T Nation

Get in Running Shape Quick


#1

joining the track team,
need some help with tips on getting in running shape quick
thanks


#2

Strength sports, you’re on the wrong site.


#3

run everyday, honestly your team should get you into shape. If your worried about it chances are your probably not going to be very good this year. Take it as a learning year, and come back strong next year.


#4

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Strength sports, you’re on the wrong site.[/quote]

Your not that strong so you shouldn’t be giving advice…dumbass.

With regards to TS…just start running your ass off.


#5

[quote]Jhuczko wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Strength sports, you’re on the wrong site.

Your not that strong so you shouldn’t be giving advice…dumbass.

With regards to TS…just start running your ass off.[/quote]

“just start running your ass off”, DUH MORON.

seriously, I suggested a forum for other athletics, because stuff like this simply doesn’t belong in a “strength sports” forum. How strong are you? Does that override common sense? I wish I could be so strong that I no longer had to use common sense.


#6

You are probably not going to get good running advice on this site.


#7

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Jhuczko wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Strength sports, you’re on the wrong site.

Your not that strong so you shouldn’t be giving advice…dumbass.

With regards to TS…just start running your ass off.

“just start running your ass off”, DUH MORON.

seriously, I suggested a forum for other athletics, because stuff like this simply doesn’t belong in a “strength sports” forum. How strong are you? Does that override common sense? I wish I could be so strong that I no longer had to use common sense.[/quote]

Lots of people on this forum do more than just strength sports.
I’m in the army, so yeah, I run.

To the OP:
My biggest advice is, EVEN IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN DO MORE, ease into running, short distances at first, not too often.
Shin splints suck and you don’t want to get them.

As others have said, your not gonna set any world records this year, so just take it as a learning experience and ease into it.


#8

uh…running what on the track team?

big difference event to event.


#9

[quote]evansmi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Jhuczko wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Strength sports, you’re on the wrong site.

Your not that strong so you shouldn’t be giving advice…dumbass.

With regards to TS…just start running your ass off.

“just start running your ass off”, DUH MORON.

seriously, I suggested a forum for other athletics, because stuff like this simply doesn’t belong in a “strength sports” forum. How strong are you? Does that override common sense? I wish I could be so strong that I no longer had to use common sense.

Lots of people on this forum do more than just strength sports.
I’m in the army, so yeah, I run.

To the OP:
My biggest advice is, EVEN IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN DO MORE, ease into running, short distances at first, not too often.
Shin splints suck and you don’t want to get them.

As others have said, your not gonna set any world records this year, so just take it as a learning experience and ease into it.[/quote]

I don’t mean to be a dick, but that doesn’t overcome the fact that this forum is called “strength sports”. Personally I’m all for adding a forum for other athletics because a lot of stuff that gets posted here, simply doesn’t belong in here.


#10

this is good advice, but there should be a gerneal fitness and sports forums. sure this is a lifting site but who on here doesnt have questions on more than that?
im gonna run like 400 800 and mile


#11

Look up CT’s “Running Man” program - all protocols are good, and the 400m runs might be a good fit. I personally like the escalating intervals option in this article.

Best of luck.


#12

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
evansmi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Jhuczko wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Strength sports, you’re on the wrong site.

Your not that strong so you shouldn’t be giving advice…dumbass.

With regards to TS…just start running your ass off.

“just start running your ass off”, DUH MORON.

seriously, I suggested a forum for other athletics, because stuff like this simply doesn’t belong in a “strength sports” forum. How strong are you? Does that override common sense? I wish I could be so strong that I no longer had to use common sense.

Lots of people on this forum do more than just strength sports.
I’m in the army, so yeah, I run.

To the OP:
My biggest advice is, EVEN IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN DO MORE, ease into running, short distances at first, not too often.
Shin splints suck and you don’t want to get them.

As others have said, your not gonna set any world records this year, so just take it as a learning experience and ease into it.

I don’t mean to be a dick, but that doesn’t overcome the fact that this forum is called “strength sports”. Personally I’m all for adding a forum for other athletics because a lot of stuff that gets posted here, simply doesn’t belong in here.[/quote]

True, a seperate forum for fitness stuff would be a good idea, but for the time being, there isn’t one, and if you’ve ever looked at some of the crap websites out there, I’d say the OP was correct to ask the question on T-Nation as opposed to men’s health or some other crap site.
Although now that I think about it, elitefts would probably be the best place to ask as they have a sports training section and questions are only asked by experts.
So yeah, I retract my original statement. He is on the wrong site.

OP, go here: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/


#13

[quote]evansmi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
evansmi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Jhuczko wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Strength sports, you’re on the wrong site.

