Get Your S@#$ Right

So here it goes again, another training log…

Backstory:
-I’ve had a couple logs on here before, but stuff has always gotten in the way (read: I can be lazy as shit), but now I realize that when I actually kept track of my training I’ve seen some of my best results.

-I’ve run 5/3/1, Smolovs, SS, Westside (tweaked for my preferences)… Personally, I loved smolovs and saw some of my best squatting on it, so I’m probably going to run it again.

-NOTE: to anyone wondering if they should run 5/3/1 or not and they’ve never used it before, DO IT! Not only is it a solid program, but intuitively, it taught me a lot about my training and what I like/dislike, etc. And personally? You’re never too “advanced” for 5/3/1… It’s just one of the most solid programs out there (not saying all other programs don’t have their own merits.)

-I’m a high frequency guy. Not cause of Broz or online articles or anything like that, I just love it in general. Okay, I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t say Jamie Lewis hasn’t influenced me a bit.

-Speaking of influences: Chad Waterbury, Jim Wendler (obviously), some of Christian Thibaudeau’s older work (e.g. Black Book of Secrets), Jamie Lewis… and probably a lot more that I can’t really think of.

Height: 5’5
Weight: 130

Current 1RM Stats:
Deadlift – 345
OHP – 125
Squat – 250
Bench – Eh… I really hate benching, so I don’t really do it anymore. I do dips and incline bench… but flat benching really is not for me.

I did a meet in June of 2011, weighing in at 137 (a lot lower than I thought I was), competing in the 148 lb class.
Results:
Deadlift – 429
Squat – 285 (I completely fucked this one up bad time)
Bench Press – 205 (My squat had kind of demoralized me…)

Best gym lifts:
Deadlift – 435
Squat – 300
Bench Press – 225

-Even more back story: I have been battling depression and various other problems for a couple years right now, and right now I’m finally going to start some actual outpatient therapy (literally, tomorrow.) I’ve been on an SSRI (fluoxetine) before, but it kind of worsened things for me, so I’m off it. Not to use any of this as an excuse, but it’s the largest contributing factor to the obvious drop in weight and lifts, in my opinion.

WHAT THIS LOG IS ABOUT:
-see title
-my journey to becoming a badass (hopefully)
-accountability. forcing me to be held accountable to something… I’ve learned that accountability can be great motivation

What I’m doing:
-Smolovs, high-frequency overhead pressing (kinda experimenting with running a smolov-esque OHP program using the same rep scheme), lots of heavy (for me)singles for pulling, minimal flat-benching, and lots of pullover/straight arm pulldown variations (cause I like how they feel, duh.)

Why I train the way I do:
-I like high frequency
-Training can be exceedingly therapeutic for me
-Eh, we can all be a bit masochistic at times =P

12/27/2011

DL
135 X 3
225 X 3
275 X 1
295 X 1
315 X 1
315 X 1 X 5
330 x 1 x 8

Cable SAPD (straight-arm pulldown)
60 x 20

One arm DL
135 x 3/3
185 x 2/2
195 x 2/2
135 x 5/5

*note: the reason I did the SAPD right before the one arm DL is because I really wanted to “feel” my lats when doing the one arm DL’s (aka experimenting.) I liked it. Will do again.

Front Squats @ 135 – didn’t want to go heavy on these because tomorrow’s another squat day
x10
x8
x7
x3

Was pretty pooped after these. They ended up being pretty grueling. Took a page from the old school 20 rep squat program and immediately followed this with decline db pullovers.
35 lb x 33+ (I lost count after that, just went until exhaustion.)

Bunch of standing abs.

Done.

Might head in for a quick pump session tonight (read as biceps) cause I’ve realized I probably should start directly working my biceps, at least a little.

