Get Hench Or Die Trying

[quote]lumbahjack wrote:
Your doing pretty good man. The first back shot is great.
One question, does ‘‘hench’’ means swole/jacked/yoked, etc? Iv never heard that one before.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the compliment.

Still got a long way to go tho lol.

Yeah it pretty much means that over here in the UK.

Thanks a lot for dropping in on my log btw.

MAX OT WARM UP ROUTINE <3<3<3

Tried this out today for my first chest movement and it was amazing!

CHEST SHOULDERS (felt really great)
DB bench - 90x6 90x4 85x5 - PR
DB incline bench - 65x6 65x7 65x8 - I couldn’t do this last year even when incline db was my first movement lol
SM incline bench - 35 a side x10 40x8 40x5
Cable crossovers - 65x15 65x12 65x8 45x10
DB laterals - 30x15 30x12 30x10 30x8

I think the reason behind my relatively low pressing strength is due to changing things up too often. Starting to see way more strength gains now that I’ve stuck with db bench press.

Initial goal was to start repping the 100s in 6-8 weeks. Way ahead of schedule by the look of things.

Back workout tomorrow :slight_smile: Definitely going to hit a PR with 5 plates for a single. Maybe even a double if I don’t exhaust myself on my set with 4 plates. Going to save repping out 4 plates for after my single.

Going to start doing DB rows kroc style from now on.

Hate the fact today’s article was on back exercises.

So tempted to change things up lol may add in a set of weighted hangs after pull ups though.

Been a while since I last posted!

Still been logging my workouts just not on here.

Changed up my routine a bit, added another leg day and plan on doing cardio and core work 2-3 times a week.

Any tips on doing HIIT on the treadmill? Do you just do the preset interval option or do you go manual and change the speed yourself?

Do you think doing HIIT cardio will harm my gains in legs considering I’m trying to add a couple inches to them.

Choosing HIIT cause I don’t have the time to do morning cardio and its easy to add on 10-20 min cardio sessions after upper body workouts.

New Routine (not that much difference)
Chest Shoulders - db incline press, db bench, sm incline press, cable crossovers, db laterals
Back - pull ups, pull overs, pull downs, db rows, seated rows, rack pulls
Arms - dips, db extensions, pushdowns, hammer curls, bb preachers, reverse curls
Legs - leg extensions, squats, leg press, leg curls, rdls, leg extensions
Shoulders - db incline press, db rear delt rows (ala cordova), db laterals, db rear raises, shrugs
Rest
Legs - leg extensions, squats, leg press, leg curls, rdls, leg extensions

Going to start hitting calves before legs and back days and core/cardio on other days

Got legs tomorrow so should be logging that here

Hopefully my numbers dont go down since I’m cycling off jack3d for a while now

Your doing well for your training experience, back is quite big, especially relative to the tiny waist and torso in general is looking solid. Even 225 for reps on the squats isn’t bad at all for someone whos barely started working legs. Genetics & intelligence seem to be on your side, you could take this far. I’ll be checking in. Whereabouts in the UK are you? I’m up in Leeds at uni myself.

Thanks a lot dropping in! and for the compliments. Really focusing on getting 225 for 15+ reps whenever I go heavier it turns into a good morning/ lower back movement.

Ahh thats cool, good to have some one from the UK here. Im from London but go uni in Norwich if you know where that is lol

You got any tips on nutrition/food shopping. Aint that many wholesalers in the UK the closest costco’s is miles away from me. Food seems to be so expensive compared to the prices in US. Beginning to stock up on tesco tuna but prices seem to always fluctuate and Iceland chicken breasts are rather pricey.

Thanks for any help in advance much appreciated.

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:
You got any tips on nutrition/food shopping. Aint that many wholesalers in the UK the closest costco’s is miles away from me. Food seems to be so expensive compared to the prices in US. Beginning to stock up on tesco tuna but prices seem to always fluctuate and Iceland chicken breasts are rather pricey.

