T Nation

Get Your Thinkin' Caps...

I have a long paper to write over some sort of PR/advertising issue that was fraudulent, and that was discussed in both professional and academic circles.

This is relevant to T-Nation because I would like to write on something related to the health and fitness industry. Fraudulent supplement? Dangerous training program? Diet pill that killed folks? Mention it!

The main thing is that it has to be a single event, otherwise I’d be going off Health and Fitness, Men’s Health, and the general failure of mainstream fitness.

Rattle off some ideas, and if we find a winner, I’ll rip it apart with rhetoric and reason!

9/11

lol.

hydroxycut was recalled. you could talk about that.

obviously you could talk about teh roidz.

OOOOH, enzyte would be badass to talk about. mofo had to end up paying like a billion bucks back for fradulent claims and shit.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
lol.

hydroxycut was recalled. you could talk about that.

obviously you could talk about teh roidz.

OOOOH, enzyte would be badass to talk about. mofo had to end up paying like a billion bucks back for fradulent claims and shit.[/quote]

Hydroxycut is the first thing that pops into my mind.
You can always talk about the portrayal of steroids in the media and crap like that.

Hmm… While the portrayal of AAS in the media would be an interesting topic, I don’t think that’s specific enough to satisfy the assignment requirements. It’s sad, too, because there’s tons and tons of research on AAS.

Hydroxycut might be worth checking out…

I know it’s not a single event, but it should be helpful. Wouldn’t take much leg work to find instances of any of those tricks being pulled.

Unstable surface training

[quote]stockzy wrote:
Unstable surface training[/quote]

Now that’s interesting.

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research has several pages of information dedicated to this, and my university has full access to Lexis Nexus. I have a lot of research at hand, although I will have to associate this with a specific PR or advertising campaign. Anyone know of a time where someone very publicly got hurt over unstable surface training?

Edit: Or, an instance where unstable surface training was specifically pushed and touted as superior to other forms of training?

If you want something more specific you could talk about how the media keeps blaming steroids for suicides, like Taylor Hooten (sp?) and Chris Benoit.