Squats (Smolovs)
200 x 7 x 5
(I already did 185 x 9 x 4 on Monday)

OHP (my experiment… taken from Wendler, I do a buncha BW pullups in between sets)
100 x 7 x 3
100 x 5 x 2 (I couldn’t make the last 2 reps on the last 2 sets)
100 x 4
(Did 95 x 9 x 4 on Monday)

V-Squat Machine (first time doing this – decided to try after reading Matt Wenning talking about raw squaters need higher rep work and other leg work aside from pure squatting)
1 plate x 10
2 plate x 15
2 plate x 12 x 2
2 plate to 1 plate drop set x 5/12

Incline Bench
Don’t remember, worked up to multiple sets of 145 x 4

Bottom Up 1/4 Front Squat then hold for as long as I can
135 x 5
225 x 3 (these were warm ups)
245 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
305 x 1
I always love doing these cause a) it feels badass to do em’ and b) it works your upper back/core like no other.

That was it for the day, had to head to first day of group therapy (GT) which went fairly well in my opinion… And then I got in a car accident. I couldn’t see the traffic in front of the car ahead of me and I was slowing down with her but didn’t realize how close she was to stopping. I rear-ended her. Minimal damage to her car, her muffler is hanging a bit and a few small scratches on the fender, but that’s about it. No one was hurt. My car’s hood is completely fucked along with the front fender and grill, but it still runs, I guess… I just can’t help but feel like such a complete failure now though, like I’m just a drain on my family financially, emotionally, etc…

If anyone can give me advice on insurance/car accidents, it would be highly appreciated. We exchanged all the needed info, filed a police report just in case, and I’ve already made a claim. Anything else I can do? And also, the officer/lady I ran into said it was obvious I was NOT speeding.

I wanted to go into the gym today, maybe do some light ab work and rehab work etc… but i don’t really feel like doing anything right now.

Really random question, if anyone’s reading this and has any experience with oly lifting or just has the same problem, please feel free to comment. I promise, I won’t bite.

I decided tomorrow I wanna work up to heavy singles on hang snatches, but my biggest problem with snatches isn’t the actual lift itself but rather when I initiate the lift the bar hits my pubic one (literally above my cock) and it hurts like hell! Interestingly enough, if I’m doing something like doubles, the first rep will be fine, but it will be the second one that hurts.

Thoughts? Or should I just stop worrying about my dick in the snatch? :wink:

Snatches
bar x 4
95 x 1
95 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
115 x 0
bar x 4, focusing on technique.

deadlift
135 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1
325 x 1 x 6
295 x 2
(attempted a drop set here – ended up having to take a quick breather between each weight)
295 x 2
275 x 2
275 x 2
225 x 5

Dips
Bw x a bunch
+45 x 30 total in 3 sets, don’t remember how I broke it up

Super set db rows/bw dips – 45 sec rest
80 lb x 12/ bw x 15

I did this for 5 rounds. When I couldn’t finish 15 dips, I changed to pec minor dips a la John Meadows. Surprised I actually felt a pretty good squeeze in em.

CGBP
105 x 7 x 4

DB Hammer curls
25 x 12 x 4 FOR DA PUMPZ

Gymnast style Hanging leg raise
BW x 5 x 5

tried a couple Turkish get ups today, but my form isn’t solid so I’m gonna look em’ up some more.

-is there a method to madness? HELL NO. just madness.

squats
215 x 5 x 7

ohp
105 x 5 x 5
pushpress
95 x amap x 2

hang power clean and jerk
95 x amap x 3

hang power clean
135 x 4
145 x 3
155 x 2 x 4
135 x 3

one arm dl
165 x 3/3
185 x 3/3
205 x 2/2
215 x 1/1

sumo dl – double overhand
215 x 3
215 x 3
stripset
215 x 3
205 x 3
185 x 3
135 x 5
rest
135 x 16

working on speed/grip/strengthening my ass

buncha gm, seated behind the neck press, facepulls, pullups, and pushups

overall good workout

squats
225 x 3 x 10 → surprisingly easy, weights moved fast and I even cut rest time so I could get home sooner

clean to rack then push press (BW pull ups in between)
115 x 5 x 10

Incline BP
115 x something x something
135 x something x something
145 x something x … you get the idea
155 x see above.
165 x for a few singles

Elevated-feet pushups x something x something
More pullups x something x something

leg curl
50 x 12 x 3

V-squat
worked up to 3 pps + 15 x 6
drop set

BW dips/pec minor dips x a bunch

DB pullovers
40 lb x 30ish?