Thanks for any help in advance much appreciated.[/quote]

Yeah your pretty far then me but I know where it is. Chicken you have two options, wholesalers are you mentioned (costco or macro) are both great for it… but it’s worth checking out the local markets where you are as I’ve seen chicken breast EVEN CHEAPER then makro prices there.

Personally I don’t eat chicken much, I focus on organic free range eggs and grass fed beef, the latter working out better value per calorie then most cheap chicken anyway but with a far better nutritional profile.

http://suttertonfarmshoponline.co.uk/4952/online-shop is where I get my beef
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/391637_Organic_Eggs__Large__1_2_dozen.html is where I get my organic free range eggs

Since you have the genetics for staying lean, you can probably stick with pretty much whatever meats you want, but if you want the next level of quality, the above foods are very good.

Nice layout. Would like to see how you progress.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:

Yeah your pretty far then me but I know where it is. Chicken you have two options, wholesalers are you mentioned (costco or macro) are both great for it… but it’s worth checking out the local markets where you are as I’ve seen chicken breast EVEN CHEAPER then makro prices there.

Personally I don’t eat chicken much, I focus on organic free range eggs and grass fed beef, the latter working out better value per calorie then most cheap chicken anyway but with a far better nutritional profile.

http://suttertonfarmshoponline.co.uk/4952/online-shop is where I get my beef
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/391637_Organic_Eggs__Large__1_2_dozen.html is where I get my organic free range eggs

Since you have the genetics for staying lean, you can probably stick with pretty much whatever meats you want, but if you want the next level of quality, the above foods are very good.
[/quote]

Hate it down here its a massive change from London tbh. Only like 3 gyms here the uni one, the one i go and fitness first. Luckily I live close to the only serious gym. Pretty screwed because I’m moving away from that area gonna have to most likely bike it come 2nd year. Pretty sure the gyms up north in Leeds are much better as well as the lasses :stuck_out_tongue:

Got a market pretty close so should check that out soon and although we don’t have a costco close I think there is a makro somewhere outside the city. Thanks alot will check that out. You seem to be on point with your diet and the quality of food you eat, thumbs up to you!

Atm I think I’m going to stick with ‘standard’ quality food, still having problems sticking with eating as much as I should on a regular basis. I might as well focus on getting the calories in before I consider eating higher quality foods. But thanks for the links and hopefully shopping at makro I can cut my costs a bit lol

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Nice layout. Would like to see how you progress.[/quote]

Thanks. My upper body seems to recover pretty well hopefully my legs will too when I start hitting twice a week.
Really curious as to how cardio and core workouts will affect my leg day and whether I should make the leg workouts identical or do one heavy/one light.

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Thanks. My upper body seems to recover pretty well hopefully my legs will too when I start hitting twice a week.
Really curious as to how cardio and core workouts will affect my leg day and whether I should make the leg workouts identical or do one heavy/one light.[/quote]
I’ve squatted heavy multiple times a week before. You’ll be fine.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Really curious as to how cardio and core workouts will affect my leg day and whether I should make the leg workouts identical or do one heavy/one light.[/quote]
I’ve squatted heavy multiple times a week before. You’ll be fine.[/quote]

I hope so! Will be finding out soon.

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:
Hate it down here its a massive change from London tbh. Only like 3 gyms here the uni one, the one i go and fitness first. Luckily I live close to the only serious gym. Pretty screwed because I’m moving away from that area gonna have to most likely bike it come 2nd year. Pretty sure the gyms up north in Leeds are much better as well as the lasses :stuck_out_tongue:

Got a market pretty close so should check that out soon and although we don’t have a costco close I think there is a makro somewhere outside the city. Thanks alot will check that out. You seem to be on point with your diet and the quality of food you eat, thumbs up to you!

