German Food

Why has it not taken over the world?

Meat, potatoes, gravy, sauerkraut, sausage, beer, etc…

I live in San Diego. Only one German restaurant in a county of 4.5 million+. My neighbor is from Germany and she made a dish called Rouladin the other night. It’s a pickle wrapped in bacon, then wrapped in thin sliced beef, kind of like an eggroll but with meat instead of dough. I’ve been to Germany and thought the food was prime grade.

Then there was the savory gravy and potatoes. Is this available in other places?

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:

[/quote]

The Allied Forces and the Manhattan Project/Trinity Test Program?

Yes, that’s the geo-political context and the ramifications of a takeover.

The food is good though so that’s more important.

Because we live in a crazy world that makes no sense and thinks fucking Tim Hortons vile chunks of dried batter are good donuts.

German food omg I fucking love it.

Luckily I know how to cook much of it. Except sausages. German sausages are amazing.

Hungarian food is pretty awesome too and French. Even British food is better than the vile garbage we have in Canada. Our salmon and bacon is good at least.

Every time I find a German restaurant, I always check it out i hopes of getting a good schnitzel with some Warsteiner, but I’m usually left looking at a menu with abominations like 'Pizza Schnitzel and ‘Hawaiian Schnitzel’ and I weep and rage at the same time.

There was and maybe still is a great little German restaurant in Leavenworth, WA called Andreas Keller and it has that wonderful smell that only German restaurants have, with parsley potatoes and Otto on the accordion.

[quote]debraD wrote:

There was and maybe still is a great little German restaurant in Leavenworth, WA called Andreas Keller and it has that wonderful smell that only German restaurants have, with parsley potatoes and Otto on the accordion.[/quote]

I drive through Leavenworth a few times a year. I am going to check that place out.

kalbsrahmgulasch In Salzburg. Nom

The day I got that it was chilly and autumn and we found a cafe that looked closed while on the hunt for food and I was so pleasantly surprised when they had a menu full of stews and spaeztle.

Being an Austrian Cafe, the dessert was fucking spectacular too.

I’m so making goulash this weekend.

Love the combo of meat, potatoes, gravy, kraut, and more of the same.

Then there’s the pretzels and the beer.

Schnitzel too is ridiculously delicious. VEAL.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

There was and maybe still is a great little German restaurant in Leavenworth, WA called Andreas Keller and it has that wonderful smell that only German restaurants have, with parsley potatoes and Otto on the accordion.[/quote]

I drive through Leavenworth a few times a year. I am going to check that place out. [/quote]

They still exist!

That makes me was to head over and spend a weekend at the Enzian and get some Warsteiner!

I’ve never been to Germany, but I have to agree German food is very good. I have been working on a project in a small town that is german/bavarian influence (part of the building code). Since German food is the only thing served in restaurants I enjoy sausage and spatzle quite often.

Meh, I prefer Mexican food.

Ive been to Germany and the food was by far the best of any other place I’ve travelled to. The beer was as well. Love German grits.

[quote]debraD wrote:

…the vile garbage we have in Canada. Our salmon and bacon is good at least.
[/quote]

It wasn’t until you pointed this out that I reflected on how underwhelming the food has been in all of my Canadian travels. My last trip to QC had me eating a lot of poutine, but plenty of places in Maine do it just as good. There’s a place in Portland that fries the potatoes in duckfat and makes duck gravy over fresh local cheese curds. Better than any I had in Quebec. It should be outlawed.

The best place I recall eating at in Canadia was a place called The Keg somewhere around Guelph. Chain steak house, if I recall correctly.

But yes, German food is outstanding. I’m not sure I had anything that I didn’t like while I was there. I will eat it all and then eat some more.

I want some now.

I love German food. This thread is making me so hungry but I’m on Shelby’s carb cycling diet right now so this is really cruel. Thank goodness there was only the 1 picture to get through…

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I love German food. This thread is making me so hungry but I’m on Shelby’s carb cycling diet right now so this is really cruel. Thank goodness there was only the 1 picture to get through…[/quote]
Yea I am struggling, I was 234 on Jan 5th and today I weighed 199. This is my last day of suffering and then I get to up the kcal at least.

Only reason I clicked on this thread cause I AM FUCKING STARVING

Went to Berlin and couldn’t get myself to try the most popular fast food there “currywurst”. My friends did and said it was disgusting.

Though I did absolutely love the German bakeries (gluten!!!) and bratwurst stands.

I wish I could live in Germany… Spent a week there and thought this was the place for me.

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:

Meat, potatoes, gravy, sauerkraut, sausage, beer, etc…

Then there was the savoury gravy and potatoes. Is this available in other places?[/quote]

Take away the sauerkraut and you could be describing British food, but yet that for some reason always gets dogged on.

I think that the Germans lead the world in colo-rectal cancer for some reason, but the food is great.

We used to eat at a place called Paulas in Ridgewood Queens maybe 25 years ago. Real old-school German beer and food. Those weiss beers with the lemon slices… could drink them and did drink them all night, good thing my cars all have auto pilot.

MY buddy was German and was a regular in the place. There would be old guys singing songs in the native tongue, my buddy cracks up… tells me the songs were SS related.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Yea I am struggling, I was 234 on Jan 5th and today I weighed 199.
[/quote]

God damnit, Derek, you are a freak. I went from 228 to 212 in the same period and thought I was killing it. 35 lbs.?

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Yea I am struggling, I was 234 on Jan 5th and today I weighed 199.
[/quote]

God damnit, Derek, you are a freak. I went from 228 to 212 in the same period and thought I was killing it. 35 lbs.? [/quote]
Yea man I’m not right in the head. I should be at 198 tomorrow morning and then I have 2 more months. Sucks not getting to drink my Scotch.

But if I want to see 50 in a few more years I have to do it now.