T Nation

German Volume Training, Thoughts?

I was just wondering, what are peoples opinions and thoughts of German Volume Training.

Poliquin loves it, Waterbury hates it. Not sure about Thibs, but he might just go for it (?) since it is kind of related to Gironda’s thinking.

I am tempted to try it sometime, but haven’t yet. Would love to hear from people who have.

CT wrote a variation called Optimized Volume Training (OVT):

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459276

If I recall, it’s the same 100 reps per muscle group, but with sets of 5 heavy reps on one exercise and 5 reps of another immediately after

I done it just over a year ago! My trainer prescribed the program to me, I had only started training (literally) and weighed a measly 69kg, I think after the program I was upto about 73 which is pretty good progress.
I was physically depressed for a week or two after and I got a bout fo the flu during which I guess was just down to the severe volume and strain on the nervous system! Its a great program but puts huge demand on the body, in terms of progress in hypertrophy and strength this program reigns supreme, especially for the newbie!

[quote]Dan M wrote:

If I recall, it’s the same 100 reps per muscle group, but with sets of 5 heavy reps on one exercise and 5 reps of another immediately after[/quote]

Both will work, but I like this variation better.

It’s effective but boring as shit

I tried it about a year ago and loved it. I gained about 8-10 lbs in the 5-6 weeks I was on it. Granted part of that was because I started eating more, and I had just been on a low volume workout, but I still think it’s a good program. Just make sure you’re eating enough to properly recover and it should work well. There are not many leg workouts that have made me walk as funny afterwards as a 10x10 squat routine.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
It’s effective but boring as shit[/quote]

It hurts, but it works. You can alleviate some of the boredom factor by doing variations of the core lifts. I.E.: If you’re doing chest, start out with incline (3x10), then decline(3x10), then do flat(4x10). All with the same weight.

I wouldn’t recommend GVT for more than a few weeks. However, it makes a nice change if you’ve been doing heavy, low-rep work for a long time. It’s also a good choice if your endurance needs a kick in the pants. The lactic acid production (with short rest periods) is also good for fat loss.

Why not just try it and see how you respond???

i’m not sure how to follow the routine outlined in CT’s article.

for example day 1, do you do exercise A1, take a rest in between each set of 5 reps in A1, then after doing all five sets of A2, go to set A2 with no rest in between, take a rest in between each set of 5 reps in A2, then take a break, move on to B1 etc…if that makes sense.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
It’s effective but boring as shit

It hurts, but it works. You can alleviate some of the boredom factor by doing variations of the core lifts. I.E.: If you’re doing chest, start out with incline (3x10), then decline(3x10), then do flat(4x10). All with the same weight.

I wouldn’t recommend GVT for more than a few weeks. However, it makes a nice change if you’ve been doing heavy, low-rep work for a long time. It’s also a good choice if your endurance needs a kick in the pants. The lactic acid production (with short rest periods) is also good for fat loss.

Why not just try it and see how you respond???

[/quote]

Not a bad idea, I don’t know if that will help with strength gains, but then again who really knows right?

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have actually been following GVT for 3 weeks, I was just questioning my decision to do so, and figured I’d ask peoples’ opinions.

As someone said before, it can get slightly boring, but I have been following a heavy, low rep plan for the longest time so I thought it would be a good change.

In addition, I am finally bumping up my calories after being stupid for the longest time and under eating. So I think the bump in calories and the switch from heavy, low reps to higher volume might turn out to be beneficial.

[quote]collegeweights wrote:
I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have actually been following GVT for 3 weeks, I was just questioning my decision to do so, and figured I’d ask peoples’ opinions.

As someone said before, it can get slightly boring, but I have been following a heavy, low rep plan for the longest time so I thought it would be a good change.

In addition, I am finally bumping up my calories after being stupid for the longest time and under eating. So I think the bump in calories and the switch from heavy, low reps to higher volume might turn out to be beneficial.[/quote]

Get ready for the gains…there a comin’

[quote]collegeweights wrote:

In addition, I am finally bumping up my calories after being stupid for the longest time and under eating. So I think the bump in calories and the switch from heavy, low reps to higher volume might turn out to be beneficial.[/quote]

So how did you end up liking the program? I’m thinking about givin’ it a go soon also…

Some years back, the GVT was one of two workouts that I used. I did two weeks of GVT, then two weeks of a high rep program. It worked for me, changing back & forth for about 6 months.

[quote]Dan M wrote:

If I recall, it’s the same 100 reps per muscle group, but with sets of 5 heavy reps on one exercise and 5 reps of another immediately after[/quote]

I had pretty good gains on OVT.

Tried it for a few weeks.

It works, but after the sticking point of about 2 weeks, the results diminish and i found it difficult to bump up the weight.

Also, I found it didn’t really improve my 1RM all that much.

Ok, I started German Volume Training last week. I had previously been doing Bill Starr’s 5X5 and thought a high volume program might be in order. First workout went fine. Yesterday I did Squats 10 X 10 and was so fried that I woke up in the middle of the night with a major case of DOMS in the legs, which kept me up for quite some time.

I don’t mind the pain, but I do worry about the effects of losing sleep. Wondering if I should modify or just switch to a different program altogether. Thoughts anyone?

keep at it. GVT is my favorite program, and the gains you experience will be phenomenal. After the first week of training the pain will be much more tolerable as your body adapts.

Btw, I’m sure you do already, but pay close attention to the tempo, or the program loses its effectiveness
~steve

Take some ZMA and Z-12. That should help with the waking up part. I usually took ibuprofen after a particularly hard training. The DOMS should go away after you get used to the volume.

I thought it was great. I loved the volume, and the rep range.

Probably the best gains I have made in the last couple of years.

I like the training. I had a big change of emotions halfway through the sessions. Started feeling like it was easy then by set 7, BAM!, its like I’m doing my 1 RM every rep (especially w/ squats) because my legs were so engorged with blood. Good stuff. Gain 4 lbs, as well (doing it for a month).