Atm I think I’m going to stick with ‘standard’ quality food, still having problems sticking with eating as much as I should on a regular basis. I might as well focus on getting the calories in before I consider eating higher quality foods. But thanks for the links and hopefully shopping at makro I can cut my costs a bit lol[/quote]

Well Andy Boltons gym is here :wink: its very good, I went down there a couple of times… but a little too out of the way for me… I may well train there if I live in Leeds again in the future and fancy really focusing on powerlifting for awhile.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/News/2011-11-28/Leeds_is_hottest_university.html < yeh leeds is decent :wink:

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:

Atm I think I’m going to stick with ‘standard’ quality food, still having problems sticking with eating as much as I should on a regular basis. I might as well focus on getting the calories in before I consider eating higher quality foods. But thanks for the links and hopefully shopping at makro I can cut my costs a bit lol[/quote]

Well Andy Boltons gym is here :wink: its very good, I went down there a couple of times… but a little too out of the way for me… I may well train there if I live in Leeds again in the future and fancy really focusing on powerlifting for awhile.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/News/2011-11-28/Leeds_is_hottest_university.html < yeh leeds is decent ;)[/quote]

Ohh yeah never knew he was from Yorkshire, got some pretty strong guys in this gym but not really compared to Andy lol

Haha, funnily enough my uni is the uni that was compared to yours, University of East Anglia. Bit of a compliment if they implying we got fit lasses down here. Or maybe I need to go out more lol

Gym was closed on Sunday so couldn’t do my leg session.

Did Chest and Shoulders today/yesterday for the first time in 2 months without my pre-workout supplement Jack3d. Didn’t really feel weaker which is a good thing. I should have stuck with 80s on db incline press like I did last weak but I expected to experience a decrease in strength so I used 75s.

CHEST SHOULDERS
DB incline bench - 75x10 75x14 75x8
DB bench - 80x10 80x8 80x7
SM incline bench (drop sets)- didn’t log rep numbers - 3 sets of 6-12 with a plate a side (each set was a drop set repping out with half a plate)
Cable crossovers - 65x15 65x12 65x10
DB laterals (drop sets) - 40x8 dropped down to 20x10 for 3 sets then a last set to failure - I do db laterals unilaterally

Back session today/tomorrow, going to be doing rack pulls for the first time (cutting out full deadlifts because the lower back DOMs always hinder my leg workout especially for squats and romanian deadlifts).

Uni work is a pain in the ass been missing workouts cause I’ve been to busy doing coursework and my useless gym ain’t open early enough or till late enough on week days talk less of weekends so mehh its the only bodybuilding gym in my town for back, chest, triceps and legs other gyms don’t have enough free weight. Says a lot considering my average strength levels lol

CHEST SHOULDERS
DB incline bench - 80x8 80x6 80x6
DB bench - 80x10 80x8 80x8
SM incline bench (drop sets) - 3 sets of 6-12 with a plate a side (each set was a drop set repping out with half a plate)
Cable crossovers - machine broken! -___-
DB laterals - 40x6x6 (a bit of momentum in the last few sets)

There are 2 treadmills in my gym one was in use and the other is broken so I couldn’t even start my cardio as planned

BACK
Pull ups - 25 reps rest paused

Just to warm up the back and get a lil pump before i did machine pullovers

Pull overs - 135x12 145x10 155x10
This felt really great I think doing a couple BW pullups helped in feeling the lats during this.

I may cut out the weighted pull ups cause it always turns into some sort of swinging motion using a weight belt and plates lol
Pull downs (neutral grip) - 155x12 175x10 175x8

DB/kroc rows - 90x20 110x10

handling that much weight in one hand felt draining so didnt do the usual 3rd set after this

did a set of 8 on 4 plates on t-bar rows and then a couple sets of meadow style rows

Wanted to do rack pulls at this point but the power rack is rusty and hard to adjust and the non adjustable squat rack starts at a level above my knees which would make the exercise ‘useless’ i guess.

Going to have to find a way to work around this

Keep it up. You’ll figure it out. Rack pulls at the knee are a great PC movement for me, but that would depend on your leverages. I know what you mean about feeling drained. Don’t feel bad about taking an obnoxiously long break when you feel strength is critical.