T Nation

German Volume Training, Thoughts?

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I will press on.

I have only thrown up about four times in my entire life (those during college binges). However, I was on the verge of throwing up yesterday during the 10 X 10 squatting. With a little luck I’ll be puking all over myself, come next squat workout :slight_smile:

[quote] With a little luck I’ll be puking all over myself, come next squat workout :slight_smile:

[/quote]

=) fun

I’ve been doing GVT for the last three weeks also. I have not had any weight gain and attribute it to not eating enough, though may have also lost some fat / gained some muscle.

I’ve used the program before and enjoyed it, but only intend to do one more week before switching to something else - probably something 10x3 style

How was your productivity outside of the gym? i.e. How was your energy/mental focus? I’m talking about this in the context of the entire 4 weeks cycle.
N.

It does work for a while or at least it did for me.
It is rather boring but it depends on your personality type.
Beware of injuries due to moving joints in exactly the same way for extended periods.
It is worth a try for a month or 6 weeks, no doubt.

What kind of training is recommended before this? Right now I’m doing a high volume split so I guess it wouldn’t be a good idea to do this next? I know when I do german volume I’m gonna try low volume training after cause that seems like a good way to ease off the volume

[quote]bmitch wrote:
What kind of training is recommended before this? Right now I’m doing a high volume split so I guess it wouldn’t be a good idea to do this next? I know when I do german volume I’m gonna try low volume training after cause that seems like a good way to ease off the volume[/quote]

Here is an old Poliquin “Question of Strength” sort of related to your question: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=460031

[quote]bmitch wrote:
What kind of training is recommended before this? Right now I’m doing a high volume split so I guess it wouldn’t be a good idea to do this next? I know when I do german volume I’m gonna try low volume training after cause that seems like a good way to ease off the volume[/quote]

If you are doing high volume right now - I would take 2-3 weeks and do some low volume stuff before moving into GVT.

[quote]fairbairn wrote:
Poliquin loves it, Waterbury hates it. Not sure about Thibs, but he might just go for it (?) since it is kind of related to Gironda’s thinking.

I am tempted to try it sometime, but haven’t yet. Would love to hear from people who have.[/quote]

I like this training. It works and you can’t argue with results.

Killed my wrist and elbows when I did it.

[quote]Northaway wrote:
How was your productivity outside of the gym? i.e. How was your energy/mental focus? I’m talking about this in the context of the entire 4 weeks cycle.
N.[/quote]

My productivity outside of the gym has been what it needs to be. This training method has not stopped me from completing my thesis or giving presentations on it. What it has done is left me absolutely drained. I have found myself taking naps regularly and often wake up in the morning ready to go back to bed.

After examining my food log it looks like i’ve been taking in between 3000 and 4000 calories a day split about evenly between carbs, protein, and fat. At 175#, that may not be enough for me on this program. I will definitely not continue this program after the fourth week. A deload week after week 4, then on to some lower volume work.

I have been able to increase weight on most exercises from week to week, but this may be due to poor initial weight choices (my first week I got all reps for all sets for all my exercises, perhaps too light). Definitely ready to move some actual heavy weight again.

[quote]jazzitup.bk wrote:
Northaway wrote:
N.

My productivity outside of the gym has been what it needs to be. This training method has not stopped me from completing my thesis or giving presentations on it. What it has done is left me absolutely drained. I have found myself taking naps regularly and often wake up in the morning ready to go back to bed.

After examining my food log it looks like i’ve been taking in between 3000 and 4000 calories a day split about evenly between carbs, protein, and fat. At 175#, that may not be enough for me on this program. I will definitely not continue this program after the fourth week. A deload week after week 4, then on to some lower volume work.

I have been able to increase weight on most exercises from week to week, but this may be due to poor initial weight choices (my first week I got all reps for all sets for all my exercises, perhaps too light). Definitely ready to move some actual heavy weight again.
[/quote]

Exactly the same context I am in at the moment; thanks for your feedback.
N.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
bmitch wrote:
What kind of training is recommended before this? Right now I’m doing a high volume split so I guess it wouldn’t be a good idea to do this next? I know when I do german volume I’m gonna try low volume training after cause that seems like a good way to ease off the volume

Here is an old Poliquin “Question of Strength” sort of related to your question: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=460031

[/quote]
Hmm so according to that, it would be good to do a few weeks of strength training/low volume

[quote]rainjack wrote:
bmitch wrote:

If you are doing high volume right now - I would take 2-3 weeks and do some low volume stuff before moving into GVT. [/quote]

Thanks… I think I’ll go 3-4 a weeks and do a split but only do like 6 sets per bodypart

[quote]
Exactly the same context I am in at the moment; thanks for your feedback.
N.[/quote]

I should also point out that I was modifying the GVT program slightly. I was doing 10x10 on a main lift (IE: front squat). After each set, I would rest 30 - 45s and perform an antagonist exercise (IE: leg curl) again for 10 reps at a weight that was challenging but at which I would not reach failure. I would then rest the minute dictated by GVT to perform my next main lift set.

This really was a substantial change in that it probably negates the lactic acid buildup aspect of the program, but I certainly felt like I stimulated myself in ways that I hadn’t in years doing this program.

Embarrassingly, I made these changes because that is what I thought the GVT program was. This is a good lesson for me: research what I’m doing, don’t go by what I think I remember.

My supersets were:
front squats + leg curls
deadlifts + leg extensions
close grip bench + (alternated weekly face pulls or seated rows)
incline bench + bw chinups

This was followed by some assistance work for whatever was not worked in the main superset that day (some RDL’s on an upper day for instance) and abs at the end of every workout (sometimes weighted flexion movement, sometimes isometric, sometimes rotational, sometimes a combination).

Overall, a great workout that I would not want to continue for too long.

Wait, maybe someone can clear this up for me. I had Poliquin’s original GVT book, and from what I recall (and No, I didn’t do a search on this topic -lol), it was a program primarily designed for fat loss due to the high levels of lactate that were produced, and by result, higher GH output?

I wonder because I’m in my 5th week cutting now, and aside from shorter rests, and a pretty serious dietary switch, I’m still training pretty starightfoward, hard and heavy. Maybe I should throw this is for a couple of weeks just to vary things up. Has anyone used this for cutting?

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Wait, maybe someone can clear this up for me. I had Poliquin’s original GVT book, and from what I recall (and No, I didn’t do a search on this topic -lol), it was a program primarily designed for fat loss due to the high levels of lactate that were produced, and by result, higher GH output?

I wonder because I’m in my 5th week cutting now, and aside from shorter rests, and a pretty serious dietary switch, I’m still training pretty starightfoward, hard and heavy. Maybe I should throw this is for a couple of weeks just to vary things up. Has anyone used this for cutting?

S
[/quote]

I don’t know how good it would be for cutting. Let me know how it works out for you.

I’ve just started DC Training, and I’m thinking that GVT would be pretty good to use after the blast.

I’ve heard it used mostly for increasing muscle mass, but as I said earlier, I’ve noticed weight loss while on the program. I expect that after I move to a lower volume routine I’ll notice weight gain due to this program though.

The GVT workout with sub-maximal weights would probably be a good fatloss routine, but why not do circuits / complexes at that point? It seems like it would be a more time efficient way of getting the same or more work using more muscle groups than GVT.

S
[/quote]

CT in his version, OVT, did lose weight/fat

S
[/quote]

You’re thinking of German body COMP which is 6 reps, 12 reps, 25 reps with no rest between then resting for 2minutes. It’s the little sister of this designed for fat loss.