German Food

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
I think that the Germans lead the world in colo-rectal cancer for some reason, but the food is great.

We used to eat at a place called Paulas in Ridgewood Queens maybe 25 years ago. Real old-school German beer and food. Those weiss beers with the lemon slices… could drink them and did drink them all night, good thing my cars all have auto pilot.

MY buddy was German and was a regular in the place. There would be old guys singing songs in the native tongue, my buddy cracks up… tells me the songs were SS related.[/quote]

Yeah, nothing is quite as funny as celebrating mass murder.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:
Why has it not taken over the world?

Meat, potatoes, gravy, sauerkraut, sausage, beer, etc…

Then there was the savoury gravy and potatoes. Is this available in other places?[/quote]

Take away the sauerkraut and you could be describing British food, but yet that for some reason always gets dogged on.
[/quote]

to be fair, German sausages are way better than British ones.

I agree though that there is some good British food and that it is judged a little unfairly on the world stage

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Yea I am struggling, I was 234 on Jan 5th and today I weighed 199.
[/quote]

God damnit, Derek, you are a freak. I went from 228 to 212 in the same period and thought I was killing it. 35 lbs.? [/quote]
Yea man I’m not right in the head. I should be at 198 tomorrow morning and then I have 2 more months. Sucks not getting to drink my Scotch.

But if I want to see 50 in a few more years I have to do it now. [/quote]

nice work on the weight loss

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

God damnit, Derek, you are a freak. I went from 228 to 212 in the same period and thought I was killing it. 35 lbs.? [/quote]
Yea man I’m not right in the head. I should be at 198 tomorrow morning and then I have 2 more months. Sucks not getting to drink my Scotch.

Do you get heavy in the Winter as well? I thought I saw you had a similar cut not too long ago. Man, I balloon up from Oct. to Jan. 1, then its time for a three month hell-cut to get back to fighting weight. I’m pretty lean at anything sub 200 lbs., and I’m going to probably try for 190 this time around.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:

Then there was the savoury gravy and potatoes. Is this available in other places?[/quote]

Take away the sauerkraut and you could be describing British food, but yet that for some reason always gets dogged on.
[/quote]

I agree though that there is some good British food and that it is judged a little unfairly on the world stage[/quote]

Britain does some very good sausages. English pork sausages (proper ones) are excellent. They’re traditionally had with a full breakfast and go well in sausage pudding, with caramelised onion, bangers and mash. My grandmother used to make stuff like that when I stayed with her in the UK and she was one of the best cooks I know. She would source the finest ingredients and do a really special meal for me on Saturdays when I stayed with her.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:

[/quote]

I agree though that there is some good British food and that it is judged a little unfairly on the world stage[/quote]

Britain does some very good sausages. English pork sausages (proper ones) are excellent. They’re traditionally had with a full breakfast and go well in sausage pudding, with caramelised onion, bangers and mash. My grandmother used to make stuff like that when I stayed with her in the UK and she was one of the best cooks I know. She would source the finest ingredients and do a really special meal for me on Saturdays when I stayed with her.[/quote]

Aye a full English breakfast is the ultimate breakfast.

Cumberland sausaged and stuff are good, but the bratwurst reigns supreme IMO

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

Do you get heavy in the Winter as well? I thought I saw you had a similar cut not too long ago. Man, I balloon up from Oct. to Jan. 1, then its time for a three month hell-cut to get back to fighting weight. I’m pretty lean at anything sub 200 lbs., and I’m going to probably try for 190 this time around.

[/quote]
I was 218 the first of Dec and then I went on a fucking tear. Was out hunting twice and two Christmas parties and got up to the 234.

I of course fluctuate up and down some, but have kept it below 220 now for a few years. Now my plan is to keep it below 200. My knees and low back insist.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:

[/quote]

Britain does some very good sausages. English pork sausages (proper ones) are excellent. They’re traditionally had with a full breakfast and go well in sausage pudding, with caramelised onion, bangers and mash. My grandmother used to make stuff like that when I stayed with her in the UK and she was one of the best cooks I know. She would source the finest ingredients and do a really special meal for me on Saturdays when I stayed with her.[/quote]

You can find some excellent sausages. I have fond memories of going to the local butcher where they would have tasters for the sausages. It’s all about finding a good butcher and farmers market.

The interesting thing about British food is the best stuff is normally done in people’s houses. I’ve yet to eat a roast dinner out that rivals anything I’ve had home made, either by myself, family or friends. The same goes for meat pies, most pubs/restaurants have to prep the pastry in advance and it’s just not the same as when it’s freshly made at home.

To be fair, British food is not fancy, it’s not the stuff of high class restaurants. It’s just wholesome, rustic, big pot meals with a ton of meat and veg. But for me that’s the best kind of food!

German food sucks. Try growing up with a mother straight from West Berlin.

Processed meats, everything overcooked to zero nutrients, nothing fresh or green. Fiber cooked right down to mush.

No wonder Deutschland leads the world in colorectal cancer. You can have it!

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
Take away the sauerkraut … always gets dogged on.
[/quote]
Anybody who takes away the sauerkraut deserves to get dogged on.

What is wrong with you two men ? Do you have tapeworms or something ?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[/quote]

To whom are you referring?

German food is great. Went to a place recently called Edelweiss in a suburb of Chicago, service was so-so but the food was great along with the beer. The place had a talented accordion old-timer as well.

I’ve also been to Germany multiple times… Berlin, Hamburg, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Frankfurt, etc. Don’t recall having a bad meal there. Need to make my way to Munich though!

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Cowboy and the Seahawk.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
I of course fluctuate up and down some, but have kept it below 220 now for a few years. Now my plan is to keep it below 200. My knees and low back insist. [/quote]

How tall are you? I thought you were tall.

I think it would be more popular, but people not knowing how to pronounce the food to order it makes it tricky. There’s a Bier Garten in Atlanta She Say and I stop at when we visit Sen Jr at college a couple times a year. Have yet to have a bad time and/or meal.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Cowboy and the Seahawk.[/quote]

Haha! Well put!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]
I was 218 the first of Dec and then I went on a fucking tear. Was out hunting twice and two Christmas parties and got up to the 234.

I of course fluctuate up and down some, but have kept it below 220 now for a few years. Now my plan is to keep it below 200. My knees and low back insist. [/quote]

I’m doing a nutrition challenge I’m going to smoke with some people from my gym. Started at 257 last week and goes for 8 weeks. Shooting to drop at least 3%bf. So far it’s actually a good amount of food. We will see how this works out. Definitely lost some of my bloat so far since I’m only doing 1 high carb day. If I can stay about 245-250 and drop >3%bf I’ll be super stoked.

I eat sauerkraut all the time with just about anything. I love it and with all the probiotics and acidity it’s good for digestion.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How tall are you? I thought you were tall.[/quote]
Im 5’10"

Max I was 500 kcal a day from Jan 6th through Jan 30th and lost 36 pounds.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How tall are you? I thought you were tall.[/quote]
Im 5’10"

Max I was 500 kcal a day from Jan 6th through Jan 30th and lost 36 pounds. [/quote]

Wait, why did you post in this thread? German food will not make you thin!