Buncha pump tri work

CGBP
115 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
125 x 5
125 x 5
115 x 5

If I’m gonna keep this log going, I should probably keep track of reps/sets more accurately, huh?

Notes:
-I liked the idea of smolovs for OHP, but honestly it’s not my strength that’s giving, but muscular endurance I guess. So for now I think I’ll try keeping smolovs, going a bit heavier, but using push press instead.
-Yes, I realize my programming shouldn’t even really be called programming.
-New Years Resolutions are STUPID. I HATE THEM. But here are mine =] :
*Be healthy and happy, physically and mentally
*Pick up a hobby or two on the side?
*Finish a bunch of short stories I have saved on my computer
*Be consistent not only with my training and diet, but also with my psych treatment
*Keep my GPA up, figure out what I need to apply to work for the feds
*LEARN TO WORRY ABOUT THE TASK AT HAND AND ONLY THAT. DON’T DWELL ON THE PAST, DON’T GET ANXIOUS ABOUT THE FUTURE.

Oh, lifting goals too:
-Deadlift 500
-Bench 1.5x BW for reps (ugh)
-Squat 315
-OHP 1.5x BW

I don’t know if anyone’s reading this ( i wouldn’t blame anyone if you weren’t hahaha) feel free to share resolutions/changes you wanna make this year, I think a lot of the times sharing things like this can be a) inspirational, b) help hold you accountable, and c) sharing is caring, mofuckas.

HAPPY NEW YEARS! Let’s make this last year count before the world blows up!

OOP! I forgot one thing:

1/4 front squat holds
225 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
315 x 1 PR
335 x 0, didn’t budge
335 x 0, got it up but hit the weird hook thing at my home-gyms weird rack…
335 x 1, got the set up right, felt like a badass =P

Alright, I was planning on deadlifting heavy yesterday because I finally found both my straps… but my back was not having it, like at all.
I’m going to guess it’s because one of these three reasons:
-smolovs is taking a toll on my back – more than I think
-maybe I’m not meant to deadlift so often when I’m getting back into the swing of things
-I was trying to pre-exhaust my lats via SAPD and low-rows (focusing on contraction and a really slow eccentric)

Honestly? I really hope it’s the latter.
This also made me realize maybe I should start at least having some form of loose structure aside from Smolovs.

Thinking of having a 5/3/1 deadlift and power clean day (separate days for each – possibly change power cleans to high pulls, but we’ll see)

Today:
Smolov Squats
205 x 9 x 4 → this was surprisingly easy minus the last few reps of the last set. Speed was much better than I thought it would be.

Smolov OHP
100 (technically supposed to be 102.5, but we don’t have those incremental plates) x 9 x 2
100 x 5

Then I realized at this point, my shoulders can handle the weight, but not the volume – at least not standing. I finished my last two sets of nine using the same weight, except seated.

Dead-stop squats, focusing on speed out of the hole
135 x 3
185 x 3 x 5

Iso-shoulder hammer strength machine thingy
Worked up to something like 2pps +15
Then did a drop set all the way down

Reverse Pec-dec
50 total reps

Lots of pull ups in between pressing (I try to get around 50 total)
BW dips, AMAP X 3

Takeaways from this workout:
-YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DEADLIFT FROM THE FLOOR MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK WHILE RUNNING SMOLOVS.
-I still like the idea of Smolovs for OHP, but I might change it to seated so my body isn’t completely destroyed
-I need to figure out if I want to run the actual Smolovs program or maybe repeat the base mesocycle? To be honest I really like the base mesocycle, but at the same time I don’t think it was meant to be run continuously…
-Dropping any form of real snatching until I can get some proper coaching. I hear my form looks pretty solid, but the risk to benefit ratio for me is too high.

