T Nation

Get Cut Without Getting Huge

[i]"Just turned 42 - what happened? +12Lbs despite no white flour, no refined sugars and 60 minutes cardio every other day (65% max hr - treadmill winter) and massive plyometers workout.

How did I shed the weight - lean out without starvation or drugs?"[/i]

…And that’s what you get with shitty fucking advice.

Fuck them.

Women that like skinny guys can fucking have them, I won’t be letting them anywhere near my penis.

“…you�??d be crazy to think Brad Pitt�??s physique was anything less than stellar.”

Well I must be a first grade fucking psycho.

The underlying fact is that most men can’t build masses of muscle in a short amount of time anyway. Presumably they sill want to be muscular. Sprint swimmers are quite muscular, more so than ‘average’ men by far.

Using them as an example the point is that in order to get from a sedentary ‘average’ western physique to a physique like a sprint swimmer takes effort.

The idea that men could ‘accidently’ become freakishly muscular is ludricous. The minority fortunate enough to grow muscle quickly wont wake up huge after carrying a TV either, still takes them years.

I think there is a focus on being lean as a reaction to the prevalence of obesity in both men and women in the west, and in the USA in particular.

When the generation of msucle heroes came about in the 80’s people werent so darned fat!

I also think many on this site tend to call ‘skeleton’ too soon as well! let’s not lose credibility by flipping between extreme assessments of physiques.

Relating all this to what women like is too general. Women are individuals and will find all kinds of physical and personal features attractive or not. The only physical characteristics that hold up again and again in studies seem to be symmetry, proportion and health along with masculine features in bone and face structure, and that is possible at various levels of musculature.

I think that picture was of my 8 year old nephew Aidan.

I’m not sure how many countless physiques the model would defeat in the Rate My Physique forum…

Skin and bones and trace elements of mythic “muscle”?

Haha the only thing I’m talking about when it comes to skeleton is the initial image. I didn’t bother to read the article. Jimmy was just throwing some subtle comedy onto the forums. This isn’t supposed to be a serious thread.

Definitely not a great article, not because of the goal, but because there’s no complete examples of how to structure training session or how to progress. Not to mention nothing about the intensity you need to use to get the job done.

There will be out of shape guys doing 10# curls and tri kickbacks thinking they’ll get a six pack.

Of course, articles like this are to be expected from the male version of Cosmo.

Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning.

Although, I admit that once upon a time I bought into this whole ‘skinny-cut’ thing. Glad I grew out of that, though.

good, the more little 130lb sitck figures the easier for me to take over the world!

Those days of bulking guys are out of style?! WTF?! Since when did building muscle and being in shape become a fad?

im actually curious as to what the average European woman would think, i mean given the choice of a “bulky” guy versus a “swimmer”.

Oh fuck, and article saying you shouldn’t bulk up muscle… No one here will get a big as, coleman, ruhl, cutler. A big body that is lean wont frighten girls and will actually get more attention from girls than Brad at Sin City. Without steroids and years of hard training nobody is getting Longest Yard size…

Since we brought up the old Brad Pitt Fight Club physique that America loves so much, I have a running question for all…

How much do you think Mr. Pitt could deadlift at that point? How much would Ryan Renolds be front squatting when he got in shape for Blade 3? Toby Maguire in Spiderman?? These are the bodies people gawk at; do you think could they move any real iron?

Retarded.

If you base everything about you from your goals in the gym to your appearance on what you think “most women” want, you are one weak individual…especially since most women don’t even seem to know what they want.

That doesn’t mean that the rest of us avoid doing things for sex, but when it comes to what makes you who you are, if that is up for grabs and easily changed based on what’s “hawt” right now, you are a puppet and a follower.

The above picture is of Brendan Hansen, member of the 2008 USA Olympic Swim team. I think it takes a great deal of dedication to reach that level, but there is no way I would be on this site or waste this much energy on training and food intake if that was all my goal was physically.

This man trains for a PURPOSE and that purpose has shit to do with what most women want primarily.

Why would a strong independent woman want someone who shapes who they are based on what they think everyone else wants?

[quote]jck524 wrote:
josh86 wrote:
Wow the guy in the main picture of that stupid ass article is small as fuck. How is that not too small? The only thing it definitely isn’t is its not too big lol.

I know we all already know this - but lets just put it out there. Guys who say they “don’t want to get too big” say that because they know it takes more hard work and dedication than they can commit to, and by saying that they don’t have to look like a failure.

Im not saying i promote the article or anything, but i dont understand why people on this site have a hard time grasping the fact that not everyone wants to be the size of a pro bodybuilder. [/quote]

And nobody will be without copious amounts of steroids. The point, that has been made maybe 1,000,000,000 times before on this site already, is that on this supposed-to-be hardcore BODYBUILDING website, the goal should be adding as much muscle mass as possible while staying relatively lean.

Your “misunderstanding” probably stems from the fact that the idiots who come here saying they want to be “ripped” at 150 lbs, without having developed any muscle mass to speak off, get flamed - and rightfully so. Brad Pitt in Fight Club is NOT bodybuilding. It is being super skinny with a little bit of muscle. The people that aspire to that physique should NOT come her and pollute a BODYBUILDING website with their crap. They should probably post on a site… why, perhaps a site like askmen.com! They have their own boards where people can compare diets, discuss combat pyramids, and the big man in the room weighs 180 lbs!

I hope this isn’t you. If it is, here’s the link you’ve been searching for. Have a nice time!

[quote]kinein wrote:

I’m not sure how many countless physiques the model would defeat in the Rate My Physique forum…

Skin and bones and trace elements of mythic “muscle”?

Haha the only thing I’m talking about when it comes to skeleton is the initial image. I didn’t bother to read the article. Jimmy was just throwing some subtle comedy onto the forums. This isn’t supposed to be a serious thread.

[/quote]

Trace elements? I think he’s missing a rear delt.

“Pay particular attention to the way you work your shoulders and chest. You�??ll notice that although lean, Brad�??s physique didn�??t include gigantic traps or an overly massive chest. In fact, his traps were almost non-existent and one could argue that his overall muscle structure wasn�??t that developed at all. The focus was mainly on his six-pack abs, which we all strive to have.”

That’s from the Brad Pitt workout.

Wow cool, now our goal is to get small!!!

The “guy” in the main image actually looks more like a girl putting her hair in a bun…

You all should take this article more seriously. I remember this one time I went to the gym, and as soon as I arrive in the freeweight area, I could feel myself changing. Looking back,I should have just walked away right then.

Instead, I proceeded to do some curls and a couple sets of quarter-squats, I think that was my biggest mistake right there. You always think, oh, that’ll never happen to me. If only I had been more cautious.

[quote]jimmyjamesii wrote:
You all should take this article more seriously. I remember this one time I went to the gym, and as soon as I arrive in the freeweight area, I could feel myself changing.

Looking back,I should have just walked away right then. Instead, I proceeded to do some curls and a couple sets of quarter-squats, I think that was my biggest mistake right there. You always think, oh, that’ll never happen to me. If only I had been more cautious.[/quote]

The only change I see is that you shaved your head.

I think this askmen thread describes nicely how screwed up that site is

“what is lifting heavy ?”

protip: it isn’t 5 lb pink dumbells