]

Yeah I must admit I do like the fact it’s small. Plus it keeps a charge for a week which is good.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
My phone is so cheap it doesn’t even take pictures…or phone calls half the time. I need a new one, but I can’t bring myself to spring for one of these 3g phones when all it is good for is random web surfing. I HATE texting, but unfortunately everyone I know seems to fucking love it. I need a damn keyboard just to keep up with these essays people keep writing.[/quote]

Give in and get yourself a texting phone. I’ve got an Alias from Samsung. Nothing fancy, but it’s really reliable, great batter life, and it opens 2 directions, one for a regular phone, one for texting. Got it for free with a renewal, after some hustling of course.

I too used to hate texting, until I realized it was a great way to avoid having a conversation with someone when I only wanted to say one thing.

I love my Blackberry Pearl. I haven’t had any issues with it.
I talk, text, email and browse the web.
Good apps that you can utilize.

It can be a little slow sometimes… nothing that irritates me and it doesn’t happen frequently.

I haven’t heard anything about the Storm but I think this thread says enough about it for you to not choose it.

I think the BB Curve is a good choice.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:

I too used to hate texting, until I realized it was a great way to avoid having a conversation with someone when I only wanted to say one thing.[/quote]

Yeah, idle chit chat being done away with is a plus.

“I’ll be right there” requires no further conversation.

“I’m not wearing panties” also requires more action and less talk.

Now that I think of it, I am all for less talk and more action so maybe I should be more “pro-texting”.