I felt like complete shit today. Really battling my mind all of last night and this morning; 3 hours of sleep, felt sluggish and shitty ALL day (figuratively, and slightly literally.) Made it to my therapy session where I think we had a good session and then got a cafe americano afterward (my drink of choice, aside from good coffee) to try and wake myself up so I could get in the gym and pull. Did. not. work. Oh well, decided to get in there anyway and here’s what happened:

DL
135 x 3 x 2
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1
345 x 1 → Recent PR
355 x 1 → Definitely recent PR
365 x 0 → got it up past my knees, but couldn’t lock it out
335 x 1 x 3
325 x 1 x 3
315 x 1
275 x 5 x 2
Drop set:
275 x 5
225 x 4
[caught breath and to reset myself]
225 x 6

Was thinking of calling it a day here, but fuggit, I was already in there.

Chest supported DB rows (Decided to try these out in lieu of Kroc rows because I didn’t want to completely fry my lower back while attempting Smolovs)
35 lb x 15, 12, 12, 14

Trap T-Bar Rows (I use 25’s and grab the handles of the plates, really hits the traps)
2 pl x 20
3 pl x 15
3 pl x 12
Drop set
3 pl x 14
2 pl x 20

Cable Row Iso holds (I love throwing these in every once in awhile, really squeezing my scapulae together)
some weight x some seconds x something

• I really dont care about weight/reps/sets for these, it’s more for feel

Straight arm pull downs
a buttfuck bunch while spotting a guy doing 1/8 incline BP. BROBROBROBROBROBROBRO (he called me bro hundreds of times)

Did a shitload of bw dips and pull ups.

Been messing around a lot with planche progressions at the end of workouts

Can do everything upto tuck planche pushups; I can’t quite fully extend my arms all the way.

Free fresh caught dungeonus crab for dinner you say? LET’S DO IT.

Just ate a whole dungeness (correct spelling now) crab, including sweet meats, etc. DAMN DELICIOUS.

Okay, a) my trap/rhomboids pump yesterday was ridiculous, b) today was the first day of smolovs that was actually really challenging.

Squats
220 x 7 x 5
-I normally am a form stickler when it comes to squatting (only pertaining to myself) and am an ATG guy, but today I had to shift to a little wider stance and just using a more PL-like form to get all the required reps. Rather than ATG, I just went for breaking parallel.

Seated OHP, Smolov
110 x 7 x 5
-really glad I changed to seated, pull ups in-between

T-Bar push press (each side)
35 x 10 x 2
45 x 8
45 x 8
35 x 12 x 2

Hamstring leg curl
some weight x 10 x 3

followed up with v-squat machine
2 pps x 5
3 pps x 5
3 pps +15 x 5 x 2
3 pps x 8 x 2
2 pps x 10

Incline Bench Press
Worked up to a few sets of 155 for doubles, then a lot of rep work

CGBP
Worked up to 135 for triples

Weighted Dips
+45 x some number x some number
when i couldn’t do any more, I changed to pec minor dips, and then unweighted dips

I really wanna bring up my glutes cause they’ve always been a weak point for me, but I’m too big of a puss to do hip thrusts, so I tried super-wide sumo DL’s.

225 x 5 x 3

then i tried something new, same thing, except at the top you hold and squeeze your ass as hard as you can. You can even kinda “hump” the bar while hyperextending – really burnt my ass! Gonna keep these, I think.

Did more gymnastic stuff, can go from tuck planche to an L-sit and vise versa.

TRAP DAY

Not going to lie, ever since I saw Warrior, I’ve had the hugest man-crush on Tom Hardy’s traps. Seriously, traps for days.

Rack Pulls with shrug as high as I can at top and hold (start just below knees)
Warm ups
225 x 5 (normal shrugs)
315 x 1
345 x 1
365 x 1
385 x 1
365 x 1
365 x 0
345 x 1 x 3
315 x 1
315 x 1 x 5 (done as cluster set, 15 sec rest b/w each rep, hands always on bar)
225 x 12, 6 (normal shrugs)

High pulls
135 x 5
185 x 3 x 2
205 x 2 x 3
185 x 5 x 2
135 x 5 x 3

One arm DL (just felt like throwing them in)
135 x 5 x 2
185 x 3 x 2
Stability wise these felt a lot better and therefore faster.

