Gettin a Streetbike

[quote]BillyBoy wrote:
I ride a 1978 Suzuki GS1000.
Awesome old school vintage muscle. Set up for sport touring.

The bike now has bar end mirrors, a yosh pipe, pod filters and a DJ stage 3 kit.

So, being a Suzuki guy, I recommend the GSXR.[/quote]

My Father has one of those bikes and loves to ride it. Almost every week. He also has a 84 GS1100. As they say the GS will always get you home. I ride an 89 Yamaha FJ1200 another great bike.

I recommend you ride a BMW bike. You’ll never ride a Honda again. Just ride it for the sake of experience. The balance is incredible. Pure surgical efficient engineering.

Then Buell is also a very good balanced bike. With the fuel tank in the lower frame. Amazing balance and flips from corner to corner with a full tank better then just about any bike running with a empty tank.\

From there there is a Ducati but IMO not worth the money. Overpriced.

Japanese bikes are also very good but very sterile. I rode a 600 and for a few years put in alot of time in a CBR1100XX super blackbird. Excellent bike i would recommend to anyone that knows how to ride.

I’m actually looking at buying a CBR 1000. A dealer near me has new 2008 bikes on sale to clear out their inventory. I wasn’t planning on upgrading yet; but after looking at them and sitting on one I want it pretty bad now.

I also thought this was an interesting article. They liked the CBR in the end, but if you read the details you really can’t go wrong with either.

[quote]BillyBoy wrote:
I ride a 1978 Suzuki GS1000.
Awesome old school vintage muscle. Set up for sport touring.

The bike now has bar end mirrors, a yosh pipe, pod filters and a DJ stage 3 kit.

So, being a Suzuki guy, I recommend the GSXR.[/quote]

Nice…I own a 84" GS 1150. I can never see myself selling it. Old but still fast as hell. Mid 11’s at the track. Smoked every GSX’r 750 I raced…but that was ten years ago and they would kill me now…power to weight.

OP…usually the best riders started on dirt imho. Insurance is gonna brutal.

This is a point that it seems is scarcely ever made:

At this point in time, the bikes have gotten where any of the Japanese brands as well as some other makes will give you genuine excellence in terms of performance from a superbike. They are all great performers.

But one bike may fit you much better, in terms of riding comfort, than another.

Aside from being a Kawasaki guy anyhow, my last three bikes were all outstanding for this. Going way back to the Eddie Lawson Replica KZ1000R2, I rode that bike almost nonstop from NYC to Miami (other than gas stops, very brief fast food stops, and a 1 hour nap in Georgia) and wasn’t the slightest bit physically uncomfortable for one moment, or for that matter the next day. I never did ride the ZX-11 or 12R that far but they both were very comfortable bikes.

I’ve ridden other sportbikes that I wouldn’t want to go more than a couple of hours on.

Even if just riding for an hour, a bike that feels just right, is a big difference over time of ownership compared to one that is cramped or awkward for whatever reason. The difference is much bigger than 0.2 sec in the 1/4 mile would be, or whatever other stat, unless of course one actually drag races, if using that stat. (And even if so it would be pretty irrelevant as the bike probably wouldn’t stay stock.)

Anyhow, it’s a point that I think weighs a lot more than many other factors.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

At this point in time, the bikes have gotten where any of the Japanese brands as well as some other makes will give you genuine excellence in terms of performance from a superbike. They are all great performers.

Aside from being a Kawasaki guy anyhow, my last three bikes were all outstanding for this. Going way back to the Eddie Lawson Replica KZ1000R2, I rode that bike almost nonstop from NYC to Miami (other than gas stops, very brief fast food stops, and a 1 hour nap in Georgia) and wasn’t the slightest bit physically uncomfortable for one moment, or for that matter the next day. I never did ride the ZX-11 or 12R that far but they both were very comfortable bikes.

I’ve ridden other sportbikes that I wouldn’t want to go more than a couple of hours on.

Even if just riding for an hour, a bike that feels just right, is a big difference over time of ownership compared to one that is cramped or awkward for whatever reason. The difference is much bigger than 0.2 sec in the 1/4 mile would be, or whatever other stat, unless of course one actually drag races, if using that stat. (And even if so it would be pretty irrelevant as the bike probably wouldn’t stay stock.)

[/quote]

Agreed…and it is something no one will know until they are actually sitting on one. My Honda 1000 performs way better than the Yamaha R6 that I had (even in turns, the CBR can make sharp U-turns that the R6 couldn’t)…but the R6 was more comfortable for long rides. If I get another bike, it will probably be an R1 simply because of that.

If you mostly just ride your bike to and from work, then look more at performance…but if you plan on actually being on the thing for very long periods of time, make sure your back isn’t screaming after being on it for over an hour or there will be no long distance cross country tours in your future.

I would pass out on my bike if I had to go from New York to Miami on it. Oh, it would probably beat you as far as speed…but I won’t be able to walk once I get there.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
w…but I won’t be able to walk once I get there.[/quote]

well yeah, you’re a big dumb bodybuilder who gets out of breath from walking probably… where do you find bikes big enough to fit your massive legs

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:
w…but I won’t be able to walk once I get there.

well yeah, you’re a big dumb bodybuilder who gets out of breath from walking probably… where do you find bikes big enough to fit your massive legs [/quote]

We just tie two bikes together. Also, I’ve noticed the ability to FINALLY be able to walk up stairs with my new take-along oxygen tank (now in five new pastel colors to match any outfit).

Who’s unfunctional now, bitches?!

… Who’s unfunctional now, bitches?!
[/quote]

Amazing.

jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:
w…but I won’t be able to walk once I get there.

well yeah, you’re a big dumb bodybuilder who gets out of breath from walking probably… where do you find bikes big enough to fit your massive legs

We just tie two bikes together. Also, I’ve noticed the ability to FINALLY be able to walk up stairs with my new take-along oxygen tank (now in five new pastel colors to match any outfit).

Who’s unfunctional now, bitches?![/quote]

Pastel? What about carbon fiber, It’s black and it goes with everything in any season.

Well I went to a few dealerships and sat on each bike, and I have to say the GSXR felt and looked the best. The CBR wasn’t too far off though. I just liked the look of the GSXR over the CBR though both are very good looking bikes. I also looked at the R1 and it felt to “aggressive” when sitting on it. The R1 has more of a forward seating position that didn’t feel quite right with me. Now I just need to get a little more money together for a down payment :frowning: thank you everyone for your opinions.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

[/quote]

The whole comfort over long hauls is why my next bike will be a cruiser… probably a yamaha or Kawi because I like their styling and the cost for what you get can NOT be beat…