Gettin Back in the Game

Hello fellow newbies and seasoned veterans…

I am making a come back after a 10 year hiatus. I used to powerlift in high school so I am most familiar with the more basic lifts (benchpress, deadlift, squat). At my best I could bench my weight of 145, dead lift 250 and squat 280. Even though I was treated like a freak because of it (ass was too big?!?!?!), I used to be extremely proud of my strength and my muscles.

Disclaimer: I grew up in the country and my coach was approaching retirement so what he knew about weight training was probably a little dated. Also I was the only female lifter there so I got lumped in with the boys, whatever they did i had to do…

Our workouts went a little something like this:

*Main lifts(squat, benchpress, deadlift)
1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4, 1x2, increasing load each set
*Secondary lifts(military, skull crushers, ham curls, calf press, etc) were all 3x12, increasing load each week

Mon/Wed upper body
Tues/Thurs lower body
Fri either max or burn out(alternating weeks)on squat, bench and deadlift

There was no focus on nutrition other than “no carbonated drinks!” and we knew absolutely nothing about supplements.

I had been lurking on this site for a few weeks before I decided to register, and while the information is extremely useful the sheer amount of it is a little daunting. I will post my current diet and workout program and any criticism, observations, suggestions…and whatever else you got to say…will be greatly appreciated.

I am SOOOO excited to get back in the game!!!

For diet I am combining the A-diet and the V-Diet. 3 low-carb protein shakes and 3 “lean and green” meals. So far this has been relatively easy to stick to. Before finding this site I was eating 6 small meals a day, but my carb intake was only slightly lower than my protein intake. I still managed to lose 15 pounds in a month so hopefully the last 20 will come off even easier with this plan.

I have played with my training and have decided on:

Day 1: Heavy- 5 sets
A1 db press x6
A2 db flies x8
B1 seated row x6
B2 straight arm pull down x8

Day 2: Lt weight Circuit 3x12
db shoulder press
leg press
seated row
ham curl
abs
calves
20 min steady rate Cardio

Day 3: off

Day 4: Heavy- 5 sets
A1 deep squat x6
A2 step up x8
B1 Dead Lift (mixed grip) x6
B2 good morning x8

Day 5: Lt weight Circuit 3x12
db press
lunges
lat pull down (pronated grip)
Stiff leg DL
calves
abs
20 minutes cardio

Day 6 & 7: off

m’kay, I’m ready… please be gentle!!

Welcome and congrats for wanting to make a change.

Thanks Dude!!!

ass too big! a powerlifting chick! WTF what was wrong with them! welcome back.

my sentiments exactly… I’m not gay, but even I can appreciate a woman with a big ole squatters ass!! lol

Thanks for the welcome, btw

[quote]Lady_J wrote:
my sentiments exactly… I’m not gay, but even I can appreciate a woman with a big ole squatters ass!! lol

Thanks for the welcome, btw[/quote]

I definitely appreciate a woman with a big ole squatters ass…lol. Anyways,you born and raised in TX? I did a thread on TX HS Girls Powerlifting a few weeks back on Powerful Women forum.

yeah, i was looking at that big_boss … seeing those liftin suits sure brought back some memories…my bench shirt was so tight it took 3 people to put it on me… lol those were the days!!!

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Lady_J wrote:

I definitely appreciate a woman with a big ole squatters ass…lol. Anyways,you born and raised in TX? I did a thread on TX HS Girls Powerlifting a few weeks back on Powerful Women forum.[/quote]

yes sir, born and raised in North TX. U?

[quote]Lady_J wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
Lady_J wrote:

I definitely appreciate a woman with a big ole squatters ass…lol. Anyways,you born and raised in TX? I did a thread on TX HS Girls Powerlifting a few weeks back on Powerful Women forum.

yes sir, born and raised in North TX. U?

[/quote]

East TX born and raised…so are you looking to actually get back into powerlifting at some point?

Ohh…you should post on the Powerful Women section…lots of strong ladies with good advice.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Ohh…you should post on the Powerful Women section…lots of strong ladies with good advice.[/quote]

i was thinkin about it… not too much going on in the Beginners forum

okay, Fedex lost my shipment of Metabolic Drive…any suggestions on what i should get while I wait on another shipment to arrive? Was using GNC Mega MRP…

God damn murphy’s law…

[quote]Lady_J wrote:
okay, Fedex lost my shipment of Metabolic Drive…any suggestions on what i should get while I wait on another shipment to arrive? Was using GNC Mega MRP…

God damn murphy’s law…[/quote]

Well…I think you would be fine just taking in more protein from food if possible…and depending on when you actually get your shipment.

But I would look into EvoPro or Muscle Milk(same company). I use Syntrax Matrix 5.0…its a tad more pricey than Metabolic Drive…but you get 5lbs. I don’t see how you can chug down anything from GNC…lol.

280lbs squat???

impressive

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
280lbs squat???

impressive[/quote]

yeah well, god only knows how long it will take me to get back there

ok ladies and germs, here we go:

10 min warm up:treadmill 4mph/ incline 3

A1 Bench press 45(bar)x6 55x6,6,6,6
A2 DB flies 15x8,8,8,8,8

B1 seated row 70x6,6 80x6,6 90x6
B2 straight arm pull down 60x8,8,8,8,8

Abs: stability ball crunches 3x15

(I have no idea if I’m writing this in the right format)

I was not too impressed with my bench or fly, but I am proud I benched more than just the bar!!! The straight arm pull down killed my shoulders, feels like they’re gonna fall off!

Meal 1: 7am protein shake 37g protein/ 2gm fat/ 5g carbs
Meal 2: 10am 1 oz almonds ?
Meal 3: 12pm protein shake 37/2/5
Meal 4: 3pm 1 oz almonds ?
Meal 5: 5pm protein shake 37/2/5
Meal 6 1/2 protein shake 18.5/1/2.5

No veggies and barely any solid food… I was too damn lazy to pack anything when I got up this morning. Tomorrow will be better.

Welcome aboard!

I see you have a PL background. What are your current goals?

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Welcome aboard!

I see you have a PL background. What are your current goals?[/quote]

first and foremost I wanna lose the last 20 lbs of fat I gained, then I want to go back to lifting heavy again…

V-Diet to lose the last little chub then Rippetoe, WS4SB, Bill Starr, or Stronglifts as a program …?