Your not that strong so you shouldn’t be giving advice…dumbass.

With regards to TS…just start running your ass off.

“just start running your ass off”, DUH MORON.

seriously, I suggested a forum for other athletics, because stuff like this simply doesn’t belong in a “strength sports” forum. How strong are you? Does that override common sense? I wish I could be so strong that I no longer had to use common sense.

Lots of people on this forum do more than just strength sports.
I’m in the army, so yeah, I run.

To the OP:
My biggest advice is, EVEN IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN DO MORE, ease into running, short distances at first, not too often.
Shin splints suck and you don’t want to get them.

As others have said, your not gonna set any world records this year, so just take it as a learning experience and ease into it.

I don’t mean to be a dick, but that doesn’t overcome the fact that this forum is called “strength sports”. Personally I’m all for adding a forum for other athletics because a lot of stuff that gets posted here, simply doesn’t belong in here.

True, a seperate forum for fitness stuff would be a good idea, but for the time being, there isn’t one, and if you’ve ever looked at some of the crap websites out there, I’d say the OP was correct to ask the question on T-Nation as opposed to men’s health or some other crap site.
Although now that I think about it, elitefts would probably be the best place to ask as they have a sports training section and questions are only asked by experts.
So yeah, I retract my original statement. He is on the wrong site.

OP, go here: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/ [/quote]

yeah, trust me I would love to have an area for people in endurance sports here, it would add a lot to the comunity and different ways to train. But sadly, we just don’t have a place on here for it.


#14

[quote]NTB wrote:
this is good advice, but there should be a gerneal fitness and sports forums. sure this is a lifting site but who on here doesnt have questions on more than that?
im gonna run like 400 800 and mile[/quote]

Tabata can help.


#15

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
yeah, trust me I would love to have an area for people in endurance sports here, it would add a lot to the comunity and different ways to train. But sadly, we just don’t have a place on here for it.[/quote]

Yeah I agree. We should also a performance forum here. After all, there are coaches here who can help regarding GPP, track, endurance, etc.


#16

[quote]NTB wrote:
this is good advice, but there should be a gerneal fitness and sports forums. sure this is a lifting site but who on here doesnt have questions on more than that?
im gonna run like 400 800 and mile[/quote]

I think training for the mile people run half miles. Sounds weird but when I was training for a 4 minute mile I read up on it. They said that it was all about getting as much oxygen as possible and that in order to train like they needed to they would train as intensely as possible at shorter distances. I think the reason is because at the full mile distance you are pushing your body to hard for to long and you don’t recover as well.


#17

everyone missed the joke. Referring someone to elitefts to ask about running, now that’s funny.


#18

[quote]latenight_lifter wrote:
everyone missed the joke. Referring someone to elitefts to ask about running, now that’s funny. [/quote]

There are actually quite a few track questions submitted to the sports training section, as well as questions about increasing 40 times for football. Its far more than a powerlifting website. Hell there is even a BMX professional answering questions on there now.

Elitefts is in the business of improving performance. It started as powerlifting, but has expanded to cover a very wide range of athletics.

I’m not suggesting Dave Tate will answer his questions.

Heres a link to the Cardio Equipment Sales section:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=243
look! a treadmill!

Heres a link to the first article listed on the homepage this week titled, “Understanding the Cardiovascular System”
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cardiovascular_system.htm

Here is the link to the Sports Training Q&A:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=4&__N=Sports%20Training

And finally, lets not forget the name: Elite FITNESS Systems, not Elite Powerlifting Systems.


#19

[quote]evansmi wrote:
latenight_lifter wrote:
everyone missed the joke. Referring someone to elitefts to ask about running, now that’s funny.

There are actually quite a few track questions submitted to the sports training section, as well as questions about increasing 40 times for football. Its far more than a powerlifting website. Hell there is even a BMX professional answering questions on there now.

Elitefts is in the business of improving performance. It started as powerlifting, but has expanded to cover a very wide range of athletics.

I’m not suggesting Dave Tate will answer his questions.

Heres a link to the Cardio Equipment Sales section:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=243
look! a treadmill!

Heres a link to the first article listed on the homepage this week titled, “Understanding the Cardiovascular System”
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cardiovascular_system.htm

Here is the link to the Sports Training Q&A:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=4&__N=Sports%20Training

And finally, lets not forget the name: Elite FITNESS Systems, not Elite Powerlifting Systems.[/quote]

I think he was referring more to the poor quality of athletics advice given on that site.


#20

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:

I think he was referring more to the poor quality of athletics advice given on that site.
[/quote]

As opposed to the high caliber advice given… where did you say???