German Brazil Would Be...Powerful?

I got a buddy, and he was talking the other day about…hypothetically, if Prussia had settled Brazil, that it would be the most powerful country on the Earth. The USA would be 2nd best to this nation. Let’s call it Prazil. Do you guys think this has any merit? I’m Southern European, so I’m not a big fan of Nordicists, but he made some strong points… What do you all think?

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
I got a buddy, and he was talking the other day about…hypothetically, if Prussia had settled Brazil, that it would be the most powerful country on the Earth. The USA would be 2nd best to this nation. Let’s call it Prazil. Do you guys think this has any merit? I’m Southern European, so I’m not a big fan of Nordicists, but he made some strong points… What do you all think?[/quote]

Even better, the “official” language of the US could have been German.

Anyhow, South America was split between Spain and Portugal before there was a strong German navy.

It is an odd thing how people who have no track record of success for predicting just a few years in the future can be confident of validity to their predictions of how, had events been different, things “would” have turned out after 100 years or more.

Northern Europeans are the most conceptually oriented people on earth, coming up with ideas like justice for all and honest fair-dealings. A german Brazil would have been a superior country, I would think.

Pratzil?

I think Germans have influenced northamerica quite a bit (to my knowlesge, at some point in the 19th Century, about 22% were actually of direct german ancestry) . If Germans would have concentrated on founding Pretzil, not enough sperm would have been left for the US.

History would have been totally different.

Cheap fun shot:At least there would have been no Bush.

No Paris Hilton, Glenn Beck, Palin and many others… Isnt German still the biggest entnic group in the US?

German + Brazil

…This just in, if the earth would have solidified a few more million miles out from the sun, we probably wouldn’t be here…more to come.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
A german Brazil would have been a superior country, I would think.[/quote]

Why? Gemany was obviously powerfull but what has brazil done beside Brazilian Jui Jitsu and thongs.

Yeah, we need an entire made-up history to go with this. Like when did Brazil go Prussian?

Spain, as an ally (for a time) of France during the Napoleonic wars, the the lack of success of Peninsular War for the French allowed Spain and Portugal to keep the flow going to their colonies. France’s chief rival, Britain, was also able to do this. I don’t think Prussia had anywhere near the naval power at that time to break Napoleons siege of Europe. So if Brazil had been Prussian before the war, likely by the end it would have been Portuguese, French or Spanish.

I’d also think about the real German colonies that existed in that age of empire, and how many of them today still have any affinity for German culture or language. They utterly failed as a colonial power.