Get Shredded vs. Velocity

I’m sorry if someone has already done a thread on this, but has anyone done both the Get Shredded diet (Berardi) and the Velocity Diet (Shugart)? How would you compare them as far as which gave you the quickest fat loss.

No opinions on this? Weird.

well I would assume they’d have different results for different people.

The velocity diet is generally recomended because of the permanant changes in your tastes for food, wheras the get shredded diet is for people who are usually way beyond that point and have already developed great habits.

I am sure lots of folks have an opinion. But this is an annoying question to those people. Why? Because almost everyone who has done both would answer the question thusly: Just pick one and follow it!

(Of course, given the awesome results people have gotten on the V-Diet, your real “question” is this: I’m afraid of going on the V-Diet. So someone please tell me Get Shredded is better!")

[quote]HogLover wrote:
No opinions on this? Weird.[/quote]

It depends what your starting point is.

The Get Shredded Diet isn’t for just randomly losing fat. It’s for Getting Shredded, as the title suggests. Get Shredded is for people who are already starting at a low body fat percentage and want to get extremely ripped. This isn’t a diet you try when you need to lose lots of fat.

The Velocity Diet can be used by anyone at anytime, provided you can stick to it. The Velocity Diet can be used similarly to Get Shredded, but it can also be used if you’re a high body fat percentage and want to jump-start your fat loss quickly.

If you’re starting at a low percentage and want to get even lower, use Get Shredded. If you’re a medium/high body fat percentage, use the Velocity Diet (if you’re really high, use something that can be prolonged, like T-Dawg 2.0).

I’ve participated in both diets with minor adjustments. My analysis concludes that the Velocity diet is more effective for me regarding fat loss endeavors. After a few weeks on the Get Shredded Diet, my progress became stagnant; I lowered my calories substantially and my body just didn’t respond with any weight loss after the 4th week or so. Given the fact I was attempting this dietary regimen for the full 12 weeks, I fell off the wagon in desperation. I found it quite taxing on the nervous system and felt uneasy as time progressed (not to mention insomnia and an incapacity to enter into REM sleep although this may’ve been due to other stressors at the time).

The Velocity Diet on the other hand was simpler, allowed up to 100 grams of carbs (which my body begged for), and didn’t feel as draining. I kept the weight off with the Get Shredded Diet (a net loss of 8-9 pounds) while with the Velocity Diet, in a briefer time span, I managed to lose about 15 and gain back 2 shortly thereafter (water/glycogen most likely).

Also note that I was performing fasted state cardio and hitting the track quite diligently during the Velocity Diet while with the latter, my training involved mostly calisthenics.

I used a modified approach with the Velocity Diet by incorporating solid foods into the plan; this kept me satiated and also corresponded with Berardi’s concept of inducing a greater thermic effect for quicker fat loss - I was oblivious to this principle at the time though. I hate hunger pangs. If I did the Velocity Diet again, I’d bounce my solid meals up from the 1-2 I was formerly consuming to maybe 3 and still maintain the rest of the protein from casein before bed and whey isolate upon awakening in the morning.

Sounds bizarre but I might also consider doing away with the Surge and going with BCAA’s and creatine post workout. Surge was a staple during the Velocity Diet but with the Get Shredded Diet, the BCAA’s and creatine did well in halting any catabolism. I’d rather save up those 50 grams of carbs from the Surge and eat a few slices of whole wheat bread or oatmeal instead, allbeit while keeping Shugart’s ratios within the appropriate macronutrient ranges.

If I had to select the diet to follow again, I’d choose the Velocity Diet with no hesistation.

You can thank a T-Nation member named superstar for pm’ing me about your curiosity. Any questions, feel free to drop a line.

Peace be with you.

[quote]stellar_horizon wrote:
I’ve participated in both diets with minor adjustments. [/quote]

Translation: I didn’t really follow the diets.

[quote]
I hate hunger pangs. If I did the Velocity Diet again, I’d bounce my solid meals up from the 1-2 I was formerly consuming to maybe 3 …[/quote]

Translation: I am so weak-willed that I can’t follow a simple diet and forgo solid foots for 24 of 28 days.

[quote]
Sounds bizarre but I might also consider doing away with the Surge … I’d rather save up those 50 grams of carbs from the Surge and eat a few slices of whole wheat bread or oatmeal instead[/quote]

Translation: Again, I am weak. Rather than follow proper post-workout guidelines, I will stuff food down my gullet. Again, not because it’s more effective, but because I’m weak.

Translation: I would be happy to re-write a diet for you - keeping in mind that you, like me, are weak-minded.

[quote]GranolaCon wrote:
stellar_horizon wrote:
I’ve participated in both diets with minor adjustments.

Translation: I didn’t really follow the diets.

I hate hunger pangs. If I did the Velocity Diet again, I’d bounce my solid meals up from the 1-2 I was formerly consuming to maybe 3 …

Translation: I am so weak-willed that I can’t follow a simple diet and forgo solid foots for 24 of 28 days.

Sounds bizarre but I might also consider doing away with the Surge … I’d rather save up those 50 grams of carbs from the Surge and eat a few slices of whole wheat bread or oatmeal instead

Translation: Again, I am weak. Rather than follow proper post-workout guidelines, I will stuff food down my gullet. Again, not because it’s more effective, but because I’m weak.

You can thank a T-Nation member named superstar for pm’ing me about your curiosity. Any questions, feel free to drop a line.

Translation: I would be happy to re-write a diet for you - keeping in mind that you, like me, are weak-minded.

[/quote]

You have really been a great contribution to this thread with your expert analysis of someone that was actually TRYING to be off assistance.

To the OP: It is dependent on your goals, both diets work well, but as previously mentioned the get shredded is for someone that is already lean and just wants to cut a little bit more.

he did the same thing on the v-diet thread.

Sorry to sound cliche, but the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

There are two excellent diets available on this siet. The authors put considerable time into their articles. Don’t you think Mr. Shugart considered having someone on the V-Diet eat several solid-food meals a day?

There’s a reason behind every recommendation from the article. Given that Mr. Shugart has been learning from the best for several years, I’d say it’s best not to screw with his recommendations. Also, many people who have “tweaked” the V-Diet have received inferior results. So… Might there be something to my comments. Indeed!

Also, let’s be real: Most people tweak diets not to make them more effective, but to make them easier. Thus, my comments were totally appropriate. Someone advised the dieter to take the easy way out. That was wrong of him.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
You have really been a great contribution to this thread with your expert analysis of someone that was actually TRYING to be off assistance.

To the OP: It is dependent on your goals, both diets work well, but as previously mentioned the get shredded is for someone that is already lean and just wants to cut a little bit more. [/quote]

You have a better knowledge of what I post than I do! I had to actually look to see what I wrote in that thread.

Here it my unhelpful contribution: “Down 12 pounds in 12 days. If you’re not taking Surge! or otherwise NOT FOLLOWING THE DIET (changing shit is NOT FOLLOWING THE DIET), then you can expect mediocre results.”

Man, it’s obvious I’m a real jerk! So let me amend my statement: Do whatever feels good for you and your body. If it seems too hard, then tweak the diet to make it easier. If there is cheaper way out (i.e., using mediocre protein post-workout), then take that option.
After all, forcing your body to go against millions of years of evolution by shedding fat is supposed to be easy!

Later, dude, I’m going to watch some Oprah!

[quote]brunottfn wrote:
he did the same thing on the v-diet thread.[/quote]

I have not done either diet, so everyone might want to bear that in mind as they read my post.

Personally, the 'Get Shredded" diet looks better overall.

First of all, although Chris Shugart is very knowledgeable, Berardi is a PhD who makes a living solely on his nutrition expertise.

The ‘Get Shredded’ diet is the more elegant of the two. It accounts for acid/alkaline balance, mineral/vitamin intake, antioxidants, thermogenic effect in addition to the standard protein/carb/fat breakdowns. I am also of the opinion that if you can accomplish the same thing with whole foods, then it’s better to do so.

I do think ‘Get Shredded’ demands more from the dieter. It involves much more food prep and planning. I also suspect it’s much more expensive once you purchase that laundry list of supplements (particularly 5g of BCAA, 4 times a day).

Everyone needs to take their own needs into consideration, though. I work for a company that sells grills, where I can grill my lunch on our demos, so it obviously makes it easier for me to follow a whole food diet than some people.

I plan on doing ‘Get Shredded’ in about 2-3 months, so ask me again later and I might curse it to high hell :wink:

[quote]GranolaCon wrote:
Man, it’s obvious I’m a real jerk![/quote]

I agree.

Translation: Work on your people skills.

[quote]GranolaCon wrote:

After all, forcing your body to go against millions of years of evolution by shedding fat is supposed to be easy!

[/quote]

Yeah, that’s why eating some veggies is probably a better way to go. The theory is increased satiety = increased metabolism. Shugart has definitely tweaked the diet along the way and I think it will incorporate more solid food - the final version will be out in book form. Also, deciding to keep your energy levels up so you can be at 100% with work, school or family is not being weak-minded.

Why? So that people who have been training for 6 years but are admittedly fat will “like” me? Okay, I’ll get right on that!

There are enough people in this world who tell people what they want to hear. I’m not one of those people.

Here’s some more of my people skills: If you have been training for 6 years, but are a fattie, you either have not been training hard, or your diet is shit.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar - though he’s probably a “nice” liar!

[quote]yorik wrote:
GranolaCon wrote:
Man, it’s obvious I’m a real jerk!

I agree.

Translation: Work on your people skills.[/quote]

I’m in a high-stress profession. I work long hours. I get it.

BUT… If you’re not doing the V-Diet (and if you’re eating two solids a day, you’re not), don’t say that you are.

I didn’t come up with the diet, and don’t have any interest in it. So I could care less if people mangle it.

But a lot of newbies don’t know any better, and follow the advice of anyone who will give it. “Oh, you mean I can have ice cream for dinner while still sticking to the V-Diet? Awesome!”

The best advice anyone can receive is this: Follow the diets as outlined. (Of course, if someone is advanced enough to tweak a diet, he wouldn’t need to ask for advice in an anonymous forum!)

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Also, deciding to keep your energy levels up so you can be at 100% with work, school or family is not being weak-minded. [/quote]

been on the job long?

So um, how did all of GranolaCon’s posts all of a sudden become CaliforniaLaw’s? Did some mod catch him using an alt account and change it?

LOL - black helicopters! No. C-L was my initial moniker. I changed it. I didn’t like my new moniker. So I changed it back.

[quote]Leafblighter wrote:
So um, how did all of GranolaCon’s posts all of a sudden become CaliforniaLaw’s? Did some mod catch him using an alt account and change it?[/quote]

been on the job long?