One arm DB row
100 x 8 x 3
100 x 20 (these were done a lot less cleanly to say the least, hahaha)

Cable row, iso hold (tried to shrug at top to really hit the traps)
75 x 3 x 3

100 lb DB farmer walks
did em as far as I could until the gym owner said I should be more delicate with his DB’s cause one of the 80 lb’ers broke recently. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all for respecting equipment, ALWAYS, but this gym owner is just a cheap bastard. He’s had probably the same equipment forever, and it’s all pretty cheap equipment anyway; when equipment gets broke he usually a)leaves it broken, or b) does a shitty repair with duct tape (seriously).

Buncha gymnastic holds again

needless to say, my traps hurt. In the best way possible. Now enjoying some lemon pepper wingstop. yum.

these pics are me sitting at about under 130… looking at em now, I feel so small]=

also, the protein monster rehab drink is pretty awesome if you haven’t tried it yet.

running on 0 sleep. 4 eggs + a monster rehab… time to go do some work.

Dear Mr./Ms./Whoever Smolov,

I humbly concede that you are now kicking my ass.

Sincerely,
zohl8

Squats
235x5x7
Wasn’t even going to bother trying my closer-stance, ATG usual squat. Went powerlifting style, still hit parallel, and rather than just killing my quads my ass was on fire.
…hehe, ass on fire.

Seated OHP Smolovs → body weight pull ups in between
120 x 5 x 7 (Supposed to be 117.5, but too lazy to figure that out)

Front squat (pause at bottom, come up to parallel, go back down, then back up = 1 rep)
135 x 3 x 2
155 x 3 x 2

ISO HS shoulder press
1 pps x 10 x 2
1 pps + 35 x 5-7 x 4
1 pps x 16

Face pulls
70 x 15 x 2
90 x 12 x 2
drop set
80 x 10
70 x 15

Squeeze press w/ 2 5lb plates, Incline DB press
40 x 15
50 x 10
60 x 8, 7, 6, 7
45 x 10

Reverse pec dec machine
something like 67 total reps

More planche stuff.

Ahem, this workout was fucking brutal on me. I don’t know if it was the workout itself or if it was the shitty sleep. Either way, I’m glad I got in and did it.

Also, I may not be an adamant PALEO-4-LYFE guy, but I do believe a paleo-like lifestyle is much better than how most people eat and I would recommend it to most people. Personally, I try to follow it within reason. So, for shits and giggles, I present y’all with this:

Log looks good man, I kind of went through something similar around that age so I sympathize.

With regard to training during Smolov I think you should try to scale your other training back to maintenance mode, otherwise you risk overtraining. Remember this is only for 4 weeks.

[quote]al1492 wrote:
Log looks good man, I kind of went through something similar around that age so I sympathize.

With regard to training during Smolov I think you should try to scale your other training back to maintenance mode, otherwise you risk overtraining. Remember this is only for 4 weeks.[/quote]

Thanks man, appreciate your input.

Today:

Squats
235x3x10

Seated OHP
125x3x10

Speed Squats
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 3 x 3

Bottom Half OHP
95 x 12 x 3

Hang clean
Worked up to 165, then did a bunch of singles with 155 and doubles with 135

Front Squat Hold
225 x 1
315 x 1
345 x 1
365 x 1
395 x 1
425 x 1
405 x 1
405 x 1
(didn’t squat these ones up, but damn they felt awesome)

CGBP
Worked up to triples with 145

Buncha random tricep extensions/dips

More parallete bar work

Not much to report, just been busy already with the new quarter.

Sunday
Rage deadlifting day. Deadlifted for the sake of deadlifting.
Shrugs
High pulls

Monday
Paid the price for rage-lifting day before and knew I couldn’t squat.

Tuesday
Did prescribed reps, 215 x 9 x 4 for yesterday
tested 1RM which is at 270

OHP Smolov
115 x 9 x 4
135 x 4 x 5 (for shits, wanted to see how it was going – keep in mind this is seated)
155 x 1 x 2

Sumo pulls
325x10

hack squat
2 pps x 8 x 3
2 pps 25 x 5 x 2

other random bs

…in a funk