T Nation

Get Strong Like a Bull

i know people probably ask for workout reviews often. i was hoping this workout would be suitable for the offseason from football. the reps and sets are just suggestions but would change often. also most of the excercises would change every 4 to 5 weeks. and every 6 or so weeks i would take a lighter week.

5 day
Day 1 - legs
Power clean 4,4,4,4
Squat max set of 5
Unilateral leg exercise 10,10,10,10
Hamstring exercise 10,10,10
Calf exercise 10,10,10

Day 2 -chest
Chest press (incline,decline,flat bench) max set of 3-5
DB chest press (incline,decline,flat bench) 4sets of 6-10
Face pull 12,12,12
Tricep exercise (skullcrushers, dips etc.) 10 10 10
Explosive pushups
Standing medicine ball throws

Day 3 - back
Deadlift max set 3-5
Horizontal pull (bent row, cable row etc.) 6,6,6
Shoulder press (standing, seated, barbell, dumbbell etc.) 6,6,6,6
Vertical pull (pull-ups, lat pulldown etc.) 6,6,6
Shrugs 10,10,10
Bicep exercise (bicep curls etc.) 10,10,10

Day 4 - legs
Squat 10,10,10
Hamstring exercise 6,6,6
Unilateral leg exercise 6,6,6
Tricep exercise 10,10,10

Day 5 - upper rep day
Clean and press 4,4,4,4
Chest press 3 sets max reps at set weight (95,135,155 etc.)
Vertical pull 10,10,10,10
Horizontal pull 10,10,10
Bicep exercise 10,10,10

i am at aroud 200 lbs. and i am trying to put on some size and get a lot stronger over the winter. any help i appreciated.

How tall are you? What are your main lifts like?

My suggestion is pretty much always the same to everyone who tries to make their own program (and there’s been a real spike in the numbers recently, for some reason?)-

Anyway, the advice is, that somewhere out there is a brilliant program written for your goals by a qualified and competent coach. This program has stood the test of time, and has helped countless other people in the same situation as you. My reasoning is, why not take advantage of that?

So- DeFranco’s ws4sb’s.

Honestly, if I was a football player looking for strength training info… I probably would do Westside For Skinny Bastards and read everything I could on Joe DeFranco’s website…

www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

I’m not saying that it is the only good football program, but it’s out there and it’s proven.

im around 6 foot 1 maybe. my bench is around 200, my squat is around 240, and my deadlift is around 290-300
i have been doing the WS4SB with good results for a few weeks. when football season ends i will have five days a week available to go to the gym and i want to make the best of it but defranco doesnt offer a five day program that i know of. several aspects of the workout i wrote up are taken from some of joe defrancos workouts. i was just wondering about advice and which would be good for a five day workout

[quote]mrjoshuarock wrote:
when football season ends i will have five days a week available to go to the gym and i want to make the best of it but defranco doesnt offer a five day program that i know of.[/quote]

There’s a reason for that.

3 lower body days a week will make you overtrained very quickly. I think one squat day and one DL day a week would be most benifical. It seems that you think more work = more results. But this will eventually make you degress.

I think you should stick with the program Joe Defranco layed out, and stop fucking with it.

I can understand wanting to do more, but like blacklabel said, 5 day’s is probably pushing it, with this type of template. (upper/lower)

I would suggest perhaps taking the fifth day to work on conditioning or energy systems or skills or pre-hab/weaknesses, this would be time well spent that will help you to no end when the next season starts.

As blacklabel pointed out, too, it’s possible that if you’re up for more of a challenge, that you could do two ME lower days rather than one ME/one DE. Check out this-

It’s pretty much still the same as defranco’s, but it might sit better with you and your goals.

However if you’re really determined to lift weights five days a week (nothing wrong with that), you might have to consider a different body part split, check around the bodybuilding forum and the t-cell…

Alright, thanks for the help. I may just find a more bodybuilder style 5-day split. Do you think this workout would be better if i changed the first squat day into a more quad and calf dominant day with some heavier squats and the second squat day into a deadlift and hamstring type of day, but remove the squats on the second day?

[quote]mrjoshuarock wrote:
Alright, thanks for the help. I may just find a more bodybuilder style 5-day split. Do you think this workout would be better if i changed the first squat day into a more quad and calf dominant day with some heavier squats and the second squat day into a deadlift and hamstring type of day, but remove the squats on the second day?[/quote]

Why dont you think Joe Defranco’s routine will not give you what your looking for? Were your stats are right now, this program should give you alotta strength, and put a decent amount of size on you.

Until you know what works for you, id hold off on trying to make your own routine.

[quote]tassietaekwon wrote:
However if you’re really determined to lift weights five days a week (nothing wrong with that), you might have to consider a different body part split, check around the bodybuilding forum and the t-cell…[/quote]

Agreed.

Like I said in my last comment, look for a routine, dont make one.

Why do you have to have 5 days of training? There’s no rule that says you need 5, or 4, or 3. You need what you need. That being said, ur plan is not much of a plan, and ur dismissal of a great plan that has worked for tons of people in the past shows ignorance. You asked for help and dismissed everyone’s ideas when it wasn’t a great 5 day plan that you wanted. Your “plan” has many flaws…

Day 2 -chest
Chest press (incline,decline,flat bench) max set of 3-5
DB chest press (incline,decline,flat bench) 4sets of 6-10
Face pull 12,12,12
Tricep exercise (skullcrushers, dips etc.) 10 10 10
Explosive pushups
Standing medicine ball throws

??? Explosive pushups and standing med ball throws at the end of a session? These are very CNS intensive movements that are plyometric in nature and should be performed first in your workout instead of last as you will get minimal performance and maximize risk for injury.

You also work you back directly or as a stabilizer almost every day, you’ll be shot. Balance the training load.

On a lighter note, Louie Simmons has been known to recommend up to 16 total workouts a week for lifters depending on their needs. This is 4 main workouts plus 12 extras, including GPP work and special exercises. Now in your situation I would recommend 4 days of lifting, plus 1 or 2 days of football specific conditioning.

What position do you play?

thanks for all the help guys, and im sorry if i have seemed rude. im on the original WS4SB right now. im seeing good gains with it and i will probably stick with it for a while longer. i was just trying out making my own workout to see how it would go. i think i may move to the four day WS4SB and just do some conditioning on the fifth day for a while and see how that pans out. the training i want to do does not have to be football specific, i really just want to put on some serious mass and strength. thanks for the advice and atleast i learned a few things about making a workout. because i will be in the offseason, do you think it would be a good idea to do two ME leg days as opposed to the one ME day and one DE day for the WS4SB?

I have a friend who put on quite a bit of muscle & got quite strong doing a full body 3 day a week program. All he basically does is bench, squat, and row three times a week. Deadlift once. Occasionally on an off day he’ll do some situps, chins & curls.

Starting strength.
Madcow’s 5x5 intermediate.
Madcow’s 5x5 advanced.

In 8 months, from a complete newbie in lifting, he went from 230 to 172 lbs (he’s 5’6ish). He just squatted 365x5: that’s > double body weight for 5 reps. He benched 230 for 4x5. And he’s not even started the intensity phase of madcow’s advanced program. :wink:

Sometimes less is more.

(And as a slightly off tangent comment: he did very poorly on 5/3/1)

I don’t see a problem with doing two ME lower days-
did you check that link I posted? It has you doing one lower day based on a squat variation, then another based on a dl variation. I’d be inclined to go for a more ham-orientated dl such as a SLDL, to avoid frying your back so much…

That being said, I follow ws4sb’s- but only do ONE lower day (a ME day), and my progress in strength has been just fine- the reason I only do one is because I play judo year round, and I simply don’t recover from doing more leg work- de/me or otherwise. I guess what I’m trying to say is that as far as strength goes, adding another day may not me necessary or even useful- but there’s no harm in trying it and seeing if it works for you.

alright! thank you everyone for the help, im sorry if i ticked anyone off. i think i will try out that WS4SB with the two leg ME days. if i find it too much i may move back to the WS4SB with one ME leg and one DE leg